It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Sorry to hear it, but thanks for the test. MS has been messing with swipe support in recent builds that could have accounted for some Windows 10 systems behaving differently than others, so it was worth a try.

Can this at all be isolated to build 1511 and prior working fine, while 1607 and later fail?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

For me all was fine through 1703. I don't go into the game often anymore but usually attend the monthly Guild meetings. Per my usual practice, I held off for a while on 1709 and finally pulled the trigger several weeks ago. The mouse issue started then.

Does Cyan have any input on this issue?

KI # 00009577

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I thought I already said that the behavior of the Win32 cursor API had measurably changed... I'm not Cyan, but I have worked on the game code more than they have in the last 5 years, so here are my observations:

Changing the mouse sensitivity would help alleviate some symptoms. The game warps the cursor back to the center when it reaches 90% of the way to any edge to prevent the cursor from going into a non-game area. The behavior change in Windows 10 build 1709 is that this change is echoed back to the client and the avatar input manager correctly sets movement to straight forward. I've tried a few different approach to fixing this, but they generally result in the cursor being able to escape the game window and you get stuck walking. I have a few more ideas, but the time to test them is looking rather slim.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Adam, thank you for comment and it clarifies to me what is going on with the mouse. I know you are a teacher and I have a daughter who is a teacher too. Your daily time is rarely your own and open school hours are just a fraction of the job.

Is there anything, with code changes from you, some of us can do to help beta test your ideas?

KI # 00009577

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's an interesting idea and would be greatly helpful for some changes. This issue, on the other hand, requires more planning and coding effort than actual testing, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:35 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
The game warps the cursor back to the center when it reaches 90% of the way to any edge to prevent the cursor from going into a non-game area.

Is this a potential issue just for the windowed game, or the fullscreen game too? You can't really leave the game area in fullscreen I would think...

Since I play only on fullscreen when offline, I wish I could have figured out how to stop Uru from doing the cursor warp entirely. But then again, I thought the warp only existed so that the player would have the cursor near the center of the screen when they were done moving around, rather then needing to find it half visible in some corner of the screen.

My thought was that it would be better to have to "recover" the cursor from the side of the screen then to have this navigation issue.

But now it's sounding a lot more complicated than that, and I have no idea if something like Python edits could potentially be used for cutting out the cursor warp behavior from ever being used or if it's too hardwired into the client to even do that (and this isn't even getting into what potential NEW problems would be caused even if I COULD disable it). But I quickly figured out this wasn't stuff I could easily understand.

If this cursor behavior is so hardwired that it needs a new client compiled to change it, then there won't be a way to fix it for Uru CC. Which would be a shame since I like messing with stuff there, but either way we certainly want a fix for MOUL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Fixing it, is also important offline; as some people are testing the ages they builds being offline... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is not possible to fix this using Python, it has to be done in the client C++ code. And, you correctly understand the difficulties involved in fixing Uru CC whose code we do not have access to. However, it is not impossible, but the approach may have to be... modified somewhat. You can do wonders with a technique called DLL injection. The only problem with this is that lots of antiviruses don't like it because it looks a lot like a virus. You are, after all, changing some other program while it's running. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Windows 10 Family x64 Version 1709 OS build 16299.201 (January 18, 2018) :arrow: Issue still there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Windows 10 Family x64 Version 1709 OS build 16299.214 (January 31, 2018) :arrow: Issue still there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Windows 10 Family x64 Version 1709 OS build 16299.248 (February 13, 2018) :arrow: Issue still there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I updated my motherboard bios, installed my new graphic card, bought a new mouse (because the previous one started to do double-clics or more when I did only simple-clics :roll: ) :arrow: Issue still there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:57 pm 

I've noticed that the cursor problem does not exist in myst 5. Is there any way to import ALL the offline URU ages into myst 5, so we can at least get the CD versions of the game working again? Of course, even if it could be done, there would be no avatar, but at least control would be restored. (just thinking out loud).

Another thing I've noticed since the windows creators update is that the game (all versions) no longer collapses to the taskbar when the windows key is pressed. Nothing happens... :(

This could be beyond difficult to fix, as well. I have heard that the source of our problems is CPU related. Meltdown and Specter are to blame. The problem is not windows related, but exists in the CPU itself. Windows is misbehaving because of the way the operating system is patched to deal with the two exploits. If true, there may be no way other than a program rewrite to 'fix' the issue, and for such an old program like URU, that is not going to happen in this lifetime... sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

poutrew wrote:
This could be beyond difficult to fix, as well. I have heard that the source of our problems is CPU related. Meltdown and Specter are to blame. The problem is not windows related, but exists in the CPU itself. Windows is misbehaving because of the way the operating system is patched to deal with the two exploits. If true, there may be no way other than a program rewrite to 'fix' the issue, and for such an old program like URU, that is not going to happen in this lifetime... sigh.

BS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
BS
What "BS" means?

"If the issue isn't fixed, I will definitely leave Uru and all the things/people that go with it":

- If the issue isn't fixed, I keep Windows 10 version 1703.
- If I keep Windows 10 version 1703, my system is less protected.
- If my system is less protected for too long, I will upgrade it to version 1709.
- If I upgrade it to version 1709, I can't test the Ages I currently build.
- If I can't test the Ages I currently build, I'll stop building them.
- If I stop building them, I'll close my website.
- If I close my website, I'll have spent several months/years working on projects that will end up in the trash.
- If I have spent several months/years working on projects that ends up in the trash, I definitely leave Uru and all the things/people that go with it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next