It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Steve - I would never in a million years suggest that Cyan would be lying to us. Please, answer reasonable posts reasonably. My concern is about the form this would take and Cyan has never definitely stated that we would all be playing together.

That is all I am asking for and, with all due respect, you are not the person to give that assurance. As for asking at a townhall meeting, this is the Urulive official site, and I am officially asking here.

I have been around long enough to know the difference between a legitimate question, and the legitimate avenue in which to pose it, and one that has been answered before.

Really, the rudeness here is becoming unbearable. Strange for a benign little game that has been kept alive by a predominantly kindhearted community.

And I am not a "dude".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:44 pm 

I never meant to be insulting, I was offering my thoughts and suggestions on how to find out, the speculation was based on the way Cyanists have said things, again its all I think.

You've taken offense twice at two relativly benegin posts, the first was an attempt at humour since so many people seem to be asking questions which are in the FAQ the second was trying to answer your questions as you didn't seem to believe the FAQ, its aim as to promote Cyan since I've run amuck of many companies which say one thing and do anouther Cyan have yet to do this to me, with the latter half trying to offer sugegstions on meeting your questions and my own two cents added in for good measure.

Your right I'm not the person to give Cyan's assurance but if you wanted GreyDragons opinion PM him, he's never failed to answer a PM yet hes the only Cyanist to be on this forum as well (I think) easyiest way usually.

Anyways its obvious i'm offending people so i'll leave this thread as I say No Worries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

There's no reason to think that Cyan will set up seperate servers/shards for the purpose that you've indicated, Nyrphame.

During the original Uru Live Prologue, we did have three servers/shards running just before it shut down, but they weren't set up to "house" people from different international areas. (I think all the servers were in the same geographical location anyway.) A person from any part of the world could set up a character on whatever shard he or she wanted. (Or all of them, for that matter...)

I believe we'll most likely see only one shard/server when Uru first goes live again. Everyone will need to be able to access it. Other shards will likely follow as they are needed... if needed. But setting up a server just for US players and another for everyone else is not something that is even practical... or likely.

Remember, Cyan has told us that their relationship is with Turner specifically... not GameTap. (Though, they will be developing products for Gametap.) We've been told that Uru Live will reside outside of the standard GameTap delivery system. But US users will have the benefit of being able to access both.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:58 am 

IMO It might be separate 1 server on the GameTap system and one set up for people
that can't (at this stage) access the GameTap systems.

We already have this setup now in a way
Public shards with Kagi key access to both public and D'mala
D'mala invites that only access D'mala.

So I am thinking and only thinking as nothing has been worked out yet
in a (FULL OFFICIAL statement from Cyan/Turner/Gametap) so don't jump me :lol:
but Gametap subscribers will be able to access both shards ( internal / external )
and international subscribers will only access the one run outside Gametap system.

PS I have never recireved a return PM from GD on specific questions
so don't count on a reply.

My five cents
Either way we will just have to wait for Official statement from Cyan to how this is worked out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Shadowcats wrote:
IMO It might be separate 1 server on the GameTap system and one set up for people
that can't (at this stage) access the GameTap systems.

We already have this setup now in a way
Public shards with Kagi key access to both public and D'mala
D'mala invites that only access D'mala.

The reason Kagi shards aren't available to D'mala invitees is, as far as I can tell, twofold, and likely has little to do with Turner specifically. Turner hosts the D'mala server, and Cyan hosts the D'mala authentication server. Cyan no longer operates the Kagi authentication server, and has very *very* little control (if any, really) over what goes on in the private shards.

Because Cyan can in no way guarantee the up-time of the Kagi shards, or the quality of experience (or userbase) that anyone may encounter there (not saying the Kagi shards are ill-behaved, just that Cyan can't guarantee it), and because they aren't in direct control of the Kagi shards, allowing people to use them would be a bit of a mess from a customer service standpoint. There's codes of conduct and license agreements that go along with using the D'mala shard, and nothing like that really exists for the Kagi shards.

Since Cyan (and more importantly, Turner, which is I think the bigger motivator in preventing D'mala invitees from getting into a place they don't control) would be in direct control of any Uru Live shards that come online after launch, I seriously doubt there will be any sort of segregation on the basis of whether you're getting in through GameTap or where on the planet you happen to reside. As has been noted, during the previous beta test, and during Prologue, folks from all over the world were getting into the exact same server, and the various Live shards were only opened because of overcrowding... and even then, you could choose which shard to create your character on, no matter where you lived. There's already internationalization stuff built into the Uru client, and several of Uru's interfaces (like the Nexus), so it seems pointless that they'd segregate everybody again when so much work has been done to bring us together.

Also, speaking strictly off the cuff here, Cyan knows how important the community aspect of Live is, and presumably - based on the positive attitude Cyan has towards their cooperation with Turner - Turner is willing to go along with Cyan on this point, so separating the community into groups based on location or client access point seems a bit contrary to the community-building efforts. Additionally, and continuing to speak off the cuff, I would gather that Turner is going to allow the Live client to be released for download outside of GameTap... the servers and staff will likely receive funding from GameTap's portion of Turner's massive budget, and the Live client will be accessible through GT in much the same way an other game provided by the service would be... but the Uru client available through GT would probably not differ from the standalone client beyond being dependent on a GT subscription/account for play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:56 am 

I don't think Turner hosts the D'mala server it's Cyan's controll
as Eric L is the admin and GD is always fixing things from posts I have read :?
Sorry if I am wrong :oops:
GD stated about both authenticatin servers on D'ni forums

http://www.cyanworlds.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000800

Quote:
we intend to maintain the auth server so existing users of Until Uru can continue to access their Until Uru shards. However, because we're moving on to Uru Live, we've decided not to issue any new Kagi keys. We encourage any new users who want a taste (albeit an imperfect one) of Uru prior to Uru Live to visit the D'mala shard.

And on that page was asked about the Public auth server that Chip was running
and GD stated.
Quote:
Cyan will be taking over the Auth server for Until Uru from Chip.

Just have to wait and chill for an official post as I said how this is going to play out. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:44 am 

Ah, the joys of eager, intelligent people left for a while to speculate on something about which we have incomplete information. The result is every nuance and connotation comes under the spotlight and the potentially difficult interpretations (however unlikely) get highlighted.

Would I be disappointed if the Gametap subscribers were separated from the rest of the world (i.e. on separate servers) - Yes.
(Of course, that would also mean us international subscribers would have benefits to make up for not getting Gametap in our $10/month - i.e. access to the worldwide URU community. Not the option I want, personally).

But, hey, lets give Cyan and Turner time to work out how they're going to handle the international subscribers, and not start raising fears based on speculative interpretations of the limited information we have at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:48 am 

I Really hate when reviews like this keep getting put out there and keeps
saying Live is only for USA subscribers through GameTap.

Adventure Gamers
Snip
Quote:
Unlike the original Uru Live, however, the new version of the game will be available only to subscribers of the entertainment network. GameTap gives subscribers access to a vast library of games and game-related media clips for $9.95/month. The service launched last fall as a resource that allows users to play hundreds of retro arcade, console, and computer games on their PCs via a broadband connection. Unfortunately, at this time the service is available only to U.S. residents. You can learn more about GameTap in our recent feature article, Adventures in GameTap.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1205

A lot of the confusion is new people outside the USA that read things like this and
don't go looking for the other info that has been posted / analyzed on this subject
even by Cyanists themselves have posted on the subject to allay some fears.

Just have to wait and see there plan for us non GameTap peeps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I hope one of you folks who frequent Adventure Gamers would send them a note to correct the wrong information in their article. The bad information in that article could explain why there have been several people asking whether Live would be available Internationally again recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's been mentioned to them.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

it has? oops I just PMed Jack to tell him >.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

sok, it was a while back :)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:14 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The silence out of Spokane on this issue is deafening. This has been a hugely visible issue, repeatedly coming up all over the web and the news; not just on these fan forums. Because this is a matter of survival for Cyan, and because they have made no public announcement regarding the international issue beyond their FAQ, a few posts, and Town Hall Meetings, can we only assume they are bound by their agreement with Turner/GameTap to not muck up GameTap's marketing of their "exclusive?"

Seriously, it's not enough to let a few fans know in the FAQ, posts, and THMs. There's a much larger stake in this from the international community which only seems to (mis)understand they won't be able to play. Without a loud, worldwide announcement from Cyan about their biggest public issue going, what other assumption can we make?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The silence out of Spokane on this issue is deafening.

Well, this "separate server" issue was just brought up in this thread for the first time yesterday.

That's not enough time for someone at Cyan to even SEE the thread since yesterday was Sunday. Wait a week and then maybe "deafening silence" would be an apt description.

It's never even been suggested by Cyan that there would be segregated servers/shards based on where the players live. We didn't have it for the original Uru Live; we've not had it for Until Uru. It would be more hassle to set up that it would be worth... and I can't think of any reason why it would be "worth" it.

Quote:
...they have made no public announcement regarding the international issue beyond their FAQ, a few posts, and Town Hall Meetings...

That's not public enough for you? :wink: Seriously, I don't think this is worth worrying about.

I think it's great that people can post their questions on this forum. The only problem is that every other day it seems that someone comes up with a question that hasn't been specifically answered and then rampant fear and speculation take over.

I could post a question: "How do we know that Cyan won't disallow DSL customers access to Uru Live with connection rates slower than 512 kbps?"

That's the kind of question we technically already know the answer to... but it's the kind of question that would cause half of the good folks here on the forums to panic.

Cyan has been trying very hard to communicate their intentions and what they know to the fans. I think we should take their word for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

As I understand it, GameTap will be a portal to URU Live for non-US, so we'll have access to that but nothing else. There's no earthly reason for US and non-US to be segregated. It would go completely against Cyan's grain.

GameTap is only an access path.