It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Windows 7 and URU?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:02 pm 

Since getting URU to work on my MacBook is seeming a little too confusing and a bit hopeless... I was wondering if anyone has trying running it on Windows 7 (my new PC is running Windows 7)? I know a bunch of my games no longer run, but I was wondering if URU might?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am running it in WIN 7 working great for me. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yep, works right outta the box, no configuration changes needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Which part of the Mac install do you find confusing? If you tell us where you're stuck we can break it down for you :)

And I run MOUL on Windows 7 and Snow Leopard and have had no problems with either.

Last edited by tanshin on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 pm 

i've not had any problems with running moula on win7 - haven't had ANY issues with win7 and any programs, in fact!

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:20 am 

no probs with 7,far supierior than any other set up :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:14 pm 

Wow! You guys are so awesome for replying to me! ^^ Thanks!! I also want to report that I've just discovered that my new (well... less old...) copy of Myst 3 and my original copy of Myst 4 actually both work (and work well!) on my Mac! I never read the cases carefully and therefore never noticed that they both work on both of my systems! Super happy fun times!

Also! I need to get a new router before I can get URU working on my comp since my current router and Windows 7... Not such good pals. Lame. Ah well!

Thanks to everyone who replied! ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:21 pm 

Same thing here in London. No problems at all running on Windows 7. Good Luck, hope to see you in the Cavern.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 am 

I have found Uru to run perfectly on my Windows7 PC, But I did experience big problems getting it to install. At the start of installation a window opened where a choice had to be made followed by clicking on 'next'. I made the choice but the 'next' button failed to highlight. and installation stopped. I discovered that if I clicked on 'Cancel', a new small window opened asking if I wished to 'Resume' or 'Complete' the cancellation. If I chose 'Resume' then installation would proceed to the next window and the same thing would happen again', i.e. process locked up until I clicked on 'Cancel' followed by 'Resume'. In this way I hiccupped through the installation process until the installation proper began. The progress bar indication which shows the percentage of the installation as it installs failed to advance and just stayed on zero percent. After 3 minutes I clicked once again on 'Cancel' followed by 'Resume' and the bar moved across to 40% completed. Another 2 minutes and repeated the 'Cancel' and 'Resume' and 60% completed. Eventually the bar reached 100% and from then on no more problems. I think there must be something about the install program which is incompatible with Windows7.

Last edited by churchman1000 on Tue May 07, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:38 am 

I've not experienced anything remotely like what you are describing--I have Windows 7, and I download the installer, run it, and in no time flat it's installed perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Might be the version of Windows 7 you're using. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (which comes with 32 bit emulation) and it works fine in all incarnations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm 

If you installed the game in Program Files, uninstall and then reinstall in some other directory.

To make it go faster, create some other directory like UruLive, copy your current install into that directory, uninstall the original game, then rerun the moulinstaller and select the new directory as the install directory. Since all the files are already there, they won't need to be downloaded again and you will up and running in a short time.

This workaround applies to Vista, Win7 and (probably) Win8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:06 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

johnsojc wrote:
If you installed the game in Program Files, uninstall and then reinstall in some other directory.
I've never found that you need to uninstall - just drag the folder that MOULa is installed in out of Program Files to somewhere else. The one thing you might need to do on top of that is to edit your desktop shortcut (right click -> Properties) to set the "Target" and "Start in" values to match the new folder location.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:43 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
I've never found that you need to uninstall -

I was never sure that the registry entries were properly cleaned up unless I uninstalled.

on win7:
(Computer\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MOUL)
(Computer\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MOUL)

plus additional entries if you set compatibilty mode. These may get properly reset if you rerun the installer. <shrug>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Gehn installer assumes those registry entries are correct, btw.