It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:23 pm 

Hey, everyone -- I'm pretty much the newbiest of newbs here (this is my first post), so sorry if I leave any pertinent information out, and please feel free to ask me for whatever other details are necessary.

I've had this problem lately where when I log into Uru, I can get up to a certain stage in my exploration, and then the system won't let me link anywhere. I can get to Relto, and I can then get to the Nexus. Occasionally, I can get to ages I've already "solved," the only such age in my case being Teledahn. However, when I get to these points that I mentioned and then try to link anywhere else -- to an age I haven't explored, or back to the Cavern -- I get an eternal loading screen. The black screen with the linking book and circles pops up. The loading time is estimated at five minutes, but when that five minutes is up, it goes back to the beginning and says it's going to take HOURS to load. The clock is overestimating, because it always drops down sharply and I usually only have to wait five minutes like before, but every time the countdown finishes, it just restarts. There's no end in sight, and I don't get any error message. The only thing I can do is force quit the application and try again, which never produces different results.

My stats go thusly:

Laptop Make & Model:
Toshiba Satellite L505
Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit
RAM: 3 GB
Internet connection: High-speed DSL, no signal interruptions (i.e., I don't think the problem lies with my internet connection, but I have few details on the network here because I'm borrowing an unfamiliar laptop and using a family member's internet configuration)

Anyone have any ideas? I've seen similar issues like this in the forum, but my symptoms were slightly different, so I thought I'd give my problem a thread of its own.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:37 pm 

Try deleting the file "tos.txt". Then launch the game again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 pm 

Lars Nordstrom wrote:
Try deleting the file "tos.txt". Then launch the game again.

Sorry -- again, newb here. You're going to have to walk me through this. Where do I go, and what do I do step by step? Without clear and precise instructions, I'm sure I'll mess something up inadvertently.

UPDATE:
Actually, I seem to have found the file, and deleting it had a clear effect on the way the game loads. Gimme just a sec to see if my gameplay has changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:01 pm 

That seems to have fixed my problem. Thanks, Lars! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hopefully that fixed you! If not, one other thing I've seen that can have a huge effect on loading times is using wireless... if your laptop is connecting wirelessly, try hooking it in via network cable and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!

VidRoth -- KI#50637