It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:13 am 

Shorah,

I have been away for a few months and came back to the cavern
to find out that in most areas of the game my mouse is unresponsive,
my avy will not turn, I can look up and down just fine so I had to revert
to using my keyboard to turn my avy.

Forget about doing any Jumping also, because of LAG?
I press the 'space bar' ( its suppose to make my avy jump ) and nothing happens!
so I miss the jump and fall to my avy death 97% of the time, plus turning with the
keyboard makes it next too impossible to complete some of the puzzles
you have to do in the game. :(
If I mash on the space bar and hold it for a few seconds my avy will jump,
like 3 seconds sometimes after I pressed the jump button ( space bar )
so any timed jumping is also out asp. a running jump, I run right of the cliff
and I'm spam pressing the space bar even before the jump.
should I turn vertical sync off?
-----------
I have tried relogging, sometimes if I can get my avy to jump the mouse connects
again so I can turn my avy but its intermittent.

please advise what , ( if any ) can I do to fix this so I can complete my ages.

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:11 pm 

Please post your PC specs. Here is how to get them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Xb867_Ce0

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:26 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Well, a first question would be to ask if you can think of what you might have changed on the PC since you last played. Networking issues are often linked to lag but rarely as you describe - that sounds a bit more like the processor being heavily loaded. If you can get MOULa running windowed then you can see if Task Manager confirms that. I could also see that bad memory might make things run slow.

I'm assuming that it's only in MOULa that you're seeing these kinds of "user input" sluggishness? Are you able to try a shard and see if that does the same?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:59 pm 

shorah a small update,

My specs are:

CPU - i7 (lowest version)
O/S - Win7 64 pro
MeM - 16 gig on 4 cards
HDD - 1 terabyte
DSL - internet connection
GFX card - Nividia GTX 670
SND - Onboard RealTec sound so no EAX :(
1 CD/DVD/R - Combo drive
with UPS/surge protection

I have windows firewall turned off too btw.

Strange when I totaly shut down the game and restarted it, logged in
and Whola! my mouse seemed to work great ( like it should ).
but after linking a few times it came back again, like the mouse code that
is sent to the game engine like lost part or all of its connection to the game.
best as I can describe it. So I jump (sometimes it don't do a thing
other times it jumps right away ) on a successful jump my mouse works again,
most of the time.

I also wonder about over heating if that could be a cause?
my gfx card runs at 111 to 119 Fahrenheit and can jump up to 126 + Fahreneit.
Are these normal temps?

I will try windowed mode once to see if that makes a difference.
I always use the 'windows key' to minimize the game, works great.
I have 'System Explorer' running in the background but I have 8 cpus in
my i7 but over all readings are fairly low, ummm :D I don't remember the exact
cpu usage I think it was around 16 -20% range... have to post the readings
I get the next time I link down to the cavern.

Mac Fife said: Are you able to try a shard and see if that does the same?
Please fill me in on the OS Moula shard network.
I'm confused on a few things.

1. Is this Online GT-version of URU, The main Live Canon Shard?

2. Is this Online GT-version of URU totaly separate? if yes then,
where can I find the special Tpots launchers and/or patches,
aka; ULM, Drizzle etc.? so I can get on the shard network,
is it like the orignal UURU? kagi key stuff?

I have a friend who is posting Moula on fakebook ack! facebook trying to get
others to come check it out hope it will help the dwindling cavcon meter readings :(

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:38 pm 

There's no reason that spec of PC shouldn't run the game easily.

126°F is 52C, so high but not excessively so, especially if that is measured on the GPU chip itself (chip die can often run at well over double that).

When I refer to MOULa I mean the main Cyan run instance of Uru Live. Shard's include the Guild of Writer's "Ghen" and OpenUru's "Minkata" and others. These are essentially separate installs but use game data files shared from the main game. Check the respective websites for install details if you want to go down that path, but I only asked in order to see if the problem happened specifically with the Cyan client or persisted across all versions.

There used to be a problem with Uru on multicore processors in the past but I haven't heard of it in a long time. Just in case, the trick then was to start the game and then open Task Manager and find uruexplorer.exe in the Processes tab, right click on it, select Set Affinity and change the check boxes so that only one CPU is used.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:17 pm 

VoiZod wrote:

Strange when I totaly shut down the game and restarted it, logged in
and Whola! my mouse seemed to work great ( like it should ).
but after linking a few times it came back again,[...]

reminds me of sth...just to make sure: that linking doesn't include visit to "magic" ages, does it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 am 

this may not be anything at all......
I remember long ago....
If the Num Lock is on it really messes up mouse navigation
just a thought of weird Uru things

Lyneesa KI#107095 aka Lyyne 106746 aka Taadpole 106952

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

As a general "just because" step, while the game is shut down, find your Uru installation folder and look for a file named TOS.txt. Delete it, and then run the game again.

Deleting it forces the game to check all the files and download and reinstall any current updates, and is the only real repair you can do other than uninstalling and putting a fresh copy in. It's been known to fix a myriad of ills.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:44 am 

larryf58 wrote:
That file is an internal record of all updates the game has installed since it was first loaded on your computer.
Eh, not really... It's just a text file that contains the Terms of Service that you are shown and agree to each time you log in. But, it is one of a list of "critical" files that are checked each startup and if any of those critical files are damaged/missing then the patcher re-checks all files - it just happens to be a relatively "safe" file to go deleting to force that re-check. Aside from that detail, the rest of the advice is entirely valid! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Interesting. I haven't played in quite a while (years), and just returned in the last few days to run through some of the ages again, and I ran into the exact same bug, i.e. I couldn't turn with the mouse, and jumping using the space bar wouldn't work most of the time.

I don't think it has anything to do with performance, since besides this problem, the game is very responsive for me, and turning with the arrow keys (when the mouse stops turning) is very responsive. Also, even though I can't turn with the mouse, there is no lag with using the mouse button when starting or stopping movement.

Also, sometimes the problem will fix itself for a while. I haven't spent enough time trying to figure out any patterns. I'm fairly sure it isn't directly related to linking, since I believe the problem has started at times "mid age". The first time I noticed it was when I was running through the wooden water tunnel in Er'cana. I was starting to run up the side of the tunnel and I couldn't correct it with the mouse. It took me a few seconds to realize that turning with the mouse was not working. But I'm fairly sure when I started the age I would have noticed if the mouse wasn't turning properly.

One possibility is that I periodically alt-tab since I am typically playing while doing other things that need checking on. I'll have to pay closer attention to that and see if the problem starts when I return to the game. It's quite possible that I alt-tabbed while in Er'cana. I know in the early days alt-tabbing was definitely not supported, and was known to cause problems at times.

Anyway, I'm glad I happened across this report, since I wasn't even sure if the problem was hardware related or not. I was wondering if my space bar key was starting to get flakey, and I've also had issues with my wireless mouse reception when the receiver is too far away from the mouse, but in all of those cases, moving the receiver closer fixed the problem (I have one of the older Logitech rechargeable mice with the charging stand containing the receiver).

Anyway, I know this is a month old, but if you are still monitoring this VoiZod, I'm curious if you've found any pattern to the problem, and I'm also curious if you ever alt-tab to do something else while playing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Did you check your game settings to make sure that the mouse controls are turned on?

Speaking for myself, I never use mouse movement. The arrow keys are quicker and more precise. I just use my mouse to click on things.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unless there is a menu I am missing, I don't think there is a way to turn off the mouse controls in the game. There are some settings that can be changed, but nothing that I can see that actually turns off the mouse.

Regardless, my problem is intermittent, i.e. the mouse works some of the time and doesn't work other times. I actually use a mix of keyboard and mouse navigation. When I'm just running someplace that doesn't need precision I prefer just using the mouse. If some precise movements are required then I might use the arrow keys.

Note also, that all this discussion about the mouse issue neglects the jump/spacebar issue that happens at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sounds like a hardware issue. Do you have access to another mouse and keyboard you can hook up to your computer for a test? At the very least, it does seem like your wireless mouse is on the edge of failing.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
This isn't meant to be flippant, but seriously, it sounds like both mouse and keyboard might need to be cleaned.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I understand people are trying to be helpful, but have you read the entire string? You do realize that VoiZod had the exact same issue? You also realize that the space bar and the mouse issue start and stop at the same time? Those would be some extremely low probability coincidences if the issue was hardware related.

I have had a long term issue with reception on my mouse, but the symptoms are completely different, and I know how to solve the issue (I just need to move the receiver forward on my desk from where I typically keep it when I'm not using it). Any issues I normally have with my mouse when reception isn't good are easily remedied. Also those problems affect all mouse functions (i.e. buttons and movement), not just movement. That's not the case when this problem occurs with MOUL.

My spacebar has no issues while I'm typing this message for example, nor at any other time than when my mouse stops being able to steer my avatar. I spend my most of my work day typing on my keyboard, so I would be quite aware of any keyboard specific issue.

So, this is almost certainly not a hardware issue. My reason for originally posting was to confirm that the problem VoiZod was seeing was not specific to him, and I was looking for any further observations he might have had since posting.