It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The GRAND URU VISION
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:02 am 

Hi Explorers,

ITs been a while sense I have posted, does not mean I have left,
It means that things got a bit too complacated ( where to find the official ULM, and any other files I need
too run and log on to the URU shard network, and then how to install them etc. etc. )

But thats not the reason for this post.

I put this in the technical forum because of what I'm going to ask,
and to create some dailog on this very technical ( maybe impossible ) subject.

What would it take to BLEND in ALL the Myst games into ONE Grand Masterpiece!

- Would have to break down all the games to place ages etc. in the right chronological order;

Then where would the game start out with? RealMyst or a URU opening?

- assuming we had permission to do this from ubisoft ( M4-Revelation ) and the now
defunct Presto Studios ( M3-Exile ), and again Cyan's permission for ( M1-M2-M5-End of Ages ).

Technically the games that weren't made by Cyan, run on different game engines so would have to be
ported. I was thinking of 'Each age is different' means that maybe you will have to move and do things
differently like point and click and no avatar for example. ( maybe could add code that would add needed
features etc.)

As for the "multi player" part, which is the biggest issue of this whole thing ) or maybe not,
as maybe certain ages and areas would be only single player etc.

I always have kept this orignal dream which has constantly struggled but never
has quite made it. Why is adventure games the hardest type of game to successfully make
and multi player too? I know you NEED Balance in parts adventure and part rpg ( like WOW )
I think I answered my own question, URU is unbalanced, thus why it is the way it is today.

But this can change now with OS and shard network and Explorer created ages!

URU STILL has alot of protentual and the End can truly NEVER be written!

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject: Re: The GRAND URU VISION
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:

Roughly as much time as it took to make each of them in the first place, added together.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is a grand vision, but I have come as close as possible for me by having a PowerPC G5 Mac that plays Myst Masterpiece, Riven, Myst III: Exile, Myst IV: Revelation, and Myst V: End of Ages, and an Intel-based "Hackintosh" that plays Uru: Complete Chronicles, and Myst Online: Uru Live (... and hopefully Obduction as well).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:42 pm 

Ounce there out of beta you could use SkummVM to play the older games and the newer ones probably run correctly on Win 7. Then you could make a cool luncher to lunch each game, I know this issen't the same thing as having them all in one game but it would be kind of cool.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Please, not this "idea" again...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:02 pm 

From what I understand your gonna need the mesh and texture of all the games and ages, then just add the game engine. :?
you might also have to pay a copyright fee to all the software companies that have copyright on the Myst saga

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:40 am 

I think I'd prefer a new game, set in the Myst universe which is a 'free roaming' game that has multiple Ages. Some of the Ages you visit might be from the past games... but only where it would make sense in the game's story.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Wasn't there talk of an Operation: Copperpot game as the next Myst game?

Right now, Cyan is focussed on Obduction, so everything else is on hold.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 pm 

Shorah

There was a post made an Explorer that suggested that uru be equipped with
a prodigal engine! so one could actually write their own ages "IN GAME" and then
through the maintainer guild could actually link in and check it out! or view it through
'The crystal viewer' hey yea! It could also generate actual items you'd need to collect
or BUY in new D'ni shops ( stripmall area, possibly could generate revenue cash shop? )
The hoods would need to have living quarters made for hood members and with a prodical engine
you could actually decorate your own D'ni Hood room etc. the possibilities are endless.

Did you know that each Hood (Bevin) has its own copy of Aegura (the city)?
Well each Hood which would be made up of a mix of members from the verious guilds
that make the 'Hood Team' ( competition vs. other Hoods ) at their skills in 'The Art' for
Restoring their copy of the city! (like the matrix when neo was speaking with the architect.)
such as all the different versions of the city in each Hood.

I want to finish the Guild Hall area! and finish and open up locked doors and paths,
restore the broken off road pathways around the library and the strip Mall area & Tolkota alley
restored as in the picture shown in the back area in GZ.

Restore and open up "The Other side of Aegura Island!"

Restore all M5 ages to their canon chronological order and placed in the the game the way
Cyan originally envisioned them. incl. the fixed version of Decent. This would be very
interesting on how the beginning of M5 be put into Tpots cleft, hmmm there are 2 clefts!
ah ha!

Finish Myst Island (The living spaces, bed room, kitchen etc. which was under the ground
entered through the hidden library elevator.)

I'm not a coder but I have studied just what goes into a fan made age, built from the ground up!
It really is a night and day difference compared too coding your age, & building it within the game,
cause all you would have to learn is D'ni and the Art special D'ni writing and symbols for writing ages.
we learned some of it in M5! well actually it was more on the Barho's side of the 'Art' than D'ni...
and we learned how to cheat by patch working a age together from Gehn M2.
Then you'll have to find all the materails you need to make a discriptive and linking books,
you will need to seek the help of the guild of book makers. etc.

I know I'm Dreaming 'sigh' but just imagine it...

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:44 pm 

I dunno... I still play, of all things, Skyrim on a regular basis. In that game, even, there are reminders of how Myst was so influential:

*Journals and dropped notes will provide clues to the next step in the story, or the solution to a puzzle.

*The player has to make moral choices, which always have a major impact on story-events.

*The landscapes are beautiful; the ambient background music doesn't intrude and it serves to enhance the beauty of the vista...

Shoot--- there are even linking books, of a sort, in Skyrim's "Dragonborn" DLC-- the player is transported into Hermaeus Mora's realm, by reading the Black Books, which are found on pedestals scattered thru the game.

Like Uru, I can just wander in Skyrim; I go to visit in-game locations I've grown fond of...

Quote:

A lot of work, I suppose.. every part of it would probably have to be remade new.

Sometimes when I play Skyrim, I think it'd be cool to have a huge, sweeping game like that-- but for the Myst universe... an open-world that incorporates linking books & other Ages, locations near the Cleft and in the Cavern, where you could just wander, look at wonders, solve little puzzles, help out NPC's, have adventures, find easter eggs.... and just see & hear lots of beauty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:18 pm 

One of the points holding such an effort back are the legal complications.

While Cyan owns the story idea they licensed it to game studios that built some of the games. Cyan has gotten rights to some of that work but, not all. So, a first step in the project would be obtaining or negotiating rights to use use that content.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

And apart from a sigle comment by Rand Miller over a year ago, something along the lines of "we have been talking" there does not seem to be any news on that front.