It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:39 pm 

I know what my problem is now, it is either my neighbors or my recents list. I logged in with one of my seldom used avatars and all the sticky lag and stuttering I was experiencing with my main avatar vanished. my main avatar is a member of a large hood so it seems the positional updating and other stuff associated with the KI is slowing down my main avatar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:42 am 

Well darn, no response to my support ticket as of yet...I even marked it as urgent and linked back to this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:29 am 

Thanakar wrote:
I know what my problem is now, it is either my neighbors or my recents list. I logged in with one of my seldom used avatars and all the sticky lag and stuttering I was experiencing with my main avatar vanished. my main avatar is a member of a large hood so it seems the positional updating and other stuff associated with the KI is slowing down my main avatar.

Yes... A lot of that stutter comes from updating the Recent list. There seems to be an interserver communication issue, and when someone that's on your recent list (or many someones if you've been in a public area recently) is in an age that's on another server, it's taking too long to get the info, so you pause waiting for it. I opened my KI and watched the recent updating as my butterflies and bahro rings paused... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:08 pm 

I got a response to my ticket, although it looks like they don't quite understand what I'm trying to tell them...
Quote:
Any time you adjust you graphical settings down like that or any way will lower your lag, try running the game and minimum graphics setting you will have almost no lag at all even with a hundred people in the city.

I'm trying to tell them WHY reducing visual quality has such a big impact on lag, but they didn't even acknowledge the fact that URU appears to be reading from the frame buffer in an incorrect manner, resulting in exponentially greater lag per-avatar, for no reason other than a minor render-engine glitch.

It would appear that the person who responded to my ticket didn't quite grasp the concept when I explained what this setting does...it isn't even a "graphics setting" in the sense that he's thinking of, as it has no impact on visual quality.

I'm at a loss here guys...should I send another ticket and hope it reaches a different person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:46 pm 

StarLion wrote:
I got a response to my ticket, although it looks like they don't quite understand what I'm trying to tell them...
Quote:
Any time you adjust you graphical settings down like that or any way will lower your lag, try running the game and minimum graphics setting you will have almost no lag at all even with a hundred people in the city.

I'm trying to tell them WHY reducing visual quality has such a big impact on lag, but they didn't even acknowledge the fact that URU appears to be reading from the frame buffer in an incorrect manner, resulting in exponentially greater lag per-avatar, for no reason other than a minor render-engine glitch.

It would appear that the person who responded to my ticket didn't quite grasp the concept when I explained what this setting does...it isn't even a "graphics setting" in the sense that he's thinking of, as it has no impact on visual quality.

I'm at a loss here guys...should I send another ticket and hope it reaches a different person?

You could try replying and ask them to give the ticket to someone else...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:46 am 
Obduction Backer

StarLion wrote:
Quote:

Why don't you add your reply to the ticket? For instance, like this:
Quote:
I think we have a misunderstanding here. I'm trying to tell you WHY reducing visual quality has such a big impact on lag, but you didn't seem to acknowledge the fact that URU appears to be reading from the frame buffer in an incorrect manner, resulting in exponentially greater lag per-avatar, for no reason other than a minor render-engine glitch.

It appears that you didn't quite grasp the concept when I explained what this setting does...it isn't even a "graphics setting" in the sense that you are thinking of, as it has no impact on visual quality.

Would you, please, reconsider this ticket under this premise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:35 pm 

I've just tested something. There's hardly anyone in the game right now, and if I leave my KI on the "Recent" page, I stutter and mean person/people everywhere. If I switch it to another page, like Age Players, it stops. Can anyone else confirm this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:14 pm 

SCGreyWolf / Marck: Good ideas, I'll send off a reply in a moment.

SCGreyWolf: I can confirm it. It happens because URU continues to cache and update the contents of the last open page of the KI, even after exiting full-KI mode. This reduces loading lag when you re-open your KI, but at the cost of bandwidth while it trys to keep the last page you had open updated. While it's covenant to have the KI re-open to the last page you were looking at, it really should revert to the home page to cover up the issue (possibly after a set period of time so the change doesn't effect the usability of the KI as much).

I might submit another bug report and/or suggested fix on that one as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanakar wrote:
One thing I keep trying to figure out is why I have such bad lag with this machine:

3.2 Dual Core P4

Also note that GameTap will only use one of those cores, by default, unless you change a setting in GameTap (which may impact the performance of other games). Search GameTap support for "dual core" for more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:13 pm 

StarLion, I'm definitely no genius, but, how easy a fix do you think this would be?

Graphical issues like this are probably what I'd like to see fixed in Uru before anything else.

I mean, I get this sort of "stuttering" too... I can't find any comparable settings on my ATI card to mess with it...

Can anyone vouch for this "ATI Tray Tools" thing?

~Joey Graphicsface

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:36 pm 

Starlion, I bow to your technical prowess!!!! You have blinded me with Science! I tried your tweaking and it seems to have done the trick for me! Thankyou, thankyou!

Did you put a link in to your post here as well in your ticket? That may also help them see what you are talking about.

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Joey Zoonishii wrote:
StarLion, I'm definitely no genius, but, how easy a fix do you think this would be?

Graphical issues like this are probably what I'd like to see fixed in Uru before anything else.

I mean, I get this sort of "stuttering" too... I can't find any comparable settings on my ATI card to mess with it...

Can anyone vouch for this "ATI Tray Tools" thing?

~Joey Graphicsface

I can. I have an ATI card (AIW x800xt) on my old comp and have ATI Tray Tools installed on the comp. It is a great tool. I particularly like the card temperature monitoring feature, with the display that it puts up in my task bar.

I was having some issues with my card that I suspected were due to it getting hot and goofing up gfx rendering. I got Tray Tools to monitor the card's temp to see if my suspicions were correct. Based on the info I was getting from the temp display during gameplay sessions led to a new gfx cooler and all problems now solved. Would have been just guess work to dial in on the problem without having the benefit of the ATI Tray Tool diagnostics.

Very little if any cpu overhead to have it running.

I don't know of any downside to having it, and if you are running an ATI card, I have come to believe it is a must have.

The interface is very easy to use.

Can't vouch for the fix StarLion suggests, at least as far as using the ATI Tray Tools utility to do it. I haven't tried to run the fix on the old comp, as I now run MOUL on my newer comp with an nVidia card (8800GTS - and don't have the lag issues on the new comp the fix corrects, so haven't tried to install the suggested fix on it either).

Hope that helps.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've been using ATI Tray Tools for several years and have never had any problems with it (I'm using it with Vista Ultimate now). There are several things that can be done with it. Some people use Fraps to get their in-game framerates. ATI Tray Tools has that built in and you can set up hot keys to turn these kind of things on and off. You can also set up a hot key for screenshots. No need to run stuff like Irfanview. Also the temp monitoring is handy.
As far as the 'flip que size' tweak, I started using it when Oblivion came out to smooth out the stuttering.

Also, if you're brave enough you can use it to overclock your video card.

Soo, I feel as Nighthawk does. It's a must have. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:13 pm 

Dudemom_2000 wrote:
Did you put a link in to your post here as well in your ticket? That may also help them see what you are talking about.
Yeah, I did include a link, but I don't think they looked at it. I've re-opened the ticket and asked to have someone else take a look, we'll see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:19 pm 

Starlion, I went to a Karaoke night where there would be lots of people and had virtually no trouble with lag. I had a friend who said her lag was so bad that she couldn't even jump to the top of the fountain. So I definitely think you have something here. Since I did what you suggested, I have had little to no lag....Of course for me the supreme test will be during an episode - I will be using my Relayer avie for that but I will let you know how it goes. I am very optimistic about this... thanks, again!

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next