It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:50 pm 

Hello everyone, sorry to revive an old thread. I am not sure whether anyone still reads this forum, but I thought I would give it a shot. I am running Xubuntu 16.04 (Ubuntu with XFCE and slightly different default apps) on a Dell Inspiron 15 7548 laptop.

I have installed Wine and PlayOnLinux, and successfully gotten MOULa to run, sound is working, cursor is working, a bit laggy, but voila, it's playable using several hints, tips, tutorials etc found on the forums and elsewhere. However, I can NOT get the chat to work.

I can type, but I cannot send with enter. Not can I change keybindings. Changed permissions for relevant folders to writable by anyone, no dice. I read some things about toggling capslock solving this issue, but as I don't have a numpad, I don't have a num lock key, nor an option in my bios to auto enable/disable num lock. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them, as MOULa is one of a handful of programs that is keeping me from deleting the malware that is windows from my system forever.

Many thanks!

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:19 pm 

I have Wine without "PlayOnLinux" and it works fine for me try that. Also, would it be too difficult to ask for you to post screenshots somewhere of your Wine configuration?

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:47 pm 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
I have Wine without "PlayOnLinux" and it works fine for me try that. Also, would it be too difficult to ask for you to post screenshots somewhere of your Wine configuration?

Many thanks for your reply! I tried Wine without POL before this setup, and it seems to be similar, al be it a bit less laggy via POL.

Screenshots of each tab of the WINE config in the public space on my dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/650wlb25v1v80 ... 1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wafsf5a6plakj ... 2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/47lc29kbs52up ... 3.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt2472oo8um6r ... 4.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6a8tm1gjyrqxk ... 5.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlsqb95tf56sn ... 6.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpxqmjdy2omxr ... 7.png?dl=0

In terms of the sound sometimes bugging out, I also tried to set to pusleaudio (the only other option) which did not make a difference.

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:34 pm 

I use "Windows 10" for "Windows Version" but in theory, XP should be fine. Is that the newest version your distro offers I am on "2.20(Staging)".Can you get a 2.20ish build(maybe not stageing)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 pm 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
I use "Windows 10" for "Windows Version" but in theory, XP should be fine. Is that the newest version your distro offers I am on "2.20(Staging)".Can you get a 2.20ish build(maybe not stageing)

I just had a go, problem is not solved either using Wine 2.21-staging or the newest version I can get, 3.0-rc6. Changing windows version also does nothing at all.

Please note that enter works fine when writing KI journals/messages, just NOT for chat.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: very rarely, if I just keep mashing enter, a message gets trough, but it is pretty much unusable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:02 am 

Run wine(and the game) in a terminal and put the output here. Make sure you try and use chat. Also, try using the enter by your numpad, I don't think this will make any difference but it's worth a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm 

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

1) I do not have a second enter key, as my laptop does not have a numpad, so unfortunately I cannot try this.

2) I had a go at running in terminal from PlayOnLinux, and this is what I got:

Code:
 [email protected]:~$ playonlinux --run UruExplorer_x64
Looking for python... 2.7.12 - wxversion(s): 3.0-gtk2
selected
[main] Message: PlayOnLinux (4.2.10) is starting
[clean_tmp] Message: Cleaning temp directory
Script started /home/narameh/.PlayOnLinux/shortcuts/UruExplorer_x64
[POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for UruExplorer.exe
[POL_Wine] Message: Running wine-3.0-rc6 UruExplorer.exe (Working directory : /home/narameh/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/UruLive_x64/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Uru Live)
[POL_Wine] Message: Notice: PlayOnLinux deliberately disables winemenubuilder. See http://www.playonlinux.com/fr/page-26-Winemenubuilder.html
[POL_Wine] Message: Wine return: 0
[email protected]:~$ URUPlayer StartProc, running game process at dir:C:\Program Files (x86)\Uru Live\, cmd:C:\Program Files (x86)\Uru Live\UruExplorer.exe  for application:UruExplorer.exe

I tried the chat, first message got trough after hammering the enter key for a while, anything after that did not. I also tried to change keybindings, again, no luck. However, it does not appear to output any errors for that, so that's not particularly helpful.

I then decided to try something else. From PlayOnLinux, you can start a windows command line within WINE. I started that. I cannot use my keyboard in the cmd until I tab out and come back from some reason. If I navigate to the URU directory within the cmd environment and start it there, I have the same issue in URU: no keyboard input recognised until I alt-tab out and come back. However, after that, everything works as it should, I can type and send to chat, I can alter keybindings, etc. I find this very mysterious. I am very glad to have a workaround, but it would be lovely to have a way to do this more quickly, as navigation in cmd vs. shell is a total pain in the tushie.

EDIT: It's magic! After solving this via CMD it now runs fine even if I start my game the usual way. Score! Thanks very much for all your help. I hope this can fix the issues for others, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm 

It is like magic, I don't understand why it works for you. I have seen nothing important in the terminal output. Maybe the URU window was not properly selected?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:45 pm 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
It is like magic, I don't understand why it works for you. I have seen nothing important in the terminal output. Maybe the URU window was not properly selected?

My gut feeling is something goes wrong with the input/output reading to the keyboard at the WINE level where wine thinks it is fine, but it is actually not. If the window was not properlu selected, why did all other keys work fine, and the enter key as well while writing KI mail? I am not sure I can explain that discrepancy.

No idea why starting via cmd would solve that though. The other thing I did while in the cmd-started URU was set keybinding to start chat to enter (something that previously did not work either). Perhaps the change in that setting did the trick somehow? My first idea was that I might have been missing the keybinding file, and that this might have generated it, and that solved the problem somehow. However, I can't find any additional files in my ini directory, where I would expect them to be, so I guess that's not it... In any case, happy to be able to play with full KI functionality :)!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm 

Scratch that. Just booted in the normal way, and issue is back. Unbelievable!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:15 pm 

What is the output of "echo $LANG"? Do you use a normal "QWERTY" keyboard?

I assume at this point that no one else here runs the game under Wine. If you do, any input you have
could be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:18 pm 

Code:
 en_GB.UTF-8

I use a GB/UK localised QWERTY keyboard

Starting the game via the long workaround does reliably fix. I am in now, with no issues. However, it takes me >10 min to get into the game that way ;).

I know one other person who runs under wine, but they has issues getting her old account to work/making a new account, so we're not sure about any problems with her setup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:22 pm 

en_GB.UTF-8, Ok, that's the same as mine.

Maybe try posting about your issue and workaround here: https://forum.winehq.org/viewforum.php?f=8.

In the meantime, could you write a bash/bat script to do the work for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 pm 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
en_GB.UTF-8, Ok, that's the same as mine.

Maybe try posting about your issue and workaround here: https://forum.winehq.org/viewforum.php?f=8.

In the meantime, could you write a bash/bat script to do the work for you?

I will try and find some time to post there in the next few days. I am familiar and comfortable writing bash shell scripts in Linux, but don't have experience writing bash/bat for windows command line to be honest. I will see whether I can figure it out somehow :).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:45 pm 

I mean a bash script to start bat script in Wine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next