It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 4 pinned hoods in nexus
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:31 am 
Obduction Backer

hello, i see 4 hoods pinned in nexus atm: Greeters, Ants, Messengers and Meeting place
wondering if that was intentional and if yes why are all those hoods pinned :?: ( I do understand though why GOG should be pinned but hope it will be more active in the future to justify the action :) as for now there is hardly anyone there at all :( BUT we do use it for door runs so it's good to stay pinned ..... :wink:
or is that a glitch maybe ? (that's why i posted this here)
i believe everyone would love to see their own hood pinned but ...... ours is actually very active and on a daily basis, helping new and old players etc. so why not ours as well ? i have heard many players asking the same question ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:58 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

It's already been mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27614

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:05 am 
Obduction Backer

actually it isn't. they are discussing multiple entries of those hoods not why they got pinned in the first place. and there is no answer to my question there either. why are all those hoods pinned ? is that a glitch or ... ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 pm 

ZestyOfXeniphers wrote:
actually it isn't. they are discussing multiple entries of those hoods not why they got pinned in the first place. and there is no answer to my question there either. why are all those hoods pinned ? is that a glitch or ... ?

I'm not 'in the know' but I would guess it's because the Greeters, Ants and Messengers are all guilds with a purpose devoted specifically to the entire community of Uru explorers, i.e. the general "public" of the Cavern; willing to offer aid and spread information to any and all explorers, etc... As groups, they are a public resource. No surprise that someone would open up hoods dedicated to these groups and pin those hoods so new explorers looking for aid and information would easily be able to find them.

Other 'guilds' exist, but they don't necessarily offer aid and info on a 'public' basis; they are more for personal or discriminating interests---- I'm sure there might be a guild of vampires or knitters, vegetarian chefs, etc... there's no logic for new and 'novice' explorers needing to find these niche groups on their own, in a hurry. Hence, no need to pin them to the top.

To me, it also seems considerate to offer a specific 'meeting place' hood, for public use.

Last edited by HarveyMidnight on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I wonder then what kind of aid or information the Guild of Ants provides more relevant, general and lore-related than what e.g. the Guild of Instructors, the Guild of Linguists, or the Heritage Night Hood (none of which are apparently pinned) do :mrgreen:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:59 pm 

korovev wrote:
I wonder then what kind of aid or information the Guild of Ants provides more relevant, general and lore-related than what e.g. the Guild of Instructors, the Guild of Linguists, or the Heritage Night Hood (none of which are apparently pinned) do :mrgreen:

I don't know much about them; is the 'chain of ants' some metaphor for completing Ages as a group? Also.. just a guess, but it seems to me that wanting to study a new language or experience 'heritage night' & the history of the Cavern would seem like 'niche' interests-- "relevant, general and lore-related" but not necessarily important to new & novice explorers just coming in the door & maybe a little lost & intimidated.

Again.. I'm not in the know, but I am aware of references to "all guilds meetings" that are held regularly. My guess would be that there's an administrative process for choosing who gets pinned and who doesn't; perhaps those 'excluded' groups haven't gone thru that process yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:28 pm 

Umm...Not sure if a GoMe gopher should comment here...But, pending a Cyan CSR response, let me state this is "off the record" and I've removed my forum signature for this post.

The Greeters hood is pinned because it's a Cyan endorsed and approved group. (Dadguy et al of the Greeters, do still pop down there from time to time, it should be noted as well.) The others are likely a fluke due to Chogan trying to get the settings "just right".

As for the GoMe hood, I have "No Comment" at the present time...

..."Have you tried moving the slider?" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:42 pm 

ZestyOfXeniphers wrote:
actually it isn't.
In fact, the pinning of those hoods is mentioned there, although there is no explanation of why there's a couple of unexpected ones included. I'd exclude a "glitch", as you put it, more likely a human factor in setting up the Nexus.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

HarveyMidnight wrote:
I don't know much about them; is the 'chain of ants' some metaphor for completing Ages as a group? Also.. just a guess, but it seems to me that wanting to study a new language or experience 'heritage night' & the history of the Cavern would seem like 'niche' interests

No, the GoAnts is something far more silly :wink:

In a game called Myst Online: Uru Live, the D’ni language and the history of the Cavern are not really a niche topic, in my opinion. But anyway, could we drop this ‘too intimidating’ argument once in a while? This is not a pvp war game, where you get mowed the instant you log in :mrgreen:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

HarveyMidnight wrote:

I'm not 'in the know' but I would guess it's because the Greeters, Ants and Messengers are all guilds with a purpose devoted specifically to the entire community of Uru explorers, i.e. the general "public" of the Cavern; willing to offer aid and spread information to any and all explorers, etc... As groups, they are a public resource. No surprise that someone would open up hoods dedicated to these groups and pin those hoods so new explorers looking for aid and information would easily be able to find them.

as it is our hood. we help and aid players on a daily basis and offer info too. actually quite devoted to it as you put it :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:59 pm 

I'd suggest that there's a couple of hoods pinned that probably weren't intended to be that way - but that's just my opinion. Either way, there probably shouldn't be more than two or three pinned hoods else it absorbs too much of the first screen of the Nexus (much like when you have too many stickied threads on the forums).

If anyone feels that their hood has some unique merit that makes it deserving of being pinned, then that probably needs to be put to Cyan Support in the first instance. But, again as a personal opinion, being helpful and informative maybe isn't enough, as you can be all that in the GoG hood and new people are perhaps more likely to be attracted there to seek help than in some other named hood (perhaps with the exception of the old "Beginner's Bevin/Hood").

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

As a member of The Meeting Place, I can report from our internal discussion of it that we have no idea why our hood ended up pinned, and we did not request it. We’re as puzzled about it as anyone else. (We don’t mind though, it seems to increase our visitor frequency. ;))

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:32 am 
Obduction Backer

The "Guild of Ants' Hood" should definitely be removed, the name doesn't even make any sense!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:49 pm 

Let's see the whole picture...

Why this hood is pinned?
Why my hood which is populated by people devoted to helping new players isn't pinned?
Why this hood has this illogic name, it doesn't make any sense?
Why...
Why...

I don't know for you ... but are you gonna extend this discussion for 2-3 more pages ??? Christian Walther and some other folks gave you the answer already:

"There's a bug!"

Yes... but why... why... why...

No No you don't seem to get it... I'll repeat:

"There's a bug!"

Cyan is surely aware by now of it, some may have already sent tickets to them or as human beings with eyes and judgment they surely also read some of the threads here and figure it out by themselves :lol:

I won't stop you if you want to discuss of the matter, go on, extend this thread, I just wanted to warn you about the big picture. In life, if let's say, I'm stopping and ask myself: "Why am I breathing right now?". It might be a really great thought question but ... why? I mean I surely have something more important to do, I'm sure...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

yes, annabele. that's all i wanted to know.
now we all know - yes it's a glitch or a bug or a human bug or i mean something like that right ? :lol: thank you all for clear, concise, to the point answers :D :wink:
now, excuse me, there are some ants, actually many of them flooding my precious hood........ heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp, is that a bug too ? of a human glitch ? oh nooooooooo :lol: