It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:32 pm 

Problem Installing the Plasma Plugins
PlasmaMax Global Utility Plugin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another little Myst-Uru problem has appeared to haunt me.

I just re-installed 3ds Max 8 which I use for Age Modding. I'm having a problem adding the Plasma Plug-in.
After doing all the steps (copy .dll files, put the 2 files in the plugins directory, and edit PlasmaMAX2.ini)
I re-start 3ds Max, and...

I'm getting an error saying,
"PlasmaMax.gup failed to intialize. Error: 126 - The specified module could not be found."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Max still starts and runs, but without the plugins.
I've had this happen many times before and I solved it by re-copying the .dll files. But not this time. The error is persistent.

And, different than previous times, the "Plasma" item was added to the Menu Bar, but all of the menu items are "MISSING" (MISSING:1 MISSING:2 MISSING:3 etc. etc, where such items as "Component Manager" ought to be.

Why? I hope someone knows more about this than I do and has a permanent fix for this one.
(Does anyone know how to open the .gup with Maxscript, find out what the trouble is, and maybe edit/fix it?)

Image r'Ricard KI#1479684
" MUSTARD??!!! Don't let's be silly!! "
Learn URU Modding at www.IndyURU.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Try downloading Dependency Walker and opening PlasmaMax.gup with it. That might give you a hint about what the missing DLL is. If you can’t figure it out, post its output, and hopefully someone here can help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another good source of information...Maybe post this here: http://forum.guildofwriters.org/

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:14 pm 

Thanks, Charura
Yes, maybe Diafero knows the answer.

Christian,
I did run Dependency Walker on PlasmaMax.gup to see a grand list of DLLs not found.
They were in the "3dsMax" main program folder (where they belong, n'est-ce pas?), so I moved them to the "plugins" folder.
On re-start, still the same error.

Here is my Dependency Walker window now:
(with LIBMMD.DLL selected)
Please click this thumb to see it properly.

Here is a link to the ~.dwi file, if it's of any use: PlasmaMax.dwi
I do appreciate all your trouble. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm 

-------------
SOLVED!
-------------
Here is a report and the solution for anyone who may encounter this or a similar problem with the 3ds Max Plasma Plugin.

I uninstalled 3ds Max and re-installed AGAIN (for the 'many-eth' time). When uninstalling I had to be sure to manually delete some Autodesk/3ds Max files that were left behind by the un-install. I re-booted Windows before running 3ds Max for the first time. 3ds Max ran correctly.

I then did the usual steps...
-1) ...copied the ~.DLLs from Complete Chronicles into the Max main install folder.
-2) ...put 'MaxPlasmaLights.dlo' and 'MaxPlasma.gup' into the plugins sub-directory.
-3) ...put the 'PlasmaMAX2.ini' file into the plugcfg sub-directory.

I re-booted Windows, started 3ds Max, and as expected, got the MaxPlasma.gup Error.

I ran Dependency Walker on MaxPlasma.gup to get this:
List of DLLs ...cannot find the file specified. <-Click it to see.

Except for IEShims.dll:
I put all of the reported DLLs in the 'plugin' folder. -Didn't work.
I put all of the reported DLLs in the installer folder. -Didn't work.
I put all of the reported DLLs in the 'Windows\system32' folder. -Didn't work.
Then, I put all of the reported DLLs in the 'Windows\SysWOW64' folder -Didn't work...
--- BUT/Mais! -----
That did not work, but it did give a new error message: "You must put the binkw32.dll into the installation folder"
I moved only 'binkw32.dll' back into the 3ds Max installation folder, and Voila!!!! It works!

So, here's a summary.
-1) I put the DLLs reported as missing by Dependency Walker into the 'Windows\SysWOW64' folder, EXCEPT...
-2) the 'Binkw32.dll', left in the 3dsMax install folder
-3) and 'IEShims.dll', ignored.

Now, I can only assume that all this mess has something to do with Windows 8 User Access Control, because I never ran into this problem before. And, I expect it also has something to do with having the 64-bit operating system version of Windows 8. This because of the need to put the DLLS into the SysWOW64 directory. Of course, 3dsMax 8 and the Plasma Plugins are pre-64bit, 32-bit apps. It begins to make sense now that I figured it out.
I'll incorparate these findings into Jones's installation instructions at IndyUru.net.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks again for this, Ricard.

I too have just had to install Max 8, as my new computer's video card's drivers are incompatible with 7 (but 8 runs fine!)
And, of course I had the same problem you've just described. I ran Dependency Walker as Christian suggested, and the one .dll file that was completely missing from the transfer from MO:ULa was binkw32.dll.

And I believe that is because the current version of MO:ULa no longer USES Bink movies, but the Plasma plug-in still wants to see that file in the Max installation. So the file must be procured elsewhere.
I was able to locate binkw32.dll in one of my installations for a 3rd-party shard.......placed it in Max's root folder, and everything was happy... no moving files to SysWOW64 required. :mrgreen:
(Win 8.1 64-bit)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:33 pm 

Hello, All.
Well, here I am back to this topic after a year and a half of trouble-free 3dsMax/Plasma happiness. I just ran into a new, unexpected, and I've-never-seen-this-before glitch. (I am always puzzled and exasperated when, each time I install Max and the plugins, I get a different error scenario when nothing on the pc is different than the last time I did it!)

I just re-installed 3dsMax 8 and the Plasma plugins on my Vista-64bit pc. I've had Uru modding working on this pc for a long, long time now. I decided to re-do this pc, starting from scratch with the OS and fresh installs of everything. I re-installed Complete Chronicles, 3ds Max 8, and the original old Pasma plugins.

CC works correctly. Max works correctly, and the plugins are working again after a few of "the usual" wranglings and experimenting with the dll placements (includng Bink). But now I ran into my new problem when I go to Plasma Export and export my max file to Complete Chronicles. I get a "plConvert" error window, saying, "Unknown error during convert".

Have any of you Uru modding technical geniuses run into this one before? I'm eager to hear your advice.

Thanks, as always, ever so much.
(Yes, of course I'm an Obduction backer!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:00 pm 

I remember that one.
here are a few links that might help

bottom of this page
https://guildofwriters.org/wiki/Max:Exporting

heres when it drove me nuts :shock:
https://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6285&p=65727&hilit=plConvert#p65727

and your not alone I found several threads on GoW about the same issue
https://forum.guildofwriters.org/search.php?keywords=plConvert&sid=c60fdc3dcd3d4870485a3bfe368df7f8

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:48 pm 

Thank you, Karkadann
Yes, installing PhysX 2.6.0 from MO:ULa worked. Modding with Max is up and running again.

It's funny that I had neither crossed paths with this before, nor even seen before those other forum posts about it. After these several years of re-installing this stuff at least twenty times, I thought I was an expert!

I realize now that the variable this time is that I had not re-installed MO:ULa, so PhysX 2.6.0 never entered the picture. That's an interesting detail. I also realize that I had MO:ULa installed in the past only by chance. As I go back over the instructions for installing the plugins on various websites (Dustbird - DeepIsland.de - GoW.org - IndyURU.net - and The Magician's Movies), not one of them specifies that MO:ULa MUST be installed for this to work.

There are so many posts by so many people disappointed that there is still nothing new on URU live after all this time since the new open source business. Well, I can certainly understand that there may be more people interested in participating in URU modding but quite understandably discouraged by how difficult it is to get all these things working in order to do it -- let alone all the barriers at Cyan's end -- and then the time and effort required to create an age in the first place. Those Myst enthusiasts who have actually managed to achieve some results in Age building should truly be commended for their dedication.

Whew! This install took frustrating hours and hours for me. I'm so burnt-out now that I may need a week's break from it all before I can get back to some modding.

Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:11 am 

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” :wink:

There is also a Max AV animation file that might come in handy
http://www.writers-guild.org/Forum/showthread.php?tid=151
and some other usefully info on various other threads on the site
http://www.writers-guild.org/Forum/index.php

its a sister site to GoW with mostly Max/Plasma info

E=mc2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:15 am 

Oh, yes.
I know of the writers-guild site.

I was in touch with Emor when he first started up the website. I am on that forum but I "drifted away" several months ago and I haven't signed on in a long time. I'm glad you reminded me of it.

I downloaded your Max Animations file. It is very interesting to me and I want to take a look at it, but I cannot get it to open properly.

First, it's looking for the brick texture file along a path in your pc's ....\steve\documents\Mozilla Firefox\..... folder. I can't seem to find a place on my pc to put the bmp file where Max8 will see it properly.

Second, I am having a Python Component error telling me the "ScopePython" component is missing. If I proceed to open the max file, I just see a blank black workspace and more errors.

Maybe you know how I can deal with it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:52 am 

that max file was made with MOULaPlugins917 I guess I just assumed everyone had that version

OK the brick texture, I think the best bet their would be to put it in the Maps folder under Max and navigate to it from the Materials editor.

since he Scope pythons use the "MOULaPlugins917" with the associated pythons. Its basically looking for a updated version of the scope python, and I cant be sure but if you delete the python its looking for in the components manager and in layers and use the tutorial Sirius was kind enough to write for me on this page https://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6445&p=67549#p67549
you might get it working

or if some one knew where to get the "MOULaPlugins917" and the new pythons

wow my brain hurts

E=mc2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:59 pm 

Well, then, I give up!
My brain hurts, too and I'm tired of all this stuff that causes the headaches. I tell myself I'm supposed to be having fun doing this.

It was very good of you to create these animations, for sure. But they are not for me.

I have never seen or heard of any such thing as a different version from the first Max7/8 plasma plugins! This is just one more new surprise in my annals of Uru modding. Why is there another version when the other version isn't broken? This is one of the aspects of the new Uru "open source" philosophy that I simply do not understand. I am really getting sick to death of all these hassles caused by our community "experts". Until now, I have managed to get my Max/Plasma modding setup working in spite of all the hurdles and puzzles and bugs required to overcome. I'm certainly not going to even think about opening this new set of worms.

Thanks for everything, Karkadann. I enjoyed our chats here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:25 pm 

I never claimed to be an expert.
The new plugins were released for the Gateway team, as to why they never released them to the public is any ones guess considering the Gateway team are all working in blender. I thought they would have released them by now I guess not.

in any case if its another can of worms delete it or put it a side save it for later

On a side note, I find I encounter far fewer technical issues with the various age writing programs when I keep my Age Writing pc off line I guess it dont like the internet for some reason

E=mc2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm 

This quote from the GoW wiki page re Plasma Plugins:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Get the 3ds Max Plugin
Main Article: Installing The Max Plugin
For now, only the version that Cyan provided in April 2010 is available. You may download it from Cyan's Cho server." (MOULAPlugins871.zip)

The "Gateway Team"? I know I'd be so much more kewl if I knew what that was.