It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:05 pm 

Just wondering if there have been any improvements to the actual game engine, or if it has basically been left untouched :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Both graphics and physics engines have been upgraded (if you count the change from havok to Ageia as an upgrade :)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:58 am 

I only heared about the change in the physics engine? Where'd we hear about an upgrade in the graphics?

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:14 am 
Cyan Employee

Some graphics features have been updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:15 am 

Quote:
I only heared about the change in the physics engine? Where'd we hear about an upgrade in the graphics?

Yeah...no graphic update is my understanding. The pictures we've seen from beta look pretty much how they did in UU.

EDIT: Whup, GD beat me to it.

*Puts his foot in his mouth* :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Uru Live is using an updated version of the engine used for Uru the last time. I believe GD has referred to it as "Plasma 2.05".

Here's the lay of the land, as far as Plasma goes...

Plasma 1.0 was used for realMYST. It had no physics engine.

Plasma 2.0 was used for Uru: Ages Beyond Myst and Uru Live. It is also currently being used in Until Uru. Plasma 2 uses the Havok physics engine, and support for Intel GMA 950 graphics cards was added in the release of Uru: Complete Chronicles.

Plasma 2.1 was used for Myst V: End of Ages. All of the network code was removed, and the Havok engine was replaced with an open-source alternative (whose name presently escapes me). It sports a number of additional graphics improvements over the Plasma 2.0 code, including faster load times, higher texture resolutions, and seems to be capable of pushing a few more polys than 2.0 can (though that's purely speculative on my part).

Plasma 2.05 is being used for Myst Online: Uru Live. It has a few back-ported features from Plasma 2.1, but is mainly built from the old Uru Live code base because of the included networking code. Most of the improvements to Plasma between 2.0 and 2.05 are back-end related, so the game will look almost identical to the version released in 2003. However, it has a different physics engine (Ageia PhysX), and the server software for the engine was re-written from scratch, based in part on the need to improve its scalability, and in part because they made the previous release's software available as part of the Until Uru shard initiative, and don't really want shard owners knowing the back doors to the live server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:21 am 
Cyan Employee

We moved some of the graphic tricks that we did in Myst V ( a different engine) into the Myst Online: Uru Live engine. We didn't do a full rewrite of the graphics engine.

Or what Alah said. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:40 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
Plasma 2.1 was used for Myst V: End of Ages. All of the network code was removed, and the Havok engine was replaced with an open-source alternative (whose name presently escapes me). It sports a number of additional graphics improvements over the Plasma 2.0 code, including faster load times, higher texture resolutions, and seems to be capable of pushing a few more polys than 2.0 can (though that's purely speculative on my part).

AFAIK it's ODE (http://www.ode.org/).

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide