It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Progress?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Hey, Everyone!

I don't know if anyone remembers me back from the Myst Worlds Uru forums, but I sure do remember all of you! ^_^ It's good to be back...or, rather, in a new home!

Anyway, I have a question about Uru Live.
Does anyone know whether Uru Live will or will not reflect our progress from The single-player game, being as Uru Live seems to have retained the POTS ages?

I mean, can I basically pick up from where I left off in POTS or will I have to do it all over again?

...Which isn't necesarily a bad thing, especially if I'm among friends, but still...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:00 am 

No. You WILL have to do it over again.

Sorry. The engine just isn't compatible.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Uru Live will not import progress from previous Uru products. (I am told this is because they're using a new physics engine.)

But it'll be fun to go back and revisit stuff, eh? ;)

(Cross-post, wahoo! :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:13 am 

I wouldn't want you guys to have a leg up on us newbies either, lol....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Also to keep in mind...

While the original quest from Ages Beyond Myst will be part of the new Uru Live, Cyan has indicated that the "plot" found in the To D'ni and PotS expansions will not... for the most part. Ages from those two expansion packs will find their way into Live, but things will be different since... well, we'll have people in the cavern again.

I think they intend to consider the "story" from To D'ni and PotS as past events... Apparently, multi-player Ages and puzzles had to be reworked to fit a single-player adventure after Uru Live was shut down that first time. There are now indications that those Ages will be re-reworked back into something closer to what Cyan originally intended. Saying all that, Cyan has also indicated that they will not ignore past events (i.e. - Uru Prologue, To D'ni, PotS, even Myst 5); but they do wish to move forward with the story.

So, I guess we'll see where that goes!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, yes, but, I mean, we have all these ages that we got. Is that all in vain?

Ooh, wait a minute, I see. You're saying that this is a different game, really, then URU...It's sort of like a sequel, almost. So it's sort of like Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time was- many elements were the same, but they had to be re-obtained in completely new and different ways.

...huh...

Well, I can't wait. I can't wait! I'm so excited to be able to plau Uru...with other people! how cool! ...i never did the prolouge because I had dialup, but now I have cable, so.....YAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:34 am 

Reverend Vader wrote:
Saying all that, Cyan has also indicated that they will not ignore past events (i.e. - Uru Prologue, To D'ni, PotS, even Myst 5); but they do wish to move forward with the story.
That makes sense and fits with their "ever evolving storyline" aspect they'll have with Uru Live. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

TakuaKaita600 wrote:
Well, I can't wait. I can't wait! I'm so excited to be able to plau Uru...with other people! how cool! ...i never did the prolouge because I had dialup, but now I have cable, so.....YAY

You're not the only one. We're all on the edge of our seats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:40 pm 

Ingeniosa wrote:
I wouldn't want you guys to have a leg up on us newbies either, lol....

hehehe…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:07 am 

personally thats kinda cool for me.. Ive gone through URU and all its expansions a few times...but sometimes get lazy... now ill have to go through them again (which isnt bad at all) I always notice somethign deifferent each time.. But ill also get to do it with friends..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:10 am 

Well, the way I see it, it all makes sense. Maybe the Uru Prologue did happen, things were shut down but that many people decided that they still had to explore, therefore triggering events in PoTS and the second expansion.

Or maybe this will be included in a legend, one that many people followed to the end and that the "reworked" ages are the real ages, and that the extra quests people followed are merely stories.

If you think of it this way, it builds into a fabric, especially since Myst V refrences the fabric as well in a different way.

It will be interesting to see what live is like when fully released. I just hope that the international version is available at the same time as the US version.

Greeters Guild Greeter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:45 am 
Obduction Backer

The timeline on the the DRC's site gives a pretty good idea of how all the past events still fit within the existing backstory.

www.drcsite.org

(Looks like the DRC site needs to be updated... But since Cyan is hard at work getting ready for Uru Live's relaunch, I consider them forgiven. :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:21 pm 

Theres something else to be bourne in mind here. Whilst a lot of us have been there done that got more installs we i can wave a stick at. ( How many of you out there have got an install of UU with the KI for the shards and another for D'Mala and an install of ABM for old times sake?) There is going to be a whole lot of people coming to game for the first time.

I expect my first few weeks (possibly a couple of months) in Live will spent doing stuff I've already done else where. But thats fine by me cos I'll being doing it in 'Live' playing the as it was meant to played. In fact I will feel priviledge that I am getting the chance.

So whilst I'm reliving the wonder I felt when I first joined Prologue, theres going toi be a whole lot of players experiancing it for the first time,

So sure for some of us 'oldtimers' ther'll be some feeling of how many times do I have to do this. Even doing the same thing again will be in a different context so it will be subtly different.

The people we should feel sorry for are the beta testers who by now have probably forgotten how many times they have completed the same age in there hunt for bugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:03 pm 

When the game is launched i understand that alot of you think you will have to redo alot of the puzzles you have already completed previously. May i get some insight as to what these starter puzzles are? This question is coming from a total newbie who has never played myst but is very keen at trying the online game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is it worth directing Lynka at Until URU, peeps?