It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:38 pm 

It don't cap speeds that low. I downloaded it from Fileplanet at lot faster speeds then that. I got upwards of 330 kb/s, which seems to be my max as thats what I get for most downloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:45 pm 

Yeah, my FilePlanet download this morning went by at about 400-500 kb/s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
> Windows 5.1

That looks a really odd way of saying Windows XP! You should still be able to right-click and run as administrator.

Guess you can tell I'm not particularly technical, huh? :wink:

Anyway, did as you suggested (ran as administrator) and still got same error. Now what? (Thanks!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm 

Are you logged in to an account with Administrator rights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 pm 

Raniass'i wrote:
It don't cap speeds that low. I downloaded it from Fileplanet at lot faster speeds then that. I got upwards of 330 kb/s, which seems to be my max as thats what I get for most downloads.

Weird, it could be my location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:43 pm 

Drakmyth wrote:
1.) Open the Task Manager (ctrl + alt + del)
2.) Click the "Processes" tab
3.) Select UruLauncher.exe
4.) Click the "End Process" button
5.) Click the "Yes" button on the dialog that appears

Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 for every UruLauncher.exe in the process list. Once they are all closed. You can restart the patcher.

I'm not sure why this is an acceptable solution, but doing the -exact- same thing with a batch file is unacceptable :( Someone please explain it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 pm 

Xestrix wrote:
Drakmyth wrote:
1.) Open the Task Manager (ctrl + alt + del)
2.) Click the "Processes" tab
3.) Select UruLauncher.exe
4.) Click the "End Process" button
5.) Click the "Yes" button on the dialog that appears

Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 for every UruLauncher.exe in the process list. Once they are all closed. You can restart the patcher.

I'm not sure why this is an acceptable solution, but doing the -exact- same thing with a batch file is unacceptable :( Someone please explain it to me.

the batch file (I realized after i created/posted mine) Decreases the time it takes for a person to do that, (it takes an average user prolly 5 seconds to do what the batch file can do in .001) which increases the ammount of people hammering the server at any given time, which further increases the stress on the server and decreases the ammount of time the server has to cool off.

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

JEBWrench wrote:
Are you logged in to an account with Administrator rights?

I right-clicked the MOUL icon and selected "run as" administrator, and put in the password. It said "downloading new patcher" which seemed to finish and that screen closed. Then the computer sat silent a long time (ok, maybe 7 minutes), then the error message appeared which said "Failed to delete old patcher executable. Access is denied."

In the processes list, I can see "uru32.tmp" with username "administrator" and mem usage 4,400K in case that's at all meaningful.

I'm at a loss.

Additionally- this computer only has one account and it is a "computer administrator" account type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think you have to make urulauncher.exe and / or uruexplorer.exe run as administrator. Those are the programs doing the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very interesting, but in the repeated 'End Process and Relaunch' game, I discovered that cr*ppy ol' Task Manager does not really end the process immediately. It can take up to a minute! How did I discover this you may ask?! Well, by running Task Manager and Vista/7 Resource Monitor simultaneously. I found that doing End Process via the Resource Monitor actually gave you a fair readout of how long it actually took to end the UruLauncher.exe process. Try it and you'll see. (XP users, I think you're out of luck, unless you have some 3rd party Resource monitoring/configuration utility you can use. I could be wrong...)

Hope this helps.

[BTW, I played for a few hours into the wee hours EST, but it took until 11PM EST +/- to get in. All the wierd chop lag was gone this time. Things are definitely improving.]

RR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
I think you have to make urulauncher.exe and / or uruexplorer.exe run as administrator. Those are the programs doing the work.

Hey, I think that did it!! Now I'm stuck on "checking for patcher update" just like everyone else. I feel MUCH better. :wink:

Thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've been getting a black screen of death. I think this is what's going on:

Quote:
The game freezes after the first loading screen before creating my character.
This error is usually accompanied by a stack dump, though it may be hidden behind the game window. To close the game, either Alt+Tab off the game, and back onto it (bringing the stack dump to the foreground) or press Alt+F4. You can also try to access the Task Manager, though due to the game changing the screen resolution this may be difficult. It is currently unknown what causes this, and there is currently no solution. This problem does prevent you from playing the game. The best advice I can give is to keep trying and hope it doesn't happen.

I tried the Alt + Tab twice and saw the frozen sign on screen. I'm trying to repeat the error today to confirm, but have yet to login. I'm considering deleting the program and re-installing if it does repeat. Does anyone have any advice at all? :(
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:19 pm 

Ju'lee D wrote:
Rusty_Russell wrote:

Hey, I think that did it!! Now I'm stuck on "checking for patcher update" just like everyone else. I feel MUCH better. :wink:

Thank you!!

There's donuts and coffee on the table next to the ...............HAY quit throwing snowballs I wasn't ready

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:42 am 

One bug that shows up often but was not mentioned in the original post is: Secure File Preloader Failed

AFAIK the system tries to download a new executable every time URU starts. This is done to prevent anyone from hacking the innards of the old executable to gain some sort of advantage like switching on privileged commands. Anything which prevents this new executable from being loaded and replacing the old one yields this message. Since it only seems to show up during extremely heavy server loads I'd guess that there is nothing to be done at the user's end to get around it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:32 am 

not sure if its been brought up...but the "Crashing before avatar" thing is solveable only by uninstalling the game... i had the problem and it was because the Patcher crashed while it was installing the files and for some reason now believes that all the files are installed.

KI #12987306

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next