It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:03 pm 

Ricard wrote:
The "Gateway Team"? I know I'd be so much more kewl if I knew what that was.

LOL no you wouldn't, the gateway team is a bunch of age writers and programmers Cyan selected to build ages or finish unpublished Cyan ages for inclusion in MOULa of the ones selected there are a few hard core fans that stuck around to try and make it a reality. Real life issues have been a big factor in getting this show on the road. people do have priorities and real life must always take priority so its been slow going.

Most are working in blender which means converting the unpublished Cyan ages first which takes extra time and produces its own issues and converting ages made from scratch in blender also havta be converted for MOULa unless their make with the Adams Korman which is still in the early stages of development.

My part was Sevcor since Matt the author of Sevcor was working in blender and I was working in max he was gonna do the mesh and texture and I assume the lighting, I was gonna finish it up by adding the plasma engine to it and after he approved my part we where gonna submit it to Cyan for inclusion in MOULa with some fan ages attached to it preferably, Unfortunately Matt has not been heard from for a while so my part in the team was put on hold until he returned. I tried to pick up another age project in the gateway team but did not feel my skills where good enough. I also tried my hand at creating new av animations for some of the unpublished Cyan ages but know one seems to know how to add a new av animation or has not been able to find the time.

I do managed to get an update on what their working on from time to time even though my methods seem a bit questionable they are very busy and although a regular update may encourage more people to contribute to the Cavcon fund would take time away from their art work so I try not to bug them to offten

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:14 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Technically, at Cyan's end the Plug-in gets rebuilt every time they do an update to the MOULa client (their build engine essentially cranks the handle on the whole shooting match - client, server, tools - since there are code modules that might be interlinked across those, so it makes sure they're all in-sync). So, the "current" plug-in is probably build 918 (to match the version of the MOULa client). Mostly, the originally released plug-in is fine, but somewhere along the way (I don't profess to understand the details) there was a change to the Python bindings and the newer plug-in was released to cope with that change. The plug-in binary may not have been widely released, but I think it can be built from the available OS source code (I've never tried to build the plug-in myself as I've no use for it).

The "Gateway Team" is/was a group of people that were either working on or had expressed a desire to work on a "gateway" (Nexus, portal, library) for fan content to be added to MOULa and were selected and invited by Cyan to request an FCAL to gain access to additional assets to aid in that endeavour. Essentially, it evolved into what is now known as "The Intangibles" group.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:33 am 

Do you think their would be any objection from Cyan If the links for the 917 plugins along with the MOUL-scripts where posted on the public forums?

E=mc2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Ricard wrote:
This is one of the aspects of the new Uru "open source" philosophy that I simply do not understand. I am really getting sick to death of all these hassles caused by our community "experts".

I have a response to all points raised in this entire topic, but I need to get over the annoyance caused by this quote first. Please pardon my sluggishness, I deal with lots of crap in my day job.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Mac_Fife wrote:
...The "Gateway Team" is/was a group of people that were either working on or had expressed a desire to work on a "gateway" (Nexus, portal, library) for fan content to be added to MOULa and were selected and invited by Cyan to request an FCAL to gain access to additional assets to aid in that endeavour. Essentially, it evolved into what is now known as "The Intangibles" group.

To clarify on this and some of Karkadann's and Ricard's comments, although the initial group was recommended by community members and Cyan, then invited by Cyan to kick it off, it is not an exclusive group. Anyone who is so motivated may join the effort by requesting the same FCAL from Cyan to contribute to the "Gateway" project and Fan Content.

It helps, for now, to come prepared and self-informed because technical training of others would be a further distraction for the small group. The only obstacle is familiarity and promotion; it's not an intentional mystery. It is likely more productive to join the "experts" and bring your own cooperative influence and contribution than to, dare I say it, "manufacture" an us and them view of some black monolithic and windowless building of exclusion. It's not like that at all. We can only exclude ourselves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is this the plugin you’re looking for?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:
...The "Gateway Team" is/was a group of people that were either working on or had expressed a desire to work on a "gateway" (Nexus, portal, library) for fan content to be added to MOULa and were selected and invited by Cyan to request an FCAL to gain access to additional assets to aid in that endeavour. Essentially, it evolved into what is now known as "The Intangibles" group.

To clarify on this and some of Karkadann's and Ricard's comments, although the initial group was recommended by community members and Cyan, then invited by Cyan to kick it off, it is not an exclusive group. Anyone who is so motivated may join the effort by requesting the same FCAL from Cyan to contribute to the "Gateway" project and Fan Content.

It helps, for now, to come prepared and self-informed because technical training of others would be a further distraction for the small group. The only obstacle is familiarity and promotion; it's not an intentional mystery. It is likely more productive to join the "experts" and bring your own cooperative influence and contribution than to, dare I say it, "manufacture" an us and them view of some black monolithic and windowless building of exclusion. It's not like that at all. We can only exclude ourselves.

Well the Gateway/Intangible group has been pretty much kept closed with new people being brought in when needed and on recommendation (people who know what they're doing, because as you say we don't have time to be teaching folk).

Building Fan Content for Cyan's server is, however, an open project. Anyone can apply to obtain an FCAL (Fan Created Artistic License) and build content. There of course "rules and regulations" set down by Cyan in regards to the kind of content you can build and what will be expected from the content for it to appear on their server (lore friendly, keeping with the aesthetics of the game etc).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:07 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
Anyone who is so motivated may join the effort by requesting the same FCAL from Cyan to contribute to the "Gateway" project and Fan Content.
Tweek wrote:
Well the Gateway/Intangible group has been pretty much kept closed with new people being brought in when needed and on recommendation
So any one can join and contribute to the gateway project, but the gateway project is pretty much closed? :? umm :?
Saavedro, are you behind this?

korovev wrote:
Is this the plugin you’re looking for?
No I think that's for 3DSMax 12 and I believe that one is from the GoW. I was referring to the updated ones for 3DSMax 7 that has not been released to the public yet, Its Cyan Call

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt said it is an open group, my response is to clarify (hence why I quoted JWPlatt's post) that is not exactly the case given how the group has gone about adding new members and what Cyan themselves have said. Further explaining that building Ages in general for MOUL inclusion is an open project that anyone can do.

Not sure why that is a difficult concept to grasp.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:24 pm 

Tweek wrote:
JWPlatt said it is an open group, my response is to clarify (hence why I quoted JWPlatt's post) that is not exactly the case given how the group has gone about adding new members and what Cyan themselves have said. Further explaining that building Ages in general for MOUL inclusion is an open project that anyone can do.

Not sure why that is a difficult concept to grasp.

Makes sense to me. I shall attempt to boil it down even further.

* The Intangibles are working to get MOULa ready for fan content as well as getting new content set for such inclusion. They are only adding new members when needed (which makes sense as opening it up to a bunch of new volunteers with a ton of different ideas and thoughts would only confuse the process and slow it further).

* As far as creating your own content for eventual inclusion, anyone can do that and it's recommended to get an FCAL from Cyan to hopefully smooth the inclusion process at a later date.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:30 pm 

OK now that we have that clarified.
about new members, their where originally about a dozen, with some invitations sent out that where left unanswered as far as I know. Unfortunately the number of people still actively working on Gateway/intangible related projects has dwindled to about 3 or so, perhaps its time to open up the group to people with both the time skills and the drive necessary to pick up the slack?

I understand D'ni was not build in a day but at the same time it was not built by one person either

E=mc2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Well here is the thing, once upon a time there were a considerable number of people who were capable of building Ages (some of them extremely talented too). Yet in some "mysterious" manner they were driven from the community..thus reducing the amount of people who can work on content.

Those who can code the most part are already part of the project (last I heard there were talks about including a couple of other folks who popped up on the radar so to speak), and I know of at least one builder I'd like to see join the group but currently his free time is in short supply too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:06 pm 

Tweek wrote:
Well here is the thing, once upon a time there were a considerable number of people who were capable of building Ages (some of them extremely talented too). Yet in some "mysterious" manner they were driven from the community..thus reducing the amount of people who can work on content.

How can we avoid this in the future

E=mc2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Simple, read through all the forum posts that caused people leave, then don't do the stuff you just read.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:48 pm 

Excellent idea
If you don't learn from history its very likely to repeat itself.
Or Better yet solve the mystery it might help you understand the future of Uru Live Again

E=mc2