It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 pm 

I haven't posted on the Forum in a long time. Last was sometime in 2015 about Modding in 3ds Max.

I've been continuing on my merry way since then, doodee-doodee-doodee-doo, modding just for my own hobby pleasure. I was just doing a new Age in 3ds Max 8 this morning and I came accross a strange problem that I've never encountered before. Maybe another Fan Age Builder out there can help.

I had a ground plane (actually a 'Box' object) in my scene. I assigned a "Physics-Terrain" collision component to it so it could be walked on. Some time down the line, I decided to delete that ground and re-build it at a different verticle height. In fact, I decided to make it smaller and I "lowered" it to z='-6Feet'.

Funny thing that happened is, the collision component that I assigned to the deleted box, did not get deleted with the box itself. I now have an area in my scene that has a collision property attached to empty space at the location in empty space where the box used to be. There is nothing there. There is no object, nothing to select, but my avatar is walking in thin air where it should be falling down onto the new collison surface.

Nothing seems to get rid of it. I tried deleting my age files from my Uru game data directory, and re-exporting and Drizzling. I also tried deleting my new collision object from the scene. Nothing gets rid of the darn collison in the middle of nowhere.

Has anybody else encountered this? Did you find a fix? If so, I'd love to hear about. At the moment, the only solution seems to be to re-model the entire Age from scratch. Ouch!

Thanks.

Image r'Ricard KI#1479684
" MUSTARD??!!! Don't let's be silly!! "
Learn URU Modding at www.IndyURU.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:16 pm 

Did you delete the component from the component manager AND "layers", sometimes it gets stuck in layers and does some weird stuff.

Keep in mind the plasma engine seems to have a mind of its own from time to time, the trick is to figure a way around the issue, or try and incorporate the glitch into the age. if you cant figure out how to solve the issue For instance if you take a plane, and attach a terrain component to it depending on what the terrain component is set to, the barrier seems to go's on indefinitely, something im sure the sky divers know something about.

also something thats always good for laughs is, take a sphere with about a 6' radius attach a simple component to it then without editing the parameters or going into "convert to poly" or whatever use "scale" and scale it down about 75% or so export convert and give it a kick, assuming that glitch still works

in addition avatars can be scaled bigger or smaller by using "scale" and subworlds, scaling the sub world dummy larger or smaller, after you attach the subworld component to the dummy but before you attach the subworld dummy to the subworld.

one warning on this one using any thing under modifiers to manipulate the subworld dummy gave me a stack dump error. but so far "scale" seems to work OK

Layover In Uru CC on the other hand is a simple paging error which kinda got me into trouble with the programmers because The lost Stonehenge was turning up everywhere. so Ill keep that one to myself for now

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:58 pm 

Thanks for that, Karkadann.

Checking the Layers Manager turned out to be interesting. At first, it encouraged me. I found several items in it that had nothing to do with the scene I was working in, but were "memories" of elements in other Ages that I was writing ages ago. (haha!).

So, I deleted those, every Component Manager item, and a few meshes that I thought might be interfering, from the Layers Manager and re-attached everything. Still, it didn't work. I still have that phantom collision box in the mid-air. I also tried xforming every object in the scene to a different location. Still, no deal.

I realize now, of course, that I've spent more time trying to solve this problem than I would have spent re-modding my Age from scratch. I'm wondering if CWE itself isn't a flawed program. I cannot imagine that Cyan managed to produce Uru at all if the real Plasma engine was as troublsome to use as this. It's no wonder to me that more people are not contributing Fan Ages. Modding Uru can be a general pain in the buns. Doobs deserves a lot of kudos for his current project.

Image r'Ricard KI#1479684
" MUSTARD??!!! Don't let's be silly!! "
Learn URU Modding at www.IndyURU.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 pm 

grasping at straws here try setting the terrain to exact.
also I think there is a save folder that save's your progress you may wanna try deleting that in addition to the files in the dat folder

the only other thing I can think of, is to strip the game engine off completely so all you have is mesh and texture, save under a new name, close the program, open up a new file, try to merge it into and above a test age with nothing more then a plane or box to stand on, lights, and a link in dummy. and just a terrain set to exact for a plane, hull or box for a box and start point components in a separate folder in layers.

Ive had similar problems with walkable under navigatable, the terrain I was walking on was several feet above what I attached it to I lowered the object I attached it to accordingly and just for fun the I set the friction to zero and the bounce to one and made a cool rubber room in a ice skating ring which later developed into a curling stone age

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared