It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 pm 

It's been a while since I played Uru Live but yesterday I logged in. All except one of my charcters were missing (I looked around on the forum and it sounds like that's something to do with a database crash a while back and can't be helped) so I logged into the one character that was left and ended up in what appears to be a Bahro cave. I can't see myself, I can't see my mouse and I appear to be slowly turning around the room, looking at the walls. I've tried moving despite not being able to see my mouse and nothing happened. At first I thougt it might be some sort of loading screen but it went on for quite some time and I had to go out for a while so I left it up to see if it would ever do anything and when I came back, a few hours later, I was still turning round and round the Bahro cave of doom. I did some looking around online. I couldn't find anyone with the same problem but I did find out about the database crash. I thought perhaps the records for my one remaining character had been damaged so I control-alt-deleted out and came back in and created a new character. After character creation I got dumped into the Bahro cave of doom again. Since then I've uninstalled, checked the disk to make sure nothing remained, deleted any remnants, and reinstalled twice, created a new account, and tried a different computer, with no effect. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Computer:
Windows 7 64bit
Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
(My system's been fairly good with games including Uru in the past. Because of the graphics card it doesn't play the most graphics intensive games and because it's Windows 7 it doesn't play really old games.)
Uru Live Version:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah narnialover and welcome home. What you're experiencing is simply a placeholder for the introductory video which was removed some time ago (long before the database crash). You simply need to hit escape to move forward to the next phase of game play. I'm sorry you went to so much trouble before posting.

More information on the relaunch following the crash, including a note about this can be found in Chogon's post, MOULa is alive again.

Good luck and happy exploring. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:13 pm 

Thank you so much! I never would have thought of doing that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

It’s funny how so many people think about uninstalling, reinstalling, creating a new account, checking the disk, trying a different computer, etc. but not about hitting the one key that skips cutscenes in most games :mrgreen:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:53 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

That's because usually

:P

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's because it doesn't read as a cut scene to new players.

If there were an animation there, even an animated GIF, it would be less of a problem. (Of course, if an animation could be stuck in there, it should just say "HIT ESCAPE TO CONTINUE".)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:53 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Yeah, it was the background that scrolled behind the intro video - many people didn't really notice it was even there when the video was present, so it was hard to make the connection.

I fully expect that the next time there's a chance to update the client that this problem will be removed, one way or another.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.