It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Creating your own story
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:43 am 

I just thought of this earlier... how many people do you think are going to be trying to create their own stories and mystery and stuff which may or may not be in line with the actual story?

i think it's gonna happen a lot, and it's going to make this game vveeeerrrryyy interesting, haha, so what do yall think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:45 am 

I suppose that's a bridge we'll have to cross when we come to it. No way to anticipate that at this stage.

I'm guessing, though, that the genuine story will be dynamic and engaging enough that flimsy fan stories will die out quickly.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:52 am 

oh of course the story will be dynamic and engaging, there's no denying that, that's what i'm looking forward to

just think though, get a fair enough size of a group to cooperate and something besides the main story could really kick off, and just make sure only the original group knows the truth, but then again... what if what was thought to be fake becomes real, eh?

let the mystery and chaos ensue ^.^ haha

*on a side note, physics homework sucks, haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:32 am 

If there's really no game mechanic supporting it, or it involves some bizarre idea (like: I am the reincarnation of Atrus) which is designed egocentrically, those kinds of RP situations fail pretty quickly. I personally see a lot of RP as hollow unless it has some consequence to the physical world. Especially when it involves any kind of drama, like somebody's missing relative. If it tries to conflict with the actual story then I think it'll just die off, like imagine if a DRC member walked in on somebody claiming they were somebody they weren't and they got called out, lol... So I do believe that RP which is obtrusive but has no basis in reality will be overshadowed by the very real DRC drama, as Owehn says.

Kinda reminds me how in WoTMUD (see: wotmud.org) there was an IC-post by one of the characters who's from the books which the MUD is based on, just for the purpose of calling out people who were trying to RP as his fellow countrymen (that character was the last of his people). Probably Cyan wouldn't be so harsh, of course.

The kind of RP that we should see more of in Uru is like a group of people who dress all in black, and get together regularly, sit in a closed circle, and then meditate reportedly to "Get in touch with the spirit of the D'ni". Like the Great Tree vs Safety First except with style (edit: that doesn't include the jackets). Or a society of pranksters who log on during the least crowded hours and distracting everyone by luring them somewhere else, while a team of pranksters quickly runs down and kicks around cones to form 2 rows of 3 cones which barricade several narrow corridors (that wouldn't really inhibit people, it would just be weird, right? wouldn't want to troll, of course). People stylistically utilizing the current mechanics to add flavor to the world of Uru... that's what's cool.

Last edited by Darker on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:23 am 

I already have :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Post By Greydragon on URU Obsession Forum wrote:
Hey all,

I just wanted to come here and comment on a few things on behalf of Cyan Worlds, Inc. But first off I wanted to say it’s amazing to see what you are doing. Keep trying new things and being creative.

With that said, I'd like to try to nip something in the bud.

Cyan continues to hold out hope for Uru. We hope you guys are all with us in that. The problem is that by using Uru intellectual property (including Age names, characters, textures, models, etc.) you kind of put us in a position where we have to be the bad guy. If we don't protect our copyrights and trademarks, we may have all kinds of issues down the road - both legally and story-wise.

So it would be great if you guys could keep your creative endeavors on the original side of things - i.e. make your ages from scratch using your own wonderful imaginations. That will allow us to maintain the continuity and copyrights for Uru, if we ever get a chance to.

Remember - we named it "Until Uru" for a reason. :)

To give at least one specific example: these lists are not good choices for your Age names... http://www.drcsite.org/ages/ages.shtml , http://www.dpwr.net/archive.php?showcat=7

Hope you guys see this as encouraging rather than discouraging.

Thanks,

Ryan (Greydragon) Warzecha

Basically the story of Uru is known by Cyan. The ages and how they fit in the story, the kings and the characters and they fit into the story, the stones and the book and how it all fits is known by Cyan. So what we are asking you to do is become the story teller. Look at yourselves as new writers who have the chance to write new ages, not ages previously known. Where do you feel like going today? It’s actually really exciting to be able to create the worlds you want. It just gets messy when you start trying to connect it to the story line we know about but you don’t. :) Before I started at Cyan I dreamt of fantastic ages with interesting stories of there own. Be creative and become the new writers. You guys are calling yourself (The New Tree) to make a horrible pun, become the new branch on the old tree. Become something unique and beautiful. I have faith in you guys to do amazing things.

The idea of linking books you can use, you’re just writing new one. One other thing, don’t base your ideas on other peoples IP’S (Example: Lord of the Rings World in Uru) While cool to think about. Be original...

Make up your own characters, make up your own story, make up your ages.

Thanks

Ryan

Posted long before we heard any thing about Live comeing back
you can read therest here
http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index ... 35&t=22514

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:36 am 

But if it's in the actual Uru Live world that people are subscribing to, then I don't think it's a major issue to Cyan, since then it's just people RP'ing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:12 am 

MercAngel wrote:
Well 2 points. (1) That's actually about the creation of new Ages, not creating storylines within Uru Live. (2) That was quite some time ago. Hasn't anything more recent been said on the topic?

Post subject: Recent things
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:04 pm 

The GD's quotes apply to the storyline also; If you use Cyan character's you must play nice and leave them as a side feature in your story, It's the golden rule guys do one to others....

Cyan does not want people putting words in their characters mouths that they later have to contradict in the official storyline. Or be put into the spot of being the hall monitor and edit every single fan story for content before you can try it incavern.

To many RP people have not seen that a good story is hard to find, and even harder to maintain giving fan storyline's a bit of a bad rap.

I have a feeling Cyan will more then likely support or atleast approve of fan storylines that have had the proper work and skill put into them. As proved by the shards existance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:05 pm 

I don't think this will be a problem because making a storyline is a lot of work. Only two or three people have managed to get one off the ground at all. There have been many other unilateral attempts and they've disappeared early.

This has a bad side. too. There have been many attempts to get various things going that would have been good: plays, musical performances, other presentations. Of these only Spoken Word Night has had any success.

So, you have to have a good seed, then you have to work at making the ground fertile, and then you have to keep watering and cultivating the plant. Only a few people are willing to do so, real life or within a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Darker wrote:
Like the Great Tree vs Safety First except with style.

Hey, that DID have style! Right? I mean... right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:15 pm 

well, the GT certainly were stylish in their oh-so-spiffy jackets... :twisted:

~Rils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah I'm gonna be looking forward to getting my jacket back.

In the mean time I'm happy with my Unicorn T shirt: T shirt

Last edited by Tweek on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:07 pm 

Lord Chaos wrote:
So, you have to have a good seed, then you have to work at making the ground fertile, and then you have to keep watering and cultivating the plant. Only a few people are willing to do so, real life or within a game.

i think it'd be rather fun to create and maintain, provided it was actually a good story and not something really cheesy, and that it paralleled the game in a way so as to stand alone, but not die, and not interfere too bad with the game's actual story

~Epialtes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:51 am 

Hm, I want to say a bit more on the subject of different ways to RP.

When I think of Uru Live what's foremost in my mind, in my capacity as a roleplayer (the capacity which everyone has), is that it's all canon. All that happens... is canon. As an explorer, you're living canon, in a way that's different from any single-player title in the Myst universe.

The events that Cyan is guiding along and initiating, and how players react to them, and any other ways in which players affect by their own will the cavern community and the storyline in a real and sensible way (which can primarily only take place in the minds of explorers, as there's no real way they can "physically" make a difference that I've seen, without special cases designed by Cyan such as the Pub incident)... those are what Uru's all about, really. In my mind, that's what's potentially exciting and innovative about it, not just the clever puzzles, beautiful environment, and social features. The prospect of affecting that story is what draws in many people in who are fans of the Myst universe.

Everyone should feel free to entertain themselves in undisruptive ways. However, it's interesting to note that from a canon perspective, if you try to RP in a way that the game mechanics clearly don't support (such as referencing items or actions which don't have any equivalence in actual implemented systems) then you're all just loons imagining things that aren't there. ;) Organizing sit-ins, trying to use your words to sway people's minds on real issues, or participating in creative social actitivites, those were the forms of RP that I recall dominated the previous Live, and they were all focused toward the canon. (On a side note, we could use less boring RP activites that are solely social activities... hey, I like drama, so entertain me with more Sharper-like troublemaking!)

"My three cents." ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]