It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:38 am 

Thank you for letting us know about the problem.
I think that even if it takes a week to restart the game, this can that be good for the future, with better stability of the database.

I take the opportunity to inform all players of FMT that they should not be afraid of losing data on their progress because it has nothing to do with servers Cyan. All data are stored on my own computer, and also with the backup.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:10 am 

Mister Magic wrote:
Thank you for letting us know about the problem.
I think that even if it takes a week to restart the game, this can that be good for the future, with better stability of the database.
In the past several members made different suggestions, like compacting database and/or throw out accounts which obviously are useless or simply One-Day-Fun-Accounts or whatever.

I don't want to tell ya how you have to do your work and please don't get me wrong Chogon, but isn't it a good opportunity to do some more things if doable and/or necessary? Last months and weeks more and more players report similiar problems, and some issues depressing players. We can't convince newcomers to do a donation due to well-known, highly recurrent issues.
Quote:
I take the opportunity to inform all players of FMT that they should not be afraid of losing data on their progress because it has nothing to do with servers Cyan. All data are stored on my own computer, and also with the backup.
Great! :) We love you, Mister Magic! Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 am 

What highly recurrent issues?
I was online the other day and I haven't seen any problems.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:00 pm 

Nicoleleigh wrote:
What highly recurrent issues?
I was online the other day and I haven't seen any problems.
You're a lucky girl. ;)

... and much more.

Wanna see more highly recurrent issues in the year 2014? No problem, watch Technical Discussion Thread: Countless KI-Problems, Teleportation and Rudenna Gate malfunctions...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 pm 

Been very lucky. Did not know they were having that much trouble.
We must get it fixed so people can play.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
Hi everyone,

Well, sad news. The database machine has crashed. The datacenter is in the process of recovering as much data as they can. We do have backups of the database which we are in the process of retrieving. The last backup would have happen Wednesday morning - not too far back.
The unfortunate thing is the server instance was created more than 5 years ago with deprecated technology, so it will have to be rebuilt.

So, the short answer is MOULa might be out until next week. Sorry.

Thanks,
Chogon

:shock:
This sounds expensive, in terms of CAVCON :roll: - we need donations more than ever!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:55 pm 

Mister Magic wrote:

Thank you Mr.M! Can't wait to continue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:23 pm 

Darn. With all the server problems I new this day would come! Good luck Cyan!

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:38 pm 

of course this happens at the same time i decide to play again after a few years. :cry: oh well i guess i can wait, good luck cyan. if you guys need hardware i have tons, although they might be older than what you already have :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is this also why account registration is down, or are they unrelated?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:41 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Probably. The account registration needs to be able to access the database to check that the account name isn't already in use, etc., and if the database is offline then the account registration would simply report an error, so Chogon will have set registration (and password resets) to "closed" for now.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:26 am 
Creative Kingdoms

mTX17 wrote:
...isn't it a good opportunity to do some more things if doable and/or necessary?

An engineer should tell you that you need to restore something to a known baseline condition first. To add more complicated tasks to a task that is already complicated would certainly extend the issue and costs, and risk the time already spent to operate under unknown and untested conditions. Any new work should be tested under beta conditions before pushing it into production. These days, that would be in some other reality.

The reality is that Cyan probably already doesn't have time for new issues like this that are unrelated to any of their projects that are profitable or under active development (e.g., Obduction). It's very likely a very frustrating situation and an unwelcome distraction. Getting the baseline MOULa back online - twice now in unusual and unplanned circumstances - at all is fairly generous.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:16 am 

Evidently I have been accepted in the Explorers group. As this is my first post, I'd like to thank whoever accepted me.

As a new player of Uru Live Online, it has been a bit frustrating to have this server problem come up just when I was getting started. Mostly I thought it was a problem on my end. The good news is that because of the problems, I found these forums in an attempt to find out what I was doing wrong. I don't expect to be a big poster, but I love the fact that there is a lot of good information here. Thanks to all the folks that take the time and effort to produce these helpful, informative, and/or interesting posts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah! (that means 'hello')

Yeah, it's a pity that we're having issues, since that'll cause many people who might otherwise have played to just give up, which is ultimately one of the biggest problems Uru faces.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 am 

Im another new player, and having recently finished Myst and Riven for the first time i'm very excited to play Uru Live, especially as Uru:Cc doesn't work for me :(
Luckily I have tons of patience and excitement to keep me checking this site every day so that I can join you all in Uru :3

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next