It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:28 am 

And just an FYI, hoping to have another New Explorer Info Session on Saturday July 2nd.
No set time yet, so keep an eye out for an update!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:02 pm 

Hello..
I need some help or info on how to get my old account back up running..

Yesterday I downloaded the Myst Online: Uru Live from Fileplanet.com and ran into some problems - the 2 missing dll but someone from Facebook page helped me on how to fix this problem. I got this issue resolved but ran into another problem. I can't log in to go into the Myst game.

I used to play this game for a few years. I believed that I last played this in late 2013 or early 2014. So I assume that I still have my old account on the server or somewhere. Is there someone that I need to contact to get my old account back up running?

Thank you for any info or help you can give me! :D

Tadypole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

At the very top of this subforum: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=28347

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:39 am 

Hello all !

Im also a returning player, played MOUL some hmm... 3 years ago i think, around there anyway.
And i really want to come back but problem is i totally forgot my account name and im not SURE about which email i used for my old account.

I PM-ed to Tor'i some minutes ago and asked (begged more :P) if he/she can create a new account for me.

But account creation should be online, its a severe hit for the game (ANY game) if new players cant join the game.
New players not being able to join the game its like saying "we closed the doors and soon we turn off the lights also".
I really hope this is not the case for such a unique and beautiful MMO !
This game has what almost all of the games out there dont have - a heart and a soul !
And its absolutely amazing in today's gaming industry - think at it please :|

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:14 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I don't think there are that many genuinely "new" players around - most of the new account requests are more likely to come from existing players wanting further avatars (for lots of different reasons). The problem is that the game is essentially being offered "free" but dealing with spurious accounts costs time (which Cyan have very little of) and money (and the donation fund has never been exactly replete with cash).

Your account name is your email address so if you at least know which addresses you might have used, Cyan should be able to determine which one relates to a genuine account. You might then need to give some additional information to demonstrate that it is your account.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:32 am 

People come and go in MMO's, breaks are made, others game tried out, real life, etc ETC...
No one can seriously expect someone to play 24/7/365 without making any breaks or comebacks, ESPECIALLY during longer periods of time (months and years) and ESPECIALLY in today's MMO gaming market.
Deleting accounts or suspending them just because they havent played in a while its brutal and not very practiced for a MMO, actually its not practiced at all almost.

This is my case also, i played the game some years ago and took a break, and now i want to come back and dedicate myself again to the game and make new friends and explore and solve the world together (my old friends from years ago im 99.99% sure they are not playing anymore).

And why would new accounts cost Cyan money and effort ?
Its just access to the game and the server(s), thats all.
How can donations increase if new players cant even make an account ?
Or how can the game have success in these conditions ?
To disable account creation is the #1 method of suicide for a MMO.

Personally, i would love for someone to actually explain the actual reason(s) and "logic" of closing down account creation, but in a clear way.
Account creation offline is THE biggest puzzle this game ever had and has absolutely no logic unless the game its preparing to get shutdown for good.
In that case it would be somehow logical.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:45 pm 

vice1 wrote:

Which demonstrates how little you understand of how this all works: Every account costs something. The servers are rented and data storage adds costs as does traffic usage. If a spurious account is taking up storage space and burning bandwidth then it costs money. It also costs time to identfy and shut down those accounts.

A couple of years ago now (after you were last here) a server problem meant that all avatar progress was lost (all the accounts remained intact though). Only a very few people who didn't immediately recreate avatars have ever returned later to reclaim those accounts; they were, for all practical purposes, "abandoned" (but continue to incur cost). Quite frankly, it's probably a sign of commitment that Cyan has even retained them as deactivated - it'd be cheaper to just wipe them altogether and say "tough - use it or lose it". In fact, that is not an uncommon feature of free-to-use services of all kinds.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I send a PM to Tor'i and Chogon asking whether they could make an account for a friend of mine whose excited to try it (She wasn't able to PM herself). It would be a shame if she had to wait several days so I hope someone could look at the PM's as soon as possible and make her an account. I included the e-mail address in the PM. It would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:23 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
vice1 wrote:

Which demonstrates how little you understand of how this all works: Every account costs something. The servers are rented and data storage adds costs as does traffic usage.

Just how much space do you think an account takes? A single account probably takes 50kb at the absolute most. Most server hard drive space is rented by the TERABYTE. That's 21 MILLION accounts. Last time I checked (April 2015) there were only 14,000 AVATARS, and there are multiple avatars per account. They don't even have enough KI numbers to fill a hard drive with dead accounts. If they really wanted to save space, they would change the way KI images were stored, because those take up far more space than avatars and logins.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:02 pm 

Hello, I'm a long-time fan of the Myst series and I remember trying the demo for URU long long ago . At any rate just popped in to say Hi and ask if accounts are still being generated for MOULa. I found that Uru was alive and well when searching through a MMO gaming sites list of games. When I saw it I just had to play :D

I've already pm'd an admin for a new account, and I realize it's the weekend. WHen reading though this thread I noticed a couple folk saying that accounts were not being created but that a while back . Any info would be much appreciated .

Thank you in advance,

Fatedson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:07 pm 

The last time I spoke to Chogon was the same day he made this post on the subject: viewtopic.php?p=422806#p422806, and at that time account creation was still on "lockdown" - I've no reason to think anything has changed in the interim, but I guess there's no harm in asking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:42 pm 

How long would it be offline and is there some solution to fix it? :roll:

Code:
A3'9UR4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:02 am 

TGMChrist. wrote:
How long would it be offline and is there some solution to fix it? :roll:

Patience my friend all good things come to those who wait.

Also there are at least 4 public versions of Uru live presently running in addition to Cyans version Using several game engines both new and old you can always visit one of them with your buddies while we wait for Cyan to get the bugs out of this one :P

Or you can try to create your own ages to explore using a choice of Blender with either a Korman or PYPRP plug-in or 3DS Max with Cyans plug-ins while you wait

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:53 am 

No reply so far from Tor'i, maybe because i sent the PM on friday and was 3 days over weekend :|
Maybe he/she will make a new account for me, i really want to play this :cry:

Karkadann wrote:
Or you can try to create your own ages to explore using a choice of Blender with either a Korman or PYPRP plug-in or 3DS Max with Cyans plug-ins while you wait

Btw, a question i forgot to ask: any way to play MOUL in singleplayer mode ? Offline, without connecting to any server ?
Mods, addons, something like that ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:30 am 

vice1 wrote:
Btw, a question i forgot to ask: any way to play MOUL in singleplayer mode ? Offline, without connecting to any server ?

There is URU "Complete Chronicles", which is a singleplayer 'home' version of the same game (with a few changes here & there), available on Steam-- either by itself or bundled in the 'Cyan Complete Pack"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next