It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:26 am 

UbiqriD'NIculous wrote:
Thanks, RAWA.

I hope there will be a "year subscription" option for players who would like to go that route. It seems that such an option would give the renewed project a good financial kickstart and showing of support.

Actually that option would be best for me as my cash follow is seasonal being a student.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:29 am 

hogarth wrote:
It seems to be the general model that other online games allow you to subscribe at a monthly, quarterly, or semi-annual rate, with discounts offered to those who sign on for the longer time periods. (Some even offer hourly rates!)
I assume this is the sort of "reward" RAWA was speaking of - though it would be cool if there were in-game rewards as well.

He might be speaking of both...on an MMOG I play, they sometimes make special items that are only available on holiday weeks. It's kind of a way of rewarding the players who continue playing rather than waiting for updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:31 am 

I didn't want to start a new thread for our question, because it is related to the current subject... hubby and I play the game together. Does the suscribtion cover the both of us (or household), or does each player have to suscribe separately?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:20 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Good question. I suspect you will be able to create as many characters as you want on the same computer, just as you can now in Uru. You would play one at a time.

But what if you have two computers and you both want to play at the same time? I've been wondering that myself. They might not even have figured out those details yet. One license for the entire household (multiple computers @ flat $9.95)? One license per computer (#computers x $9.95)? Family plan (discount)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:56 am 

With other online games, only one character from each account may be logged on at the same time, so the scenario in Jewel's case would be that each person playing would need to have a separate account, unless Cyan takes the unusual step of offering a "family" or "household" discount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, that is the way it was going to be in the previous version of Uru Live, i.e. you would need separate accounts if you wanted to simultaneously play. I'm hoping that they can be a little smarter about it this time around. I would prefer a multiplayer account rather than separate accounts. The reason for this is that I have three potential Uru Live players in my family, but it would be very rare for all three of us to play simultaneously (I'm not even sure I have 3 computers in the house that would meet the Uru Live specs anyway). I would like the ability for any 2 of the 3 to be able to play simultaneously. I would be willing to pay up to the price of two separate accounts, but I want the avatars to be together under one "multiplayer" account so we could all have our "prime" avatar available to play with together, regardless of which of us wants to play.

It would be nice if there was a discount for such an account, but that brings up issues of sharing an account with other non related people to save money. Perhaps such a multiuser account would only offer a discount if any simultaneous use of the account was from behind the same external IP (i.e. two players behind a router with NAT enabled, which is a typical scenario for home setups).

Well, I suspect this is all a pipe dream, i.e. Cyan has got more important things to worry about ...

Post subject: license
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:48 am 
Obduction Backer

...just one thing you can't do Cyan please..
I really hope there wont be any lock to a specific computer.
..that you will need to renew every time you reinstall your computer.

So many programlicenses nowadays is locked to the hardware on the computer, and I've had so many problems with my last PC so I think I reinstalled it at least ten times this year. And every time I had to contact several software companys to give me one more installationlicense.
Its a living nightmare.
Same time I acctually have 7 computers in my house, including labtops, mac, linux ect, so sometimes I buy new hardware and rearrange hardware parts in others, or change one of my computers to be a test computer and another one to be the ultimate playercomputer.

So pleace, -let the license be for me, not my temporary computer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:21 am 

Yes, something like that would be great for me. UU is on my desktop and when I go on vacation I take my laptop (but it doesn't have UU). I think I tried to use UU on the laptop as well, but it didn't work.

(Just to be clear, it DOESN'T work, right? I'd need another Kagi key, or something to get it on my laptop.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:18 am 

The FAQ said that people who don't subscribe to GameTap will still be able to subscribe to URU Live. Will this be the route that those of us who don't have credit cards can take to URU? As mailing a check each month would get to be a pain, I like the idea of an annual subscription.

Please - please - pretty please - don't lock those of us who don't have (and don't want) credit cards out of the cavern. :cry:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:01 am 
I would say right now Cyan doesn't have a way in place to accept Checks. If I remember right during Prologue it was said at that time when it went Live that they would be accepting only Credit/Debit Cards. So till the find a way to accept checks I would say those without Credit/Debit cards are probably out of luck.

To Cyan: Might I suggest Paypal.

With Paypal it can debit the users bank account (skipping the check writing process) and deposit it into a Cyan account at Paypal. Then Cyan can have Paypal wire the funds into whatever Bank they desire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:13 am 
Obduction Backer

I have never heard of a bank not offering debit cards for checking accounts. You might have to ask for it, they may not just give it to you, but I haven't heard of a bank you can't work something out with. (That's not to say it doesn't exist anywhere, just that it's worth asking at your bank if they didn't give you one already.) Debit cards come from your own bank and work through your checking account; there aren't debit card companies like credit card companies. If your bank doesn't do debit cards, it's probably worth switching to one that does.

It should be possible for at least the majority of people to get a debit card without much trouble, and it's good to have because it's accepted a whole lot more places than take checks.

If you don't have a bank account... it's just a good idea in general to have one, to keep your money safe. I suggest everyone who is old enough to be making online purchases have a bank account.

And that's it for Annacat's free financial advice... :)

Another vote here for long-term subscription options, preferably six months or a year. I'd pay either of those. I'd rather not have one more bill to deal with each month. ;)

Annacat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:30 am 
Creative Kingdoms

A debit card is a workable solution if you don't have or can't get a credit card, but be aware of the substantially increased risks for fraud.

The difference with fraud in dealing with debit cards is that the money stolen comes out of your account, rather than an account owned by a bank or a credit card company. As a result, your bank may charge you overdraft charges if a criminal steals more money than you have. If you have outstanding checks, the bank may also return those checks and charge you another overdraft fee for each check.

Also, debit cards do not have the same level of legal protection as credit cards. Federal law limits your liability as a credit card user for fraud to $50. You also have the right to dispute charges and the right to withhold payment temporarily for fraudulent charges. However, this law does not apply to debit cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Again, though, your bank's policies will vary. I've banked with four different banks (five if you count pre-merger) and I've never had a debit/checking account where I would have been held responsible for fraudulent charges or resulting overdraft.

It's certainly an argument for checking into your bank's policies (because if they say in writing you aren't responsible, then yes, you do have legal recourse, because you're under a contract with them.) By all means shop around, and ask about the extent of your liability. But it doesn't necessarily mean you should avoid debit cards... or checking accounts... just get one with terms you like. :)

All the risks of a debit card are the same as the risk for a regular checking account. As long as you're careful with your card (use it only in secure and trusted locations, avoid sketchy ATMs, don't give information online, etc.) you're probably as safe or safer than using a check, which leaves a paper record of your account number. I'm unaware of any argument for checking accounts but against debit cards (if used wisely, obviously.)

I didn't mean to turn this into a pro-debit rant. I like them, but whatever. I'm just saying that people who don't have credit cards have other options, and while it's absolutely true you have to weigh the risks, you may decide it's worth it.

Annacat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

...pre-payed or rechargeable credit cards. You don't even need a bank account to get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:49 pm 

As I'm in Scotland and wont be accessing through Game tap (not sure through what yet) will I be paying the subscription as well and will it be $9.95 as well or will it be a different amount?