It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: GameTap required?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 am 

Hi all. I just noticed that the site's welcome page lists the USA as one of the "international" locations where URU will be available stand-alone. :?
I'm guessing it is just a typo, but it would be cool if it is true: I'm not too happy with their customer service right now. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:38 am 

You'd have to deal with their customer service no matter what; GameTap is the payment/subscription handler internationally, regardless of availability of GameTap's own software.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:31 pm 

That's odd... I've always had a good experience with the GameTap Tech Support team.

But it's not a typo; that's all where it's available. Canada is a GT country too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:52 pm 

I've had a good experience with their techs too, plus GameTap rocks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

There is a typo on the main page... the problem is that the US is listed as one of the countries supporting Uru Live as a standalone client... in addition to being listed as one of the two countries offering Uru through GameTap. It's not supposed to be on the "international" list.

Mentioned it to GreyDragon. He said he'd have a look at it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:03 pm 

I thought in the US you could get it in standalone without Gametap, but it cost the same. If not, there's always the, erm, "immoral" way of launching it without Gametap.

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, yes... Cyan is really leaving it up to us to do the honorable thing. While it is technically possible for North Americans to access Uru Live outside of GameTap (after signing up for GameTap and downloading it through GameTap), Cyan really wants us to log in through the GameTap interface so that GameTap gets accurate numbers about how many people are accessing Uru Live. (Let's keep it number 1!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:04 am 

Someone with the knowledge please clarify something for me. I have an account with GameTap and downloaded URU through their interface. Once it was downloaded I went into the GameTap folder for URU on my computer and made a shortcut to the URULauncher.exe for my desktop. Now I can enter URU without having to open GameTap.

My question is this - since when I click on the URU icon I still have to enter my GameTap username and password - am I not then being counted by GameTap as entering URU? If not, then where or how else would they be making their count?

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:22 am 

Kero wrote:
Someone with the knowledge please clarify something for me. I have an account with GameTap and downloaded URU through their interface. Once it was downloaded I went into the GameTap folder for URU on my computer and made a shortcut to the URULauncher.exe for my desktop. Now I can enter URU without having to open GameTap.

Cyan has asked us *not* to use the short cut.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Kero wrote:
My question is this - since when I click on the URU icon I still have to enter my GameTap username and password - am I not then being counted by GameTap as entering URU? If not, then where or how else would they be making their count?

Gametap records gameplay statistics using the Gametap client, not through the Uru login, therefore if you are not going through the Gametap client, then Gametap isn't tracking if/how long you're playing.

It is in Uru's best interest for players to go through Gametap, we need to keep Uru #1 on the most played list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:49 am 

The Uru servers must track it too, how else do they track the international player usage statistics?

Jarun 00217662

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:09 am 
Obduction Backer

I agree that all player logins must be tracked in the Uru servers somewhere. That doesn't mean that it's easy to pull it out and merge it with Gametap's regular game-tracking.

But this is all speculation. What Cyan has actually *said* is: "...you should be using the GameTap Interface to log into the game This is an important test for us to make sure that server handling is up to par. I realize that this may mean a long download but the load and feedback we can get while doing this is invaluable to us."

See http://urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5707

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:27 pm 

belford wrote:

WARNING! Unless you are using urulive.com (not www.urulive.com) don't follow this link. Instead go to

http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5707

or

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5707

Disregarding this notice may cause cookie trouble, leading to you leaping between sites at unwanted times.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:38 pm 

Yes. Don't jeopardize URU. I lived through the first shut-down. I'd prefer not to do it again. And I am sure I am not alone... :!:

Sil_Oh_Wet's Bevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:49 pm 

belford wrote:
I agree that all player logins must be tracked in the Uru servers somewhere. That doesn't mean that it's easy to pull it out and merge it with Gametap's regular game-tracking.

But this is all speculation. What Cyan has actually *said* is: "...you should be using the GameTap Interface to log into the game This is an important test for us to make sure that server handling is up to par. I realize that this may mean a long download but the load and feedback we can get while doing this is invaluable to us."

See http://urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5707

This isn't about tracking whether people play Uru or not. It's about reassuring GameTap that people wish to play other games on GameTap's service as well. By making a shortcut directly to Uru Live, you are asserting that that's the only game you're interested in, and that's obviously not something GameTap would like.

(Or something.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next