It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:13 pm 

Hi,

I have played three adventure games from Gametap and have noticed my Gametap folder was getter bigger and bigger after each new download. (even if removed from my favorites and/or game Vault, after playing them)

After finishing a game, we have an option to clean the Gametap folder of all games by using the "utilities tool" that comes with it but we get a warning that all the games on a pc will be erased.

So I decided to make a little experiment and instead of using the Gametap utilities, I deleted the whole file through Window Explorer. My Until Uru was not deleted but the desk shortcut was.

Different story for TeamSpeak, everything was deleted (program and shortcut.)

Is this normal ?
Why cannot it deletes "only" its own games ?
GameTap support said we had no other choice... !!! ????

Thank you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Suggestion to the people in charge of these forums: would it not be a good idea to create a "Technical forum" to centralize all tech. questions and facts ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree, Artic_Wagon, especially as we get closer to Uru Live opening, that we should have a Technical Forum.

I don't know if I'll be much help, but as far as I know, if you go to My Gametap, I think it's Account Settings or something, and there go to Local Storage you'll see the Gametap games you've downloaded. There you can remove the games you downloaded through Gametap. When I've done it, I've seen the games I deleted go down in size (at least through the Gametap interface).

If you mean the folder size is getting bigger and bigger, as you view it through Windows Explorer, I suspect Gametap may keep the games you deleted on your computer until they need to be overwritten. I did notice when I first got Gametap that the "Maximum Storage" (under the Local Storage section) was set to the amount of freespace I currently had on my computer (120 GB). I lowered "Maximum Storage" down to 50 GB, and I suspect, if it works the way I think it does, that it will use that maximum amount and not really delete games off my computer, unless it needs to to make way for new games. If that's how it works, then for you I'd suggest lowering that "Maximum Storage" amount.

I hope this helps. I haven't experimented with it too much, so these are just my wandering thoughts. :)

EDIT: Oh, just saw too that you said something about removing them from your My Favorites. The My Favorites does nothing but organize the titles in a way so you can quickly access the ones you like. It has nothing to do with what you have downloaded on your machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:39 pm 

As an asside, you can delete them from your hard drive if you know the location of your Gametap folder, and the actual names of the encrypted files that gametap saves. They are not obvious though. My gamefiles are located under <drive>/Program Files/Gametap/volumes/games

There is an interface to delete specific games you do not want any longer though. Just click "My Gametap" then "Account Settings" and finally "Local Storage". Each game that you downloaded from gametap is listed there with a convenient "Remove" button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 pm 

Thank you very much to Dan'nee and Latharion for the response.

@ Dan'nee
Quote:
If you mean the folder size is getting bigger and bigger, as you view it through Windows Explorer, I suspect Gametap may keep the games you deleted on your computer until they need to be overwritten

When you have finished a game and decide you will not replay it again
and decide to delete it from your "storage" at Gametap, It really should be deleted from your hard disk too.

Why ?:

my first answer would be that with time and after having played some or many of the available games, it does make a big difference when you scan your pc with security applications or like when you do a search on you hard disk.

And if you have more than one user account on the pc, each playing their own gametap games, your hard disk could be filled up rather fast even if you lower the maximum storage down to 50 Gb for each user.

@ Latharion
Quote:
There is an interface to delete specific games you do not want any longer though. Just click "My Gametap" then "Account Settings" and finally "Local Storage". Each game that you downloaded from gametap is listed there with a convenient "Remove" button.

Do you know as Dan'nee suspect, that they are not deleted from the hard disk too ?

After manually deleting the full Gametap folder from the program files on my pc, the new free space went up by 6% of 145 Gb (re: checking and after a defrag)

Joke:
I guess that, in a not so distant futur, each house with a full family will have to be equiped with its own big server. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
When you have finished a game and decide you will not replay it again
and decide to delete it from your "storage" at Gametap, It really should be deleted from your hard disk too.

I completely agree. It should. I only made my speculations based off of your comments that the folder was getting bigger and bigger. Did you delete it from "storage" at Gametap? When you did, was it deleted from your computer? I haven't actually tried it myself, so maybe someone else who has Gametap knows what's going on...? :) Just trying to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:06 pm 

Dan'nee wrote:
Quote:
Did you delete it from "storage" at Gametap? When you did, was it deleted from your computer? I haven't actually tried it myself, so maybe someone else who has Gametap knows what's going on...? :) Just trying to help.

When you use the disk space management tool in User Settings to remove a game, it does indeed delete the game from the hard drive. There is an option to remove all game files for a certain game or to keep the saved game information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:05 am 

@ Dan'nee and Weirga

ooops ooops, I can only guess I went the wrong way or did not use the game storage properly.

When I told you I was not a pc expert, I really meant it. :lol:

I am pretty certain both of your response will be a great help to other newbies like me.

See you in one of the pubs in Uru live if one of my suggestion is chosen. I own you a few beers.

Thank you again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:55 am 

Another thing to consider is that a lot of storage may end up being used by the GameTap cache, which stores, among other things, infocards and video. There's probably a way to get rid of that stuff only

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:35 am 

Maratanos wrote:
Another thing to consider is that a lot of storage may end up being used by the GameTap cache, which stores, among other things, infocards and video. There's probably a way to get rid of that stuff only

Either way it should be a great /feedback to give gametap. More control of over whats left on our systems might be nice. Kinda like internet explore and other browsers have away to delete temporary files

leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:09 am 

goofy,

I certainly agree with your comment which says it better than mines. :oops:

Thank you for "your support" on this quest. :lol: :lol: