It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:53 pm 

I'm sure that whatever marketing Turner employs outside the U.S. will not be of this form:

Come play Uru Live for only $9.95 per month through GAMETAP! Gametap offers a bunch of online games, including Uru, for only $9.95 per month! The first two weeks of signup for GAMETAP will be free, a $5 value coupon! Except that Gametap isn't offered outside the U.S., so you'll just pay the same except for only Uru.

It probably will be of this form:

Come play Uru Live for only $9.95 per month through Turner Enterprises! (I won't even bring up gametap because it's not offered here.)

It's just that we diehard fans jumped on Gametap's announcement (which incidentally is why they were stressing Gametap), so we saw it in the first light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:01 pm 

Yeah, that's fair enough.

Though I would be surprised if there is actually specific international marketing. I reckon the publicity will be actually on Gametap itself; outside of that the word will have to be spread by word of mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Also, rather than looking at it from the perspective of "Uru Live players who play through GameTap get all this extra stuff!", look at it this way:

GameTap subscribers are being given access to Uru Live as part of their subscription to GameTap.

GameTap is a game aggregate, basically, where you can get a massive number of games for insanely cheap. Adding Uru Live to that pool isn't so much a move to give Live subscribers in the US a ticket to a bunch of other stuff as it is a way to instantly make Uru Live accessible and playable to a massive player base at no additional cost to those players. Given the concern over numbers and those willing to pay that we had last time around (which ultimately led to Live's early demise), enabling people who are already subscribed to a game aggregate service to access Live seems like a no-brainer. To enter the realm of pure speculation, Cyan would probably receive a percentage of GameTap payments based on what percentage of subscribers played the game and for how long, while those playing without GameTap would be paying directly into Live's maintenance and development costs (and a certain amount of that would be going to Turner, who owns GameTap, since they're going to be the ones running the servers).

Anyway, it's not so much a "subscribe to Live and get GameTap" sort of thing as a "subscribe to GameTap and get Live, void where prohibited" sort of thing :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

They'll have to make significant changes to the non-US press release then, since the current one starts with “URU LIVE” LIVES ON EXCLUSIVELY AT GAMETAP. (And this assumes that, this time, Uru will actually get some visible marketing) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:57 pm 

Perhaps Uru Will simply be advertised through game tap (turner) :idea:

That seems logical to me, and Uru will be a "standalone download".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Ian Atrus wrote:
They'll have to make significant changes to the non-US press release then, since the current one starts with “URU LIVE” LIVES ON EXCLUSIVELY AT GAMETAP. (And this assumes that, this time, Uru will actually get some visible marketing) :wink:

I think it's worded that way because technically, GameTap will probably be running all of the servers for Cyan's game, and the biggest mass of potential players will probably come from GameTap initially. And, technically speaking, it's probably the GameTap division of Turner that is paying for this, so it's not like they're really lying, they're just over-exposing themselves, which is hardly unique for big companies ;).

I do agree, though, that the international release will probably be worded a bit differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:42 pm 
Morningstar wrote:
A time limit (let's say, 10 hours a month) for those who play Uru Live through their GameTap subscription (IF Uru Live will be included in the GameTap system in this way) could be a nice way to balance things... and, most of all, a way to let more people experience the life in the Cavern and make them join a full-time Uru Live! :wink:

Ok a couple things. First of let's assume I sign up for Gametap. I don't want to pay $10 for Gametap and another $10 for Live. But at the same time its not worth it to me either to see that I can only connect to the Cavern for only so many hours. That is just outrageous. Now if you all are right and either situation is true Gametap will loose my money and I will pay Cyan directly. I don't need the extra games if I'm going to pay double or get less time in the cavern. Either way would rip off the U.S. subscribers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:59 pm 
Cyan Employee

We will give you more information when we receive it.

It was very important to both Cyan and Turner that international explorers have access to Uru Live. I was worried that I might have to tell out international fans that they won’t have access to Uru Live. I am glad I am able to say “International explorers will have access to Uru Live.”

The FAQ currently says this on the issue –

Q. When will Uru Live be released?
A. Uru Live is scheduled to be released during the holiday season 2006 within the GameTap service.

Q. What is GameTap?
A. GameTap is a subscription service offering more than 500 of the greatest games and is now a launch platform for original games and the home of more than 300 popular and original shows.

Q.What if I'm not a GameTap subscriber?
A. Access to Uru Live will be available outside of GameTap for the same monthly fee but players who enter this way will not receive any of the extra benefits offered by GameTap.

We will have more information on this issue in months ahead.

Ryan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd happily give $10 a month to get Live through any routing I can.

I suspect I wouldn't use the other features of GameTap even if I did sign up, and frankly I've been using URU for years now virtually free so I probably owe someone a chunk of money already.

Add up what you spent directly on Uru, expansion packs, Kagi keys, and the like...

... now divide it by the number of hours you've spent in the cavern already...

... seems like a good ratio to me. I'm here - where do I pay the money?

Sno-Cat (in Peterhead, Scotland, this week.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:02 pm 

I'm with sno-cat on this.

When Uru Live went belly up and the 'announcement' was made, if someone said 'actually you can save it for $9.98 a month' (that's £5.30 ish in real money) I would have printed the money there and then regardless of middle men, extra access to software, choice of portal.

This deal should have been struck 2 years ago in my opinion. We're all winners in the cavern except me at heek !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:46 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Starfyre wrote:
Morningstar wrote:
A time limit (let's say, 10 hours a month) for those who play Uru Live through their GameTap subscription (IF Uru Live will be included in the GameTap system in this way) could be a nice way to balance things... and, most of all, a way to let more people experience the life in the Cavern and make them join a full-time Uru Live! :wink:

Ok a couple things. First of let's assume I sign up for Gametap. I don't want to pay $10 for Gametap and another $10 for Live. But at the same time its not worth it to me either to see that I can only connect to the Cavern for only so many hours. That is just outrageous. Now if you all are right and either situation is true Gametap will loose my money and I will pay Cyan directly. I don't need the extra games if I'm going to pay double or get less time in the cavern. Either way would rip off the U.S. subscribers.

This is how misunderstandings begin, and I hesitated to quote them, but it's a good example of the challenge a company faces to be undistracted from the real and honorable job at hand.

One person asks how something might be done. Another, with no connections to anyone in the company who ACTUALLY knows anything, makes a supposition. The company itself might not even have established the details for itself yet. The second person is outraged by the supposition, saying inflamatory things like "this is outrageous" rather than even "this would be outrageous" as if it were a verified fact from a bona fide source at Cyan. But the would-be outraged person might even still realize it's just a guess out of thin air, and simply doesn't write their meaning well. Here comes a third person who skims, sees a so-called fact, and suddenly Cyan has to send out their firefighters for no good reason other than people are trying to guess about things they'll find out eventually anyway - from the only source qualified to release accurate information: Cyan Worlds.

For the record, Cyan has stated - very unambiguously by the way - the price will the same whether it's direct or through GameTap. This means there will be no premium for Uru Live on top of the subscription cost of GameTap itself.

Cyan has also stated - unambiguously - Uru Live will be available internationally. Again, at the same incredibly inexpensive price. Unbelievably, people who want what they don't have are actually complaining about that, too, because the GameTap subscription - unavailable outside the US - includes more than just Uru Live. As if they weren't just here for Uru Live anyway. As if something has been taken away from them by virtue of the rebirth of Uru Live instead of GameTap and Turner being its savior.

Last edited by JWPlatt on Mon May 15, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:58 pm 

Nicely said JWPlatt. I've been ignoring this thread per your very good point. I don't know anything to actually give out an answer.
If you don't like the kitchen..... no that's not it... don't counter your chickens before they... no... It's better to have one hand in.... noooo.....

Just wait and see what the subscriptions going to be. They probably haven't even ironed out those details yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:11 am 
Creative Kingdoms

In the 'URU Live trailer on GameTap' discussion greydragon wrote:
FreeLanZer wrote:
Great video although I don't like whats being said at 00:28. :(
I think Cyan needs to declare soon how it will be distributed to international people and how to pay for it and all that.

To International Explorers:

You will be able to join Uru Live from day one.

For now please don’t stew on the GameTap trailer and press release saying “available only on GameTap.” Cyan has not forsaken you. We will explain in the next few months the details.

Thanks

Ryan

There! You see? They are the good guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:42 am 

I was also interested to see that new Sam & Max game content will be available through Gametap. I was disappointed when Lucasarts pulled the plug on the new Sam & Max game a while back, so hearing about Gametap's involvement sent me searching the net (since I'm not in the US, I can't sign up for Gametap). I found this item, which seems to suggest that Gametap has used similar wording to that used for the Uru Live announcement, and that it seems to have created similar confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:33 pm 

And in both instances Cyan and TellTale have no publishers for there games. Other than themselves...in steps GameTap for easy distrubution amoung the US.

But TellTale start a download service for the games you buy, and after the first Bone episode became a hit they released it in boxes. But not published in shops. This has continued with Bone Episode 2 and will happen with Sam & Max as stated by TellTale.

The same will happen with Uru.

All the "Exclusive to GameTap" is called advertising, plain and simple.

It will be along night in if you went around counting up all the "exclusive" announcements used everywhere.

"Best sign up to GameTap they have 'exclusive' games"
"Best listen to this radio station they play 'exlusive' tracks"
"Best watch this TV station they show 'exlusive' shows"

We all know these statements are false.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next