It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:31 am 

I am in the process of beefing up my PC for Obduction, so I just installed a Nvidia GTX 1070 video card. Unfortunately, now none of the CD versions of UrU (ages beyond myst, POTS, etc.) will work. The game either just goes dark after the splash screen, or doesn't load up at all. Fortunately, for whatever reason, the online version of the game still works, and although I realize this is maybe the wrong forum to ask questions concerning the CD version of the game, the Ubi boards are just about dead, and I get no reply at all. So I thought I'd ask here on the off chance someone has had luck getting the new generation of video cards to work with such an old game. I'd hate to think that getting my PC ready for Obduction has destroyed its ability to play this classic old game that I know and love... :( Anyway, thanks for whatever help anyone can offer...

I've already tried all the old fallbacks, like running in compatibility mode, re-installing, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:55 am 
Obduction Backer

There is a technical forum for Uru Complete Chronicles over on the Cyan Forum site - see link http://forums.cyan.com/viewforum.php?f=51 You might find someone has posted with a similar problem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:09 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Just as a thought, you could try deleting the saved graphics settings (I think it's graphics.ini in a folder in your user documents, but I'm not at my PC right now and can't check). That might not get reset during a re-install so may still have pre-existing settings in it. Deleting it will force Uru to revert to a minimal graphics mode which might get you going. However, I'd have expected that any modes your old card supported would still be OK with the new one.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:40 am 

Thanks for suggesting deleting graphics.ini. It allowed me to get into the game. Another bug I've found is that using [REF] for the video driver results in a blank screen. [HAL] works unless you turn on anti-aliasing at any level, which results in a video card initializing error. So anyway, I have the game up and playable until NVidia decides to release new drivers that take proper care of older games. Even though the GTX 1070 is still part of the Geforce family, it just goes to show how radically different the new Pascal architecture actually is...maybe they should have called it something different. Anyhoo, thanks for the tip. Obduction, here I come!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:47 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Were you able to set higher resolution, etc., in Uru after getting into the game?

Uru tends to hide/disable settings based on what the driver reports it can do (for both graphics and audio), so it's possible that some setting or feature you were using previously is now incompatible with the new card/driver, stopping it from initializing the mode. By going back to the base setting to "get you going" you ought to have then been able to change the graphics settings in-game to something better (I hope).

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:55 am 
Obduction Backer

There's nothing wrong with the Pascal architecture. The issue is that Uru CC's antialiasing feature and newer versions of Windows don't play nice together--it's been pointed out a few times around here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:54 am 
Obduction Backer

On my new machine I'm able to run all the graphics settings at max, except for leaving the Gamma setting low. This is running a Geforce GTX 1080 card, with a completely new/clean installation. So starting fresh may be the key.

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:43 am 

I am now running the Uru version I got from the GOG website. I am running it with all settings maxed out, but I need to leave Anti-aliasing turned off. It's not a big deal, as long as it works. Interestingly, the version of URU from the original CD's - Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, and the POTS expansion pack will not run beyond the first screen showing the game settings no matter what I do... So I am having mixed success, but I am grateful I have at least the GOG version of URU and the Online MOUL working.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:53 pm 

You can leave the game's AA off and use NVIDIA AA via the NVIDIA control panel. The only problem with engaging AA this way is the text within the game is subject to the AA processing too.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image