It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Debit Cards
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:13 pm 

Can pleeaaase Debit cards be made available in the near future?

I'm not allowed to get a Credit Card yet :cry:

And no my parents won't let me use theirs. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Um if you have a Debit card from your bank or a "Bank card" that s tied into a checking account then you can use that as if it were a credit card, it'll just automatically deduct money from your account rather than having you pay the balance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can confirm that. Both my Bank of America debit card (Visa logo) and my more local bank card (MasterCard logo) have worked just fine with GameTap subscriptions. Just be sure you've got the money in your checking account to pay for the fee, and you're fine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Bank card, check card, debit card - they are all different.

Debit Card: Requires a pin to withdraw cash.
Check Card: Can be used as a credit card, direct withdrawal from your account.
Bank Card: Usually is a combo Check/Debit Card.

Some people do have just Debit Card's. I run into them from time to time :\

You might want to consider getting a prepaid credit card. They work quite well. If your debit card doesn't have check card capabilities :\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:33 pm 

Actually, there are a lot of younger people who have difficulties at getting credit cards or whatever types of cards there are, for some parts because of country specific restrictions (Holland) and for some because of parent rules.

In my home I handle the issue by paying my son's WoW account with my credit card and then subtract it from his pocket money. That way a lot of gamers could make a friendly deal with their parents.

But there will still be a lot (hopefully) of young people not being able to pay with the existing methods for a URU subscription. To get them into the cavern GameTap should really think about making gift cards like done for WoW. Not only will more subscribers put their money in GT's pockets that way, the gift cards will be great as advertises standing next to other pc games in the stores. This would again mean more subscribers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

astro wrote:
But there will still be a lot (hopefully) of young people not being able to pay with the existing methods for a URU subscription. To get them into the cavern GameTap should really think about making gift cards like done for WoW. Not only will more subscribers put their money in GT's pockets that way, the gift cards will be great as advertises standing next to other pc games in the stores. This would again mean more subscribers.

Gametap gift cards.. what an idea..

hmm..

That sounds like a REALLY great idea!

Also to reiterate what was said earlier.. any card with a Visa/Mastercard logo on it can be used as a credit card, even if its a debit card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:02 pm 

macnbc wrote:
astro wrote:

Gametap gift cards.. what an idea..

hmm..

That sounds like a REALLY great idea!

Also to reiterate what was said earlier.. any card with a Visa/Mastercard logo on it can be used as a credit card, even if its a debit card.

Sorry, I cannot open the link since my country is not a GT country. But I can see in the link name that GT already has some kind of gift card, the question is just if it works internationally and how to get them. I think that a lot of players want to get the card of the shelves in the stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

GameTap does have physical gift cards in stores. No they won't work internationally since Gametap doesn't work internationally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Now they just need to give one of the cards an Uru design...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I don't think that's universal. I've had a visa debit card in the UK for 15 years, maybe longer, and that's all it is. I have a separate Mastercard credit card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 pm 

chad, how about withdrawing the amount from your account; giving the money to mom/dad and asking them to put the gametap fees on their credit card?

i'm sure, if you pay them in advance, they won't mind putting the item on the card!!

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that's universal. I've had a visa debit card in the UK for 15 years, maybe longer, and that's all it is. I have a separate Mastercard credit card.

In the UK the Visa/Mastercard logo represents the 'carrier' that handles the electronic transfer from the purchaser to the seller. There is effectively no difference between a credit card and a debit card. Both allow money to be taken electronically from an account on presentation of the card. For accounts nominated as 'credit' cards the issuer (bank etc) is effectively offering you an overdraft facility with a maximum overdraft limit and you usually operate the account within that overdraft facility ie not usually in credit.

For a debit account the issuer doesn't usually let you operate the account with an overdraft (some issuers will though) and you operate the account in credit. Because you operate the account in credit the band doesn't charge you interest because you haven't borrowed any money (unlike the debit card).

By convention or historically one had a current account and opened a brand new account to operate a credit card. Only relatively (few years) recently have the issuers linked cards to already existing accounts as an extention to the cash card they had previously for ATM access.

Hence people still think of the cards as different animals.

What all of that means is that if your card, credit or debit has the relevant logo on it you can usually use it at any retailer that accepts that logo. The maximum you can pay is determined at the point of sale by your issuer and then the terms under which you pay the issuer is between you and them.

In rare circumstances the retailer may have an agreement with the network or issuers to only accept one or other card type. An example of this is where you can pay a credit card bill with a debit card but not a credit card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:07 am 

I'm gonna agree with the prepaid credit card idea. You can get them everywhere... supermarkets, drugstores, etc. They're like using a prepaid phonecard or giftcard. If you're unsure, I suggest you only prepay them with enough to cover a month or 2 of gametap service and then refill as you go, this way you'll feel secure about how it works, and then even if someone gets a hold of it, you're not out much money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 am 

The obvious solution is Paypal. Anybody in any country can get a Paypal account as long as you have a bank account. With Paypal you can pay with anything you want. ALL kinds of cards are accepted, from all countries. The local Paypal branches in each country handle the specific cards and bank systems for that country, which allows you to make payments in any currency globally.

The merchant, in this case Gametap, doesn't have to worry about cards or banks or what country payments are coming from. Paypal takes care of all of that and simply converts the currency into dollars for the payment, dealing with the local currencies and banks in each country themselves.

This is obviously the EASIEST and most CONVENIENT method for us, being a global community with a varying age range. But it's also easier for Gametap, because it eliminates virtually ALL administration on their part.

However, I don't know what kind of fee Paypal charges merchants. If Gametap decides not to go with Paypal, it will probably be because the fee is too high. It will unfortunately probably also mean that I can't play. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Hence people still think of the cards as different animals.
For Lloyds TSB they are totally different animals. My debit card is a combination of (almost) instantly from bank withdrawal, cheque guarantee card and cashpoint card. My Mastercard is a credit card.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]