It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I must be misunderstanding something. I click on either of Robert's or Donahoo's CAM links and get a static picture (Robert in his Avvie Customization and Donahoo in her Relto hut). The picture doesn't seem to update at all.

I thought this would refresh every X seconds?

Am I missing something?

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:48 pm 

It only updates when they're online. Otherwise, it just shows the last picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:00 pm 

robert: well unfortunately I did get it working, but for some reason after awhile things get preaty slow. I can't leave it running for long.

Sad thing is I believe explore.exe is being overloaded and causing my computer to freeze. I think it has to do with FTP being offloaded to windows explore. Which preaty much runs everything I have loaded. Plus having java.exe running adds to the load.

I checked taskmanager and my pagefile in use was 8gigs and it was only using 1gig of system ram. Plus I was at 100% cpu

Which is kinda sad, because I have a 2ghz cpu with 2 gigs of ram. no reason to use so much pagefile when I have 2gigs of ram, but thats windows for you.

Not sure what everyone else is running, but for me this kills my system. this might be the reason not very many updates to cavern cam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Herohtar wrote:
It only updates when they're online. Otherwise, it just shows the last picture.

Right; I haven't turned it on since I set it up. Check in Friday night about 8PM Eastern to watch the dancers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Goofy:

Wow - that's a ton of virtual memory being used! Which screen capture utility are you using? The uploader (14 MB RAM and 24 MB VM) and the applet don't take up much resources. I'm using FRAPS at a rate of 1 capture every 4 seconds, and I didn't go beyond 1.18 GB total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:36 am 

fraps full version. I have mine set at every 15 seconds and the website is set to refresh at same.

I'm not sure whats going on, but everytime I try to use it fraps or some other program freezes after awhile and I have to restart my computer.

It seems that all the programs I have in the taskbar are scrambling for resources. when I shut one down another grabs whats being released. Its just the things I have in the taskbar(ie running programs.)

Its rather strange. I guess my caverncam will be offline till I figure out whats going on. Thing is I can run fraps all day long and record movies and take screenshots all day long, but when I try using both the uploader and fraps it kills my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:47 am 

RTR, I've found a way to capture JPG images from Uru in Java, without using an external program. I will see if I can write up a simple class and maybe you can work it into your program if you want.

Edit: I sent you a PM with a working example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wonderful, Herohtar! I'll see if I can incorporate it into my next version. I'll provide a way for people to select which method they want to use: fullscreen (using your code) or windowed (using 3rd party app).

EDIT: BTW - I also received permission to use the CavernCam from Cyan legal. So we're cleared! I modified the copyright notice on the bottom of the page accordingly; if you've set up one yourself, please put the same notice on the bottom of your page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Announcing Version 2.0 of the CavernCamUploader. It has the following features:
  • A built-in screen capture utility written by Herohtar
  • An improved applet written by me
  • No third party software needed!
  • Runs on Windows and Macs (theoretically - since it is all java based)
  • Includes a web site creation utility that generates and uploads your web cam HTML file
  • Easier to use instructions
  • An FTP log feature that prints out what is going on behind the scenes for debugging

For details, visit my CavernCam site

I'm in cavern now if you want to see a live demonstration.

Thanks again to Herohtar for making this totally free, cross platform and more accessible to everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:44 am 
Obduction Backer

My CavernCam is pointed at the link-in spot in Kirel for the next 15 mintues.

http://mysthillarium.com/CavernCam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not a complaint, just a comment.

I installed the new version of the CavernCam uploader on a second computer to test it, and used the built in screenshot maker. Does it just take a screenshot of an 800 X 600 area of the desktop where you tell it the window is? Because I had an image with a dialog box stuck on it for a while, and couldn't get rid of it because I kept getting screenshots of the wrong stuff. Unless it can be configured to just take screenshots from the UruLive window, it won't work if you keep toggling out of Uru to do other things - like play music and stuff :roll: . I also had a picture of the CavernCam uploader on the web site because I couldn't shut it off fast enough.

The first version is working great for me, I think I'll keep it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

You are right - using the built-in screenshot capability in Windowed mode will look at a specified 800x600 section of the desktop. So, if you are toggling between windows, it will take a picture of whatever is on top.

But, you can disable the built-in screenshot capability and use an external utility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

I tried that but I had an error in the external program in the folder where the files were kept, and it wasn't taking any pics. :oops: I had to go to my other computer, log in with my other avatar and get a good screenshot to go up. I thought it would just reload the one image that was already in the folder, but it didn't. I had to take another one to get it uploaded. It's been a learning experience, though, don't know why there are not more Cavern Cams out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:39 am 

A feature that might be useful... what if you could select a specific "offline" image, so when you click "Stop" it copies over that image? It would be a good way to inform people that your camera is off, plus it would keep you from having an image of your desktop stuck up there if you're using the built-in capture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:19 am 
Obduction Backer

I hope nobody saw my CavernUploader dialog box with my web site url and password plainly visible. I couldn't get it down fast enough. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next