It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

The following is a (hopefully easy to follow) quick how-to to get Gehn, The Open Cave and Minkata ready to play, assuming nothing is installed in your computer. Make sure you have enough free space (about 3 GB per shard). These instructions are for Windows; Mac OS X and Linux users will have to take a few more steps.

Uru Live
  1. If you are completely new to Uru Live, download and launch the MO:ULa installer (direct link). It is strongly advised to select a location different from C:\Program Files (x86)\Uru Live (your Home folder, for example).
  2. Once you close the installer, Uru Live will launch; even if you don’t have an account, let it run, so you will have the full game data. Once you see the login window, you’re ready. UruLauncher.exe is the program to launch to start the game.
  3. If you get an error related to msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll, download these files (direct link), unzip them and put msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll in the Uru Live folder, alongside UruLauncher.exe.
  4. If you get an error related to d3dx9_27.dll, you might need to update DirectX.

Gehn
  1. (Optional) Copy and paste the Uru Live folder and rename the copy, e.g. Gehn Shard.
  2. Download the Gehn shard installer (direct link), launch it and, as the destination, choose the Gehn Shard folder you made. Agree to the alert (you do want to modify that folder).
  3. Once you close the installer, the Gehn shard will launch; you’ll need to create an account here, but you can let it run to have the full updates to the game data.
  4. Once you see the login window, you’re ready. For troubleshooting, visit the Gehn forum.

The Open Cave
  1. (Optional) Copy and paste the Uru Live folder and rename the copy, e.g. The Open Cave.
  2. Download the TOC installer (direct link), launch it and, as the destination, choose The Open Cave folder you made. Agree to the alert (you do want to modify that folder).
  3. Once you close the installer, the Open Cave shard will launch; you’ll need to create an account here, but you can let it run to have the full updates to the game data; if you get an error and you have a UruLauncher.exe.tmp file in the TOC folder, try deleting it and relaunch the game.
  4. Once you see the login window, you’re ready. For troubleshooting, visit the TOC forum.

Minkata
  1. Be sure to read Accessing the OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard. (If you’re interested in becoming a tester on the shard, Minkata Shard Testers Guide (in laymen's terms) is recommended reading.)
  2. Copy and paste the Uru Live folder and rename the copy, e.g. Minkata. Delete the content except for the avi, dat and sfx folders.
  3. Visit the OpenUru.org Foundry and create an account. You will get an email to a download page; you will need to place the UruLauncher.exe in the Minkata folder.
  4. Launch UruLauncher.exe to start the game; once you see the login window, you’re ready. For troubleshooting, visit the Minkata forum, or visit the Help Desk.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Edits
  1. Separate lists for each shard. Added instructions for Minkata.
  2. Reworded the Minkata instructions, as per Tai’lahr suggestion. Added OpenUru.org Help Desk link.
  3. Added link to Minkata download page.
  4. Reworded the advice of not installing in the Program Files (x86) folder.
  5. Leave only avi dat sfx in the Minkata folder.
  6. Copying the Uru Live folder for Gehn and TOC is optional.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Last edited by korovev on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Quick install instructions for Gehn Shard only:

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Works for TOC too, but why downloading the same data three times ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thanks for doing this, Korovev!

korovev wrote:
Minkata
  1. Be sure to read the post about expectations and the Testers Guide.

It's really not necessary for them to read both of the forum posts you listed. The directions in the first post are pretty clear for those that just want to play on the shard. The second post really just breaks things down for technofeebs like me who want to be a tester on the shard.

May I suggest something like:
Minkata
  1. Be sure to read the post, Accessing the OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard.
    (If you're interested in becoming a tester on the shard, Minkata Shard Testers Guide (in laymen's terms) is recommended reading.)
  2. Copy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:32 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Minkata support is also available at http://Support.OpenUru.org.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Tai'lahr: edited as suggested, thanks!

@JWPlatt: link added, thanks!
I still have the email with the download page, but I understand that link shouldn’t be posted :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

There is of course a(t least one) shard for which I cannot give instructions here; searching the Guild of Writers forums should help with that ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:11 am 
Creative Kingdoms

korovev wrote:
I still have the email with the download page, but I understand that link shouldn’t be posted :?:
Are you referring to the OU Foundry's Minkata download page?

We have moved to publicly publishing a static download link for the latest build. The Foundry home page now has this and can be republished:
Quote:
Already have an account and just need the download? Go to the Minkata Shard Download page.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Alright, just to be sure :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 am 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Uru Live
  1. don’t install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Uru Live, pick a different location.

Why :?:

/?t - "jukebox"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:09 am 

TCB The Scar wrote:
korovev wrote:
Uru Live

On Windows Vista and newer, the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders are only writable by admins, and for security all programs run without admin rights by default, even if you are an admin. Uru needs to write into its installation folder to update itself, so if you install it under Program Files, it cannot update itself. The easiest and most secure way to avoid this is to install Uru somewhere inside your user folder, because all your programs can write there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

dgelessus wrote:
TCB The Scar wrote:
korovev wrote:
Uru Live

On Windows Vista and newer, the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders are only writable by admins, and for security all programs run without admin rights by default, even if you are an admin. Uru needs to write into its installation folder to update itself, so if you install it under Program Files, it cannot update itself. The easiest and most secure way to avoid this is to install Uru somewhere inside your user folder, because all your programs can write there.
OK, thank you; maybe you should edit your first message to add this explaination, because I think it's to the user to choose where he wants to install the program if there's no really obligation to install it in a specific folder. :wink:
(The user can run the program as admin.)

/?t - "jukebox"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Good idea, done!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:07 am 

TCB The Scar wrote:
dgelessus wrote:

OK, thank you; maybe you should edit your first message to add this explaination, because I think it's to the user to choose where he wants to install the program if there's no really obligation to install it in a specific folder. :wink:
(The user can run the program as admin.)

The reason for installing Uru outside of Program Files is that you can run it without admin rights. This is in part just a practical reason, this way a non-admin user can install and play Uru. But even if you are an admin, it's best to not run Uru as admin, for security reasons. (If I remember correctly, there was a security flaw in old MOUL versions that allowed executing code in someone else's game. This is bad enough on its own, but if the code also runs as admin, it allows an attacker to do almost anything to your computer. Of course, this has been fixed years ago, but something similar could be discovered at any time. Please correct me if I got any facts wrong.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:48 am 
Obduction Backer

dgelessus wrote:
The reason for installing Uru outside of Program Files is that you can run it without admin rights. This is in part just a practical reason, this way a non-admin user can install and play Uru. But even if you are an admin, it's best to not run Uru as admin, for security reasons. (If I remember correctly, there was a security flaw in old MOUL versions that allowed executing code in someone else's game. This is bad enough on its own, but if the code also runs as admin, it allows an attacker to do almost anything to your computer. Of course, this has been fixed years ago, but something similar could be discovered at any time. Please correct me if I got any facts wrong.)

The only way you could make this statement better is with a detailed discussion of the game's code. You're 100% accurate. I would especially like to emphasize the part where you say "something similar could be discovered at any time". Meaning, yes, this game potentially has undiscovered security flaws. Do not run it as an administrator if at all possible.