It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:58 pm 

Updated 4:34 PM: OK, never mind the paragraphs below, because the same thing shows under XP. It's just good news that it will run on Vista.

Notwithstanding all the horror stories posted about app compatibility, Uru will apparently run on Windows Vista. However, you may notice something different about the Graphics tab in UruSetup (at least I never noticed it before - I'll have to check my XP environment).

You now have two options of running Uru on whatever card is listed in the dropdown: using HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer - the old school of handling hardware access in Windows) and using REF (not sure what this is yet). I can unequivocally state that using REF results in Uru being unable to run pretty much at all. It doesn't error out, it just gags, and there's no video. Suffice it to say, use HAL. Apparently, Microsoft backloaded a HAL emulation layer into Vista, because the story I had heard originally was that Vista was supposed to do away with HAL. I guess that's one way of resolving app compatibility problems. Trouble is, it's a little slow due to having to load HAL. Of course, that could just be because I need to upgrade my RAM a bit to 2 gigs, not to mention a beefier video card.

Point is, it runs!!!! Woohooo!

KI #00063063

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

REF is software emulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:09 pm 

Umm... Why wouldn't it run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:06 am 

Because under the hood, Vista has had some massive changes made.

BTW, I just gave it a try on my laptop running Vista, and its actualy running better than it ever did under XP. Strange :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:18 am 

Yeah, but it still uses the same kernel and all. It is still the same OS, not like when Apple changed from PPc to Intel. It's more like the change from 98 to XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:29 am 

Er...98 to XP was almost a total rewrite. I think you mean 2000 to XP, right?

You are correct about the kernal, its almost the same as the one used in 2000 and XP, with tweaks here and there.

As for thngs like networking, what was implemented in XP was totaly ripped out and done over from the ground up. Now that might cause problems for URU when you try to go online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:35 am 

StarLion wrote:
You are correct about the kernal, its almost the same as the one used in 2000 and XP, with tweaks here and there.

And a rewritten Audio and Network stack. As for DirectX, Vista actually had DirectX 10 installed, and a legacy version of DirectX 9.0d for older games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:03 am 

My exp with Vista and UU/Uru/Pots

UU runs better than it does in XP, the link in lag has somehow reduced, I've found UU to be just that little be quicker to run. Same with Uru and POTS.

However, Vista's UAC always asks permission before allowing the Uru Client to run, which is a pain! Further more the game has to be run in compatibility mode, most people wont have noticed this. Because you try to run it, it fails Vista pops up and asks do you want to reinstall or use recommend settings. If you click recommended settings Vista starts running the Uru client in 'Windows Xp Service pack 2' mode. Uru runs perfectly in this configuration. It will from this point on run the files in compatibility mode.

However there is a small bug, this compatibility mode switches off several of the graphical layers in Vista. When you first run the Uru client Vista doesn't turn all of the right layers off, so it tries to load the Uru game window and instead you end up generating a crash report. Once you have done this once Vista seems to be able to run the Uru Client and load the game window without a problem.

Hope thats of help to anyone using Vista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:06 am 

Yes, MS has said that they are reevaluating UAC for the next builds, as most users find it hella annoying now. Plus, it's still in Beta, so I wouldn't make any final Uru judgements until at least RC1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:13 pm 

The point I was trying to make is UU runs in Vista quite nicely however it only runs properly in the compatibility mode. This suggest that a Vista compatable build of the Uru client or gametap might be a good idea, I don't think they would have to do much, but I haven't tried writing an app for vista yet. Its strange some games are happy to run on vista without the need for compatiblity mode.

As for UAC that has to be the best security feature of all time, asking you to confirm every install, app run its a great idea however now people see what happens when you have to much security and maybe they will stop complaining maybe i'm hopefull.

Last edited by Stevecrox on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:18 am 

Well, It's exactly the same except you need to rewrite alot of DirectX calls. Thats only for DX10, though. To compile for Vista you probably need to rewrite the window managing system too. But why bother? You may as well make the game in two different 64 bit variations and a seperate SSE/SSE2 aswell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:45 am 

Oh I think I found the issue, although if someone else is using Vista it would be ncie to confirm it. Switch compatibility mode off and then Run Uru/POTS/UU as adminstrator.

It seems Uru won't run in the client setup it needs full admin access, since Vista is trying to add security the default profile is client, however you can run things as Admin in a protected way as so many XP apps were designed that way. If anyone else running vista could confirm this that would be great I only figured it when IE7 had a flip on me and turned all my compatibility mode settings off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:20 am 

Well, I got mixed results...
CC wont run due to the CDRom problem it has with CDRW's
ABM and To D'ni run well
but I have to do a "deaf POTS" since the Vista sound driver is not quite right.. I can launch POTS just fine with the sound turned off... :shock:
What good is that :lol:
Perhaps I can get the sound issues worked out. Meanwhile, I think I'll wait a while before attempting UU in Vista- I still have XP Home, XP Pro and win98 to run it in :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:43 pm 

Alf Vista will use drivers from XP its worth downloading the latest sound card driver or trying the one with your disc, It worked so far on all but one of my pieces of hardware (a 6 year old camera.) True Vista does look to install its own stuff, but running my normal sound card driver setup program put the needed sound apps and driver into vista for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:03 am 

Stevecrox wrote:
Alf Vista will use drivers from XP its worth downloading the latest sound card driver or trying the one with your disc, It worked so far on all but one of my pieces of hardware (a 6 year old camera.) True Vista does look to install its own stuff, but running my normal sound card driver setup program put the needed sound apps and driver into vista for me.

OK thanx, I may give it one more shot :shock: :oops:

--BANG

Well, so much for that! Seems nothing helps, and since it won't run POTS and apparently Microsoft is phasing out support for gameports in favor of USB devices (not to mention a level of "security" that makes it impossible to get anything done :shock: :cry: ) I think I will watch Windows Vista sink into the sunset while I play POTS in XP Pro... :twisted:

"Things are not what they used to be -- and they never were." Will Rogers