It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Frame rate question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Slightly off-topic, and I apologize in advance:

I am in constant wonderment at graphics setups optimized for extremely fast frame-per-second rates. I wonder what the point is (a real question, not rhetorical). Assuming you are playing a video (or video game) at say 30 fps, which is the standard frame rate for a digital movie, why is being able to run at 96 fps going to look any better to a mere human?

Post subject: Re: Frame rate question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Monitors generally refresh 60 times per second, so you're showing the same frame twice. Some interesting 3D setups require 120 frames per second (60 per eye). For a more detailed answer, someone smarter will need to chime in ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:48 am 

There's a difference between movies and games when it comes to framerate.
Movies traditionally run at 24 FPS, but they look smooth because there is blur between every frame. Movies can do this because the content of every frame is known at runtime, so when you view a frame you're also viewing data from the next frame.
Games, on the other hand, render one frame at a time. They can't do movie-like motion blur without being able to see the future and detect your inputs (although some games do attempt to do this, it causes a bit of input lag, which is never fun.) Therefore, because every frame is a still and non-blurred image, low framerates are very obvious.

3d setups generally run at double the framerate, because the polarized glasses show one frame to your left eye and the next frame to your right, but every frame still has the same motion blur (in movies) or lack of motion blur (in games.) That's why 3D monitors have very high refresh rates; to do a good looking 3d game, you need 60 frames per second per eye, ideally.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Therefore, because every frame is a still and non-blurred image, low framerates are very obvious.
Yes, I have seen that when using the integrated Intel graphics of my i7-4770K CPU, when running Unigine's "Heaven." At 12.2 fps the "smooth" motion when panning across the dirigible ship is noticeably jumpy. But at 32.1 fps using my nVidia GT 740 graphics card, the same scene looks quite smooth to me.

My point was that I cannot see how increasing the frame rate on the same scene to some more "prestigious" value would be visible to my eyes. Am I wrong about that? Or are there more demanding scenes on other benchmarks that actually require higher frame rates?

And thanks for your replies, folks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:42 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think some games may use the frame rate to pace other calculations, e.g. the physics of moving objects. More frequent calculation loops result in more accurate behaviour of interacting objects, and that will be more noticeable the faster the objects move, but since the scene only gets redrawn at the frame rate you may not want to waste cycles calculating too many intermediate states that will never be drawn. (The dependency I describe may actually be the other way round, but may still explain why being capable of apparently needless frame rates can be worthwhile.)

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:31 am 

wstrohm wrote:
My point was that I cannot see how increasing the frame rate on the same scene to some more "prestigious" value would be visible to my eyes.

Many people can notice visible improvement up to around 60fps. The only reason ever to go higher than you can actually discern is so you have a buffer in case something hangs; if you're running a game at 120fps and something really intense happens, you won't see a framerate drop until it HALVES your framerate. Other than that, shoot for what you can see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks to all for your varied perspectives. Probably my eyes are not as good as they might be... an advantage when it comes to selecting graphics cards, considering price/performance ratio! :wink: