It is currently Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the good thing about posting here is that you make your wishes known.

I'd like to think that the price for non US subscriptions (Uru Live only, no extra Gametap features) is not already set "in stone".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:30 pm 

If I do sign up for URULive*, I won't go the GameTap route if I have a choice. I will be a tad annoyed if a percentage of my subscription fee still goes to GT. I feel the $9.95 fee is a good value relative to what other online games charge and if a portion of that has to go to GT to keep URU alive; I'll deal.

*I don't have XP and haven't committed to spending $100 dollars of my limited budget to buying an OS I don't really want/need simply to travel to an alternate reality that I'll have limited time to dwell in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:37 pm 

Teedyo wrote:
I feel the $9.95 fee is a good value relative to what other online games charge and if a portion of that has to go to GT to keep URU alive; I'll deal.

And this is the point of the whole matter, it doesn't matter what service is used for the subscription. The point of all this is that most (if not all) online games (MMO) are all about $10 to $20 USD a month regardless of additional features. So stating that you should pay less is not fair by any means.

Personally, I would choose to subscribe to Cyan, rather than to GameTap. Even though they seem to have a great number of older games, I just do not see myself wanting to play many of these on any regular basis and so, if I have the option to do so, will subscribe to UrU Live only at the $10 a month subscription fee. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:32 pm 

Quote:
Personally, I would choose to subscribe to Cyan, rather than to GameTap. Even though they seem to have a great number of older games, I just do not see myself wanting to play many of these on any regular basis and so, if I have the option to do so, will subscribe to UrU Live only at the $10 a month subscription fee.

but at least those in th US have that choise were has those out side US do not so it seem's fair that those international player's pay a reduced amount for what seem's reduced membership to Game Tap.
also what the international element have to consider is the transfer fee on top of there subscription which could raise $10 to $11 or $12 so there for the international element would be paying alot more for alot less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:34 pm 

I don't mind of GT gets a cut of Uru Live's monetary intake, after all, they're helping Cyan bring it back to us. No matter who did this, they're not going to do it for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:36 pm 

This bothers me everytime I think about it.. If they could just find a solution for this not-so-fair issue.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:38 pm 

Cross-posting:
Quote:
First off, I think we can rest assured that Gametap isn't going international. If they do, it will only be a pleasant surprise, but I don't think it would be a good idea to count on it.

Second, if there's a discount for non-US players, what will happen? US players will be forced to pay extra for a service they may or may not use, especially if they decide to go the UL-only route rather than through gametap.

A third option would be to give a discount for choosing UL alone rather than with the rest of gametap. This is better for us, but not for Turner (to whom we are all indebted), since that makes his rather speculative investment less lucrative. So that's probably out.

Finally, $10 per month isn't really that much. I had been steeling myself for something closer to $15 or $20, which would be harder to deal with. I haven't got money pouring out of my ears (I'm one of those poor college students), but $10 each month is something I can handle. It just means choosing to live the rest of my month more frugally.

Let's just be glad we have Live back, and forget this squabbling over who gets the better deal!

Hoping to see you all in the cavern soon,
Owehn

And about US subscribers having the choice, so they should pay more: Those in the US didn't choose to have a choice, and if they chose to subscribe only to Uru Live and not Gametap, they'd get the same service as the non-US subscribers, but having to pay more money, ...
It could go around in circles all day.

I agree that having non-US subscribers forced to pay the same but without the choice of a Gametap subscription seems unfair, but I also think that there's no realistic and simple way to fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:19 am 

Unlss Turner seperates UruLive entialy from GameTap and just charges the $9.95 a month for UL internationaly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:29 am 

From my point of view. I can take gametap or leave it. as long as I can play URU. How the money is spread around doesnt bother me. thats up to the bean counters.

I've looked at gametaps games and most if not all of them aren't for me. with the exception of the Myst games, but I already have all of the ones they have on there. Don't need to pay someone else to play those.

Truth is its all about keeping "URU Live" Alive. thats all I really care about for the moment and letting as many people as possible know about URU live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:21 am 

I think that this thread is in danger of running away into hijacked territory by trolls / extremists who want to wind up the situation.

As an international member I'm currently neutral on the issue, as I don't know the full price yet nor do I know if an international service of gametap is going to be set up. Its possible that they could decide to operate like Gamespy and Gamespot, both online game sites that allow international and American members in the future if a mechanism at the moment does not exist.

Obviously it would be nice to get a service and play Uru Live, but personally I don't mind paying a higher subscription price if the game is good.

Greeters Guild Greeter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:23 am 
Obduction Backer

I have been waiting for uru live to come back for 2 years, I have always thought it would be back and I have always thought we will have to pay something. I thought it would be even more expensive than the price announced.

Cheer up everyone and look at the bright side: Turner and Blake could have decided to give Cyan fundings but at the only condition that uru live goes through gametap. As it is, they decided to make it available to all of us, everywhere in the world, and it must have cost more money and must have been more work for everyone in Cyan and in Turner.

I don't care at all if I can't register to Gametap cos I don't live in the USA : I am just happy to have live back.

So THANKS CYAN AND BLAKE to not have left the non USA residents out :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

I want to be optimist and think that this won't really be an issue in the long run. Still, the "just be glad that Uru is back" is an argument which you can't really use with someone who's wondering whether he should care about Live in the first place. We hardcore fans will pay anything we can afford; if we can do it, we will play it. Joe Average, instead, needs to be convinced that it's worth to spend the money for the game and 'hey, better than nothing' is not a really good marketing slogan. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:37 pm 

*YEAH THAT* above me. Thanks Zam. For 2+ years, I've lived for the day that we'd hear the news Uru Live will be back, with new content. I knew we'd have to pay. Because I'm a Canadian, I can't get to use GameTap. So what? It's just games that I don't have time to play anyhow. As it is, my husband will likely complain about me spending time on URU :wink: But oh well, I'll try and play in the mornings, and leave the evenings for family, etc.

But as far as revolting against having to pay the same as people with a GameTap subscription, you sure won't see this girl saying any of that. Any way of getting URU Live is fine for me.

Bottom line. :) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:22 pm 

It is not at all trolling or extremist to point out the inherent unfairness of this deal. It's not as if a boycott is being urged, or copies of Uru are being burnt in the streets. It IS unfair, no two ways about it. It's not THAT big a deal, but it's worth comment, especially in a thread on a discussion board specifically designed to discuss issues. People are going to be genuinely upset by this; it's worth discussion.

The idea that looking at it that the US get a bonus rather than non-US get penalised is a matter of perspective, though it is worth noting that the reason it's not being seen like that is that the Gametap angle is being pushed so hard.

Nonetheless, as I say, it isn't that big a deal. Graywolf is right- the situation could be a heck of a lot worse than paying ten dollars a month. This situation is a shame, but not a disastrous shame.

However, Graywolf's other point is something I touched upon earlier. See... I am not convinced that, if you go down the non-Gametap route, that Gametap get any less money. Because if that were so, I think rather a lot of people would take that option, wanting their money to go to Cyan alone.

If that happens, GT aren't making money, and their interest in this operation kinda ceases. So I reckon that. no matter whether you subscripe to GT or not, GT still get the money. That's part of what bugs me, if I cannot get GT, that I still pay them as if I was a subscriber, which I am not.

So frankly, if you are in the US, I don't think it makes much sense to not go for GT, else you are simply refusing stuff being offered for free, it seems.

If, on the other hand, it does turn out that the non-GT option means Uru gets more money... well, that might be different, But I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:34 pm 

Ushgarak wrote:
It is not at all trolling or extremist to point out the inherent unfairness of this deal. It's not as if a boycott is being urged, or copies of Uru are being burnt in the streets. It IS unfair, no two ways about it. It's not THAT big a deal, but it's worth comment, especially in a thread on a discussion board specifically designed to discuss issues. People are going to be genuinely upset by this; it's worth discussion.

I'm not sure if you were here or not earlier, but I think Erandel was refrerring to a since deleted anti-American type post that was there.

Personally, while I would have perhaps liked GameTap (it would have helped convince my family to give me the money to pay for my subscription), the price of UruLive is still less than your average game subscription, so I'm of the opinion that it's not too bad when you look at it in that light.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next