It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:03 am 

goofy wrote:
So basicly you don't have to be a gametap subscriber to play URU and the price will be the same?

Sounds fair enough to me. I'm not such a gaming enthusiast that not being able to access the whole GameTap selection would ruin my day. :wink:

I'm just happy that I can get Uru Live for 7,82 € a month! 8) (Gotta love the current exchange rate)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:23 am 

So us European wont get Gametap?
That's a little unfair in my o(pi)nion.
They could at least set lover rates for those without Gametap.. It like taxes now.. You pay for something you wont get.. :P
Oh well I get Uru Live thats for sure..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:49 am 

I hope there are other methods to pay other than credit or debit cards :) I hope to be chosen for the beta, I missed beta the first time round and only enjoyed prolougue for a too brief time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:13 am 
Obduction Backer

FreeLanZer wrote:
So us European wont get Gametap?
That's a little unfair in my o(pi)nion.
They could at least set lover rates for those without Gametap.. It like taxes now.. You pay for something you wont get.. :P
Oh well I get Uru Live thats for sure..

You could look at it this way... rather than sending $10/month to Turner/GameTap for ALL of the stuff on GameTap, you're sending $10/month to Turner/Cyan for JUST Uru Live... so your subscription has a greater monetary value towards Uru Live than a GameTap user's would.

Not saying that's how it's likely to work, but it's possible ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Alahmnat wrote:
Not saying that's how it's likely to work, but it's possible ;).

Moke hinted at something similar during a recent chat in the Cavern. It seems that Uru Live won't be available through the GameTap system only (maybe access through GT could have a time limit? ...just speculating), though they will be "connected" in some way.

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:17 am 

That is most definitely unfair and brings a serious question mark to my commitment.

For a start, I don't believe for one moment that some of the money I pay won't go to Gametap under the deal Cyan have struck, yet I am not receiving that service.

Even if ALL the money goes to Cyan, however, that is not the point. I shouldn't be making a forcible donation against my wishes. I want to pay market value for my product. If I am not receiving as much of the product as those in the US are, then I expect to pay less. This is very, very simple economic logic.

This is a terrible slap in the face for international members, and rather patronising to expect them to not mind being screwed over on value simply because they want to play Uru. Exploitative, too. And if Gametap see any of the money- which I suspect- then it is simple robbery.

Extremely disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:21 am 

Donna wrote:
I hope there are other methods to pay other than credit or debit cards :) I hope to be chosen for the beta, I missed beta the first time round and only enjoyed prolougue for a too brief time.

me, too
I don't possess a credit card. A lot of ppl in germany are used to pay w/o credit card. It would be great to have (at least) the possibility to pay using PayPal. It's not the cheapest but easiest way to transfer money internationally for me.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Alahmnat wrote:
You could look at it this way... rather than sending $10/month to Turner/GameTap for ALL of the stuff on GameTap, you're sending $10/month to Turner/Cyan for JUST Uru Live...

That would be great, but I don't really think it's going to be like that.
Still, people should have the option to pay less if they only get Uru Live and not the rest of the GameTap services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:38 am 

Indeed, I doubt it is going to be like that- after all, if it was, I think a lot of people would choose to do that anyway, wanting more of their money to go to Uru.

As this would cut Gametap out of the equation, and as this deal rather depends on Gametap, I assume, I doubt such an option is available. It therefore seems likely not non-US players will be paying money to Gametap and getting nothing back. That's outrageous, really.

Ian is right, it is as simple as that. If you CAN'T get Gametap, you shouldn't be expected to pay as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:59 am 

Lets everyone calm down. We don't know how any of this is going to work in terms of payments or Gametap access, and i don't think we'll have any solid answers until closer to the launch.

There's no reason to get all worked up over pure speculation, based on no facts whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Just wanted to add that I'm willing to pay the 10$ in any case (that's what I expected to pay for just Uru back from the Ubi times), but I wouldn't be surprised if many other people wouldn't on the basis that they're paying the same for less. Perception of what you get is very important in marketing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:49 am 
Obduction Backer

subumbra wrote:
There's no reason to get all worked up over pure speculation, based on no facts whatsoever.

Exactly. :roll:

A time limit (let's say, 10 hours a month) for those who play Uru Live through their GameTap subscription (IF Uru Live will be included in the GameTap system in this way) could be a nice way to balance things... and, most of all, a way to let more people experience the life in the Cavern and make them join a full-time Uru Live! :wink:

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:36 pm 

Frankly, there are enough apparent facts visible now for me to be at least very worried, unless some other reassurance comes along.

We were told the FAQ would be updated to reflect concerns about Gametap being US only. Well, it has been changed- simply to say you can do it without Gametap but for the same price.

The obvious conclusion is, therefore, the one reached above, that there is worry about- that non-US players are forced to pay the same rate for less service.

Until I hear different, I have every reason for aggravation.

Like Ian, I am probably going to play. But it does irritate somewhat. And my friends who I invited to UU, who are less hardcore into Myst as I am, almost certainly won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:42 pm 

Ushgarak wrote:
We were told the FAQ would be updated to reflect concerns about Gametap being US only. Well, it has been changed- simply to say you can do it without Gametap but for the same price.

The obvious conclusion is, therefore, the one reached above, that there is worry about- that non-US players are forced to pay the same rate for less service.

I'd like to think it this way: all players round the world pay a tenner to get Uru Live, but the US folks get additional GT material as a freebie. Basically the same thing, but does not sound so negative. :)

I really prefer this to not getting to play Uru Live at all. It's not fair, but it's not fair to assume that GT would go international and have all the lisence fuss just for the sake of one risky new online game, either. There's some economic logic. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:48 pm 

Well they could simply lower the rates for non-US players.. ;) Easy as pie..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next