It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:01 pm 

I have asked in other forums but haven't been able to get a solid answer. Will Live be available outside of Gametap for people on dialup? I am enjoying UU on dialup without any problems.
I will be very disappointed if not....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:10 pm 

Moke wrote:
Question: Will dial-up users be able to register for Uru Live?
Moke: We're definitely not going to recommend dial-up, but there's nothing to stop that from working if you have superhuman patience.

So you should be able to play Uru Live on dial-up.

The thing is, that Until Uru has very few updates. Uru Live will have many more updates, some of them quite large for dial-up. You may wish to download these overnight or something, because waiting for them could get boring kinda fast...

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:16 pm 

Quote:
Moke wrote:
Question: Will dial-up users be able to register for Uru Live?
Moke: We're definitely not going to recommend dial-up, but there's nothing to stop that from working if you have superhuman patience.

where did this come from? who's Moke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:30 pm 

I checked GameTAP and they require 384K broadband.

TamTAP FAQ

That doesn't mean you won't be able to access the game through the alternative connection like ppl outside the US, although I'm not sure if that will be allowed in the US. Someone with more knowledge will have to chime in on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Moke is one of the people who works at Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:06 pm 

There is no reason URU wouldn't work on dialup but it may take days do download the initial game rather than hours. Many of the updates would take many hours to download on dialup also. If at all possible I'd strongly recomend at least DSL 384 k internet service. The initial download will be the entire game as we know it with the new engine and complete client software.

Anyone with a high sped connection in the USA should use Rand's link here http://www.gametap.com/uru-offer and sign up for game tap to show them your support of URU if for no other reason. Remember the first month is free and you will have access to hundreds of other games including the Myst series, clasics like dig-dug, pac man and a variety of games to keep any other gamers in your family happy. With Game Tap you can setup accounts for your entire family at no additional cost also. If you have a home network the whole family can play at the same time. My son often is playing his shoot and kill games while I play the myst games on Game Tap. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:38 pm 

i would love to have broadband but it is not an option in my area and satellite is for rich people. hence the persistent questions about dialup. i can download what i need at work and take it home and install for initial. the updates will probly be the killer, but i'll suffer through it if i can actually use the dialup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:21 pm 

I recall a Cyantist saying that the initial downloads would be smaller then some of the people around here had been posting .. but I haven't found that post again .. yet.

Pene .. I am dialup also .. and not opposed to long downloads. I have gone a good 24 hours for a game demo download .. so that doesn't scare me in the least .. lol

I am, though, waiting for some sort of wireless highspeed that is 'supposed' to be coming available where I am .. through a couple of companies.

Thing is, I checked and both are likely going to be satellite. Someone posted on this forum someplace that GameTap does not support satellite broadband .. as they tried to sign up and then had to get their money back. If true .. that's going to suck too !!

I would like to give satellite a try (and no .. I am sure NOT rich) .. and IF I knew that maybe the specs would be different for those of us who would be signing up through the non-US portal I'd be willing to go for it .. AND that it'd work .. by golly I'd have it installed tomorrow.

It's not like Uru is the kind of game where split seconds determine whether you 'frag' or get 'fragged' .. I hear that can be an issue .. so .. here's hoping ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Will you be playing on a laptop and taking your laptop to work to download content?

It wasn't clear, from what I've read, whether you can download content from a machine different from the one where you are playing. That's not how Gametap works right now, is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cier, I've seen the quote recently. It was Mark de Forest (chogon). Very first download will be about 100 Mb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:26 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Cierdwyn wrote:
I recall a Cyantist saying that the initial downloads would be smaller then some of the people around here had been posting .. but I haven't found that post again .. yet.

I'm the one who posted this before in other places, but I'll post it again.

Miles from The Cavern Today, in Podcast 14, interviewed Cyan's Chief Technical Officer Mark DeForest (Chogon).

Mark DeForest said/ wrote:
It'll be purely a download. It'll be all brand new, so the... for the launch, I think it's gonna be around... if you... it'll only download what you explore, so, but if you fully explore everything it'll be... I think it's about 700 meg, but to get started I think it's more like... to get you to the personal age, it'll be about a hundred meg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:18 pm 

Thank you {{{Rusty}}} .. nice to see you btw .. :)

And thank you too, JWPlatt, for reposting that .. I knew I had seen that someplace :)

700 Megs ?? :shock:

.. hmm .. so 3 days-ish ??

I hope no one needs me for anything important during that time :lol:

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

{{{Cier}}} You too. :D

If that 700 Meg is all in one go we'll need the Guild Of Burners again - though it's too big for just one CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:52 pm 

100M... 100M... 100 MEG will be around the starting size. It will load ing more as you go to those locations.
SO to recap. It sounds to me like the starting download for URU Live is 100M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it comes down to whether there's an "Update all ages on launch" flag like Prologue / Until URU. If it's set it's likely to be the full 700 Mb.