It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:50 am 

Sounds great!

Those prepaid visa cards are exactly what I am looking for, but my bank insists that there is no such thing.
Maybe I keep asking the wrong people.

Also the SMS thing should do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:06 am 

Prepaid cards are also a reality here in Greece, so I can't imagine this is not the case in Germany (which by the way I like very much, especially Hamburg and Hannover!)

Relax, I trust there will be a way other than "standard" credit cards. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:17 am 

About the SMS thingy: I heard that in some European countries almost everthing can be paid via mobile phone... In Germany however we're a bit technically backward concerning such daily-life technologies. (Which is IMO a pity!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:32 am 

Dream of Myst wrote:
Sounds great!

Those prepaid visa cards are exactly what I am looking for, but my bank insists that there is no such thing.
Maybe I keep asking the wrong people.

Just did a search on google: The Landesbank Berlin is offering an "Xbox VISA Card prepaid", MasterCard offers "MyPrepaid" and AmEx calls those cards "Travelers Cheque Card".

edit: I have to agree to The.Modifciator, germany is still a "developing country" in this manner. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:08 pm 

Patrick L. wrote:
edit: I have to agree to The.Modifciator, germany is still a "developing country" in this manner. :wink:

Well we are a bit paranoid here in Germany. Also there is no need for a credit card in our daily life. At the supermarkt most people are paying with cash or EC/Maestro card (ATM card). For small amounts of money we carge a money chip on our ATM card to buy tram tickets. Large amounts of money are either paid with the ATM card or directly debited from our giro account. Even amazon and ebay have an option to debit our accounts.

Tiran

PS: It's not wise to trust all new technologie. Do you trust the voting computers in California? :twisted:

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:41 pm 

Tiran wrote:
Patrick L. wrote:

Well we are a bit paranoid here in Germany. Also there is no need for a credit card in our daily life. At the supermarkt most people are paying with cash or EC/Maestro card (ATM card). [...]

Oh, I know how thing are handled in germany, as I live here and don't have a credit card as well. That's all fine if you just buy something in a german (online) shop. But have you ever tried to order sth. internationally? Chances are high that a credit card will be the only valid payment option at least in online payment. So I welcome that progress is made here. But compared to other european countries we are still a little underdevoleped in this concern. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Paying by creditcard or Paypal is not a problem in the Netherlands.
But I have a suggestion for those who do not have a creditcard or another way to pay online.
Become a member from your community or forum in your country and see that you get a person who has a creditcard or Paypal, who can pay GameTap or Cyan for more than one person. You can pay the person who bought the acces with a normal banktransfer.
We have done this many times in our community, for buying Kagi Keys, Mystgames etc.
It works perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:16 pm 

Actually, I had that plan! But then I grew uneasy and was not sure if this is something that you can ask ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:37 pm 

Wow - you wouldn't believe how happy I am to know that somewhere in the world, people have escaped the tyranny of credit cards. Yes, I have one, but in university you kind of need one in order to get your books and whatnot (especially if there is a ridiculously low limit on how much you can spend out of your debit account per day). Here (in Canada) they bop you over the head with stuff trying to get you to sign up with a credit card company. Most people do it for the free stuff, then terminate their account! :P

Anyhou, looks like you've come upon some possible remedies for this, and the last suggestion was one I had thought of as well. I'm wondering if one person would be allowed to pay for several accounts, though. I'm not sure how that whole thing will work, but I do believe it is a viable solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:17 pm 

Hm... maybe its not always that bad living in germany without that much need of credit cards. Particularly with regard to Quaxo9's statement above. Just wanted to point out that there is a possibility to get one if you really need it. And maybe I became a little too enthusiastic on this fact. That's because I really, really want to make it into Live once it is released. :mrgreen:

So please Cyan and Gametap think about alternative payment options for us who do not own a credit card, would ya? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think if GameTap and Cyan allow us to buy more than one subscription to a communitymanager or forumadmin, than I think more ppl can have acces. Special those who do not have a creditcard or online account.
So maybe worth to see if this is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here is a interesting new offer: https://service.lbb.de/portal/whitelabel/index.php?pid=2 and, no, I´m not working for this company :wink: .

Kai-Uwe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

You have a perfect opportunity to discuss this where it will be heard - the Town Hall with Randomos on Thursday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

hi, friends,

don't worry too much. this thread here is good so that gametap knows that there are facts they have to think about and to work it out, but it should really not be our problem. they are not only urulovers. they also want to earn the money and they want it world wide. so if they want to succeed international(ly?) they have to think international and to act international. if they want the whole cake they have to find a solution and they will find a solution. i am very sure about that.
many other big companies like ebay, amazon etc... have conditions of payment available to everybody in the world.

btw randomos is a very nice person. he will understand and know what to do and make those aspects clear to the management of gametap... but i'm sure they know it themselves

please, don't worry anymore, be happy, look forward to uru live, enjoy the uu ...

jana :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm sure Cyan and GameTap have thought about and discussed this. And also, you have the following on your side: They want your money.

They realize that not everyone has a credit/debit card. And frankly, if they don't offer another reasonable form of secure pre-payment, then they don't deserve your business.

But if they don't provide a way directly, there are other options. I found the following reference for preloaded credit cards: http://www.prepaidcardguide.com/

Er, looking at that reference, pre-paid cards of that kind don't look too enticing.

I vote for asking Ron on Thursday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next