It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I think I’m getting close.
I was not able to retrieve the latest backup but I was able find a back up from July 16, 2014. So, only two months old - it could be a lot worse!

Instead of recreating the database machine as it was - which was really too big for just MOULa, I decided to use the datacenter's DB instance, which means they manage all the files - including the backups! which will happen daily instead of weekly as we had it. After right sizing the DB instance to better fit MOULa, the cost will actually be less than before. (purrrfect).
So, going forward we are saving money AND in a safer spot.

Yesterday, I created the DB instance and resurrected enough of the old machine to transferred the backup to the DB instance. Then today worked through the import errors (“Who changed the name of the tablespace!?! - oh, wait. That was probably me”), it is finally importing as I type (13 GB worth).

So here is what I think will happen today: it will probably take the rest of the morning or more (PDT) to import the backup. Then update the config of MOULa to point to the new DB and have QA run a verification. So, the earliest MOULa could be back online is later this evening but chances are it will be tomorrow morning.
Whew!

Thanks,
Chogon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:14 pm 

You're awesome, Chogon! Thank you for working so hard on this!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow, thanks for this wonderful update, our precious and diligent Chogon, this sounds all really awesome and promising, so, a big Kudos and congratulations are due ... :P

As you, Chogon/Cyan and thus the community, seem to be even better equipped in the future with this great change, I feel reminded of a beautiful saying: 'Sometimes when things seem to be falling apart, they may actually be falling into place' ... Yeah! Way to go! Chogon and all at Cyan ... :D

Post subject: Thank You!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:36 pm 

Thanks for keeping us informed and for being willing to provide some details about what's going on. That transparency is greatly appreciated. :D

John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:45 pm 

/me gives TWO Thumbs up - way to go Chogon - you are definitely the MAN. :mrgreen:

Now - could someone help an old lady who is not a computer geek understand what using a back-up from last July entails - game wise?

I made a new avatar in August (if I remember correctly) - have I lost this avatar and all her progress? I am a long established player so loosing the avi isn't a big deal for me - but what about all of the new folks who joined MOULa after July 16th? What will they have lost?

Again - Chogon - the time and effort you and Cyan have put into a game that doesn't make you any money (apart from fan donations) says a great deal about your corporate ethos. One doesn't find such values in most companies these days - it blows my mind. Thank you.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:51 pm 

I'm curious about this, too. I only started playing again a few weeks ago. I made some progress in a few areas, and I'm curious if I'm still going to have that progress...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I'm not a computer geek, either, but my best guess is that this means there will be no record of anything that happened on MOULa after July 16th - including avatar creation. I don't know if it would include account creation, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:42 pm 

I'll go with Tai's answer too.

I wish the best luck to Chogon for the work still to be done! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

So I guess I'll have to organize a few more door run parties for those that will now again need those as well... :shock:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Look on the bright side and think of it as extending the game play. :)

It's MOULa's version of The Great Scream. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:15 pm 

And vice versa, does it mean that the avatars deleted after July 16th are no longer deleted? Ohmy and I deleted a bunch of them recently! :P

It doesn't matter though, the news are fantastic! There was a lot of speculation about MOULa dying on us, it's such a relief that so little is lost. *Whew* indeed!

Thank you!!!!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great news, Chogon. It will be interesting to see if the newly-minted database has an effect on performance. Faster or slower? Place your bets, ladies and gentlebeings :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:20 pm 

Charura wrote:
So I guess I'll have to organize a few more door run parties for those that will now again need those as well... :shock:

And when we're not doing that, we can rest and meditate in the museum pods. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:21 pm 

Oh Gahreesen, you buggy beast. Who knew my parting words before walking through that door a final time would truly come back to haunt me?

We will tangle again soon. (Yay!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great suggestions and encouragements, Charura and Tai'lahr ... :P

Yes, it really seems that newly created progress since July, 16th might be lost, though there's actually nothing really lost, if you are willing to see it like this ... Moula will be back and maybe even more secure, easier to maintain and less expensive etc. ... 8)

So, I'd refer to Charura's and Tai's options to take into consideration and as such just be creative about the situation and make the best out of it, create the greatest fun ... Most of us have done the journey hundreds of times already ... back in the days e.g. there were even competitions or races quite popular, means, to do the journey alone or in groups against the time and we did it really fast and ever more faster and with lots of fun ... Organize a resurrection party and do it all together or so ... I believe you all get the picture, and besides, you're not alone in this ... So, just relax, enjoy and seize the opportunities and have fun ... :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next