It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Windows 10?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:42 pm 

:shock:

Ok... I'm planning on waiting to install Windows 10. I want to make sure that all my major apps still work with it before I do.

Anyone know about Uru? Any issues with the possible upgrade?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Windows 10?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

MOULa worked fine on the earlier development builds that I tried. I don't see why it won't. I haven't tried CC on it, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
You might want to read this tread, especially Whil's post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Note: see here the updated version of this post.

While we’re at it, here’s a small recap of the current situation of the other games (partly inspired by recent posts in the japanese section). Links to the respective Cyan forum posts, and to MacOS issues when possible. There are a bunch of helpful patchers here, but they’re all in french :lol:

Myst

Copy QuickTime.qts from the 4.1 CD into the Myst folder. Run in Windows 95/ME compatibility, disable Visual Themes and run as Administrator.

OR (also for MacOS) use ScummVM (the development build), by copying the required files in a folder of your choice.

OR use the GOG or Steam version, which are patched for recent Windows versions.

realMyst

Should install fine (most if not all of the Cyan forum posts are actually related to the ME edition). EDIT: this patcher (direct link) might help with the original CD version.

The MacOS disk likely won’t work with recent versions of the OS, EDIT: but try this patcher (direct link).

In both cases, there are a GOG and a Steam versions that likely work better.

Riven

Copy QuickTime.qts (e.g. from here) into the Riven folder. Run in Windows 98/ME compatibility, disable visual themes, disable desktop composition, disable display scaling on high DPI settings and run as Administrator.

OR (also for MacOS) use ScummVM (the development build), by copying the required files in a folder of your choice.

OR use the GOG or Steam version, which are patched for recent Windows versions.

Exile

Should install fine. Here there’s a list of updaters.

For MacOS, here there’s an updated installer.
OR you can try ResidualVM.

Revelation

Should install fine. Here there’s a list of updaters.

End of Ages

Here (direct link) there’s a patcher.

OR you can try these wrappers.

Uru (offline)

Should install fine, but check these tips from the GoW.

For MacOS, a wrapper is likely your best option.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Last edited by korovev on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:47 pm 

korovev wrote:
While we’re at it, here’s a small recap of the current situation of the other games (partly inspired by recent posts in the japanese section). Links to the respective Cyan forum posts, and to MacOS issues when possible. There are a bunch of helpful patchers here, but they’re all in french :lol:

Ly wrote:
That's not French! I *speak* French!

:P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:05 am 

Nev'yn wrote:
korovev wrote:
<BR abp="329"><BR abp="330">
Ly wrote:
That's not French! I *speak* French!
<BR abp="331"><BR abp="332">:P

I speak French too

The instructions on how to install them are in French. They were published on a French forum.

korovev was right. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps it’s Canadian ‘French’? :P

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Perhaps it’s Canadian ‘French’? :P
Nope, just french French from France… ;)

[url=http://myst-aventure.com][img]http://myst-aventure.com/-grover/image/sig-moul.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://ufo-3d.fr][img]http://ufo-3d.fr/ufo-3d-350x75.png[/img][/url] [url=https://polystudio.shop]PolyStudio[/url] MAhmtee Bevin KI #123057

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:09 pm 

Annabelle wrote:
I speak French too

The instructions on how to install them are in French. They were published on a French forum.

korovev was right. :?

Lol! Sorry everyone...Couldn't help it. :oops:

Ly and I were discussing Latin and the various differences of the Romance languages, long ago. One of them being the divergence between European French and that which is spoken in Canada circa the late 18th century.

(We didn't get into the Louisiana French-creole...We just don't chat that often.)

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:28 am 

Reposting this from another forum. Everyone should avoid W10 like the plague.

> Microsoft owns Pando Networks, famous for the malware/botnet Pando Media Booster.

> Windows Update in Windows 10 utilizes P2P by default, most likely the same P2P technology used by Pando Media Booster.

> Essentially it turns your PC into a zombie host server, wasting your bandwidth serving updates to other computers.

> This also means Windows Update might be utilized later to spread malware through the P2P system via 0days.

> https://archive.is/Tqv7s

> https://archive.is/s3BjC

> https://archive.is/Yy9JB

> You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.

> This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off.

> https://archive.is/3yo92

> You cannot turn off "Real-time Protection", aka Windows Defender. Even if you do it will turn itself on again after a while.

> This means you cannot prevent your PC from sending random files and information to Microsoft for "analysis".

>"Device encryption helps protect the data stored on your device by encrypting it using BitLocker Drive Encryption technology. When device encryption is on, Windows automatically encrypts the drive Windows is installed on and generates a recovery key. The BitLocker recovery key for your device is automatically backed up online in your Microsoft OneDrive account. "

Microsoft takes your encryption key and stores it "for your own good", meaning that all the NSA needs to do is ask them kindly for it, they don't even need to bypass the encryption.

>"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to"

They can download every single file off your computer and charge you with copyright violation. Enjoy going to court and producing reciepts or chatlogs that justify every video, song, and picture on your hard drive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:46 pm 

Well, Twitch, there is no such thing as free lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Twitch wrote:
> You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.

> This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off.

> https://archive.is/3yo92

Nonsense. The first thing Windows 10 asked me after it installed was IF it could send these things to Microsoft. This sounds like a load of FUD designed to scare people.

Quote:
You cannot turn off "Real-time Protection", aka Windows Defender. Even if you do it will turn itself on again after a while.

You want to turn off the build in antivirus? Oookay. :roll: In my experience it's pretty good and only fires on real problems.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 am 

cpt-jericho wrote:
Well, Twitch, there is no such thing as free lunch.

Why are you surprised ? Wake up !

In this dimension every beings are feeding on lower forms of life. The richs on poorers or the stronger on the weakers forms. Some call it "the darwin effect". Microsoft is feeding on us and like all "elites" and are looking for more gold.

Kadish kwew his history very well and us... not so well. (The river full of gold. Gen 2:10)

cpt-jericho: Are you implying that everything that people produce with Microfoft applications do belong to Microsoft ? Is Windows 10 a freebe or are we able to buy a copy ?

If I buy a hammer do the house I am building will belong to me or the hammer's maker ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:15 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
Nonsense. The first thing Windows 10 asked me after it installed was IF it could send these things to Microsoft. This sounds like a load of FUD designed to scare people.

Quote:
You cannot turn off "Real-time Protection", aka Windows Defender. Even if you do it will turn itself on again after a while.

You want to turn off the build in antivirus? Oookay. :roll: In my experience it's pretty good and only fires on real problems.

And even if there wasn't the option to disable providing Microsoft with your info...
...Well some programmer somewhere would make it their personal mission to create a workaround so you could.

Just saying.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/444 ... botnet.jpg
This looks pretty real to me.

AdamJohnso wrote:

It's not a question of it firing on real problems. Two issues:
1)It sends files back to Microsoft for analysis. Any file it wants to, without your permission.
2)Having two antiviruses on one computer never works well, which means everyone with win10 is going to be forced to exclusively use Defender... which means that virus makers now only need to bypass one single virus scanner instead of dozens of different ones.

When has it EVER been a good idea to TAKE AWAY options from the end user?
When have you ever LIKED options being taken away from you?