It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Macnbc, this was posted on Feb 14th, one day before launch.
All information given before happend to become invalid to some extent, including the e-mail notification that was promised for Feb 12th.

Come on, you can't be serious about stating that this is the best they could do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

It wasn't promised for the 12th. It was promised for the week commencing the 12th.

GreyDragon wrote:
while international residents will receive their instructions the week of the Feb. 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

macnbc wrote:
http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=111161#111161

Quote:
The beta codes will be active until the 15th and that international beta transition instructions will be provided at that time. The slight delay is due to the fact that GameTap is extending the 99 cent (USD) introductory month offer to international players as well as domestic player.

Thank you for your patience,

The Myst Online Team

I don't know how they can make it any clearer. You will get instructions tomorrow.

This is not sour grapes or anything demeaning but I think the day prior to launch is pretty much 11th hour. After we get notification then we may have some tricky stuff (for me) to negotiate :)

TMP is the place to be, come visit The Meeting Place Hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The beta codes will be active until the 15th and that international beta transition instructions will be provided at that time. The slight delay is due to the fact that GameTap is extending the 99 cent (USD) introductory month offer to international players as well as domestic player.

Thank you for your patience,

The Myst Online Team

I sympathize with those complaining that notifications are unpleasantly close to the transition date, but I've emphasized a key line in the above text that some of you may be overlooking.

I understand if some people would rather have had more solid plans and simply paid full price the full month; but at least GameTap has provided a reason for the delay in information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Since I wasn't sure whether the special year-sub price would still be available after the 99cent month.. I just went ahead and did the full 1-year sub. No I'm not rich and inclined to throw money around, and yes it would have been nice to save a little more money, but I wasn't clear about how things worked... I am happy .. I've subscribed .. and will enjoy it very much! ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:05 pm 

chucker wrote:
Oh please, this is still being argued over?

Yes it is, and will be for quite a while longer as long as the situation doesn't change.
chucker wrote:
30%… 19% of which are tax, and therefore outside GameTap's control. Several more percents are EU customs, which are equally outside GameTap's control. This leaves us with mere cents by which the actual price differs, and arguing over those is nothing short of ridiculous.

The US and Canada also have sales taxes, albeit they are lower (correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember they were 15% when I was in Toronto, and you always had to add them to the listed price yourself - EXTREMELY annoying, but that's a different subject altogether) so it can't just be that 19%. The price of GameTap in Canada is the same as in the US, and while I'm not too sure about US/Canada bilateral customs agreements - if other games can be offered for the same price worldwide, why can't Uru? And if you take into account that GameTap also offers subscriptions that cost less than $9.95 per month, things get even worse. Arguing over that is not ridiculous at all, especially considering we're paying all this for just one game (which is free for GameTap subscribers, i.e. GameTap has not become more expensive because of Uru).

I remember a few discussions about a mere box in which North Americans argued they were being disadvantaged. This is far more substantial than that. Yes, I'm happy I'll get to play Uru again. Yes, I'll pay $12.95 for it. No, I do not (nor will I ever) consider it a fair price. No, I will not stop complaining until this situation has been resolved in a fair way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have to agree with Darkstar. This situation was well known for many months of talks before Turner even agreed to help Cyan create a bigger and better client. Turner is a big enough and known world-wide company to have multiple experience with other countries.

Turner knew well in advance that there are many, many Europeans who have supported wanting URU back live. More than half the Cyan fans I know are in Europe and I know a lot of players.

I was afraid of delays in getting some Europeans into live when they took UU away. Now I have to worry for the ones it did not look like there would be a problem. I will cross my fingers that most of you only have the one day delay and am so sorry that even that has to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree, the anxiety factor is phenomenal in circumstances like this..!

Most of my Uru companions are not in the U.S., and I am disappointed that they will not be included in the 'launch' I don't now anything about getting in as guests - hope it's feasible.

... and I know they will have to wait on tenterhooks to know whether everything will go smoothly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

What isn't fair is that GameTap has to spend additional cash to buy the licenses for games in every country they expand into, in addition to the licenses they've already bought to bring those games to the US and Canada audiences.

I'm optimistic that after a time, GameTap might equalize their prices. Here's why.

In the US, GameTap was originally $15/mo. They lowered it to $10/mo. only in the past year or so. In my copy of MYST V, there was a coupon for a promotion to get GameTap cheaper than their "standard" cost of $15/mo.

So I am hoping that once GameTap gets established in each country and begins to generate revenue, they can lower the prices as they did in the US.

And if they don't, I'd agree that you have every right to be mad about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:56 pm 

Marten, you are right if the internationals were offered the complete service of gametap. If the planning of gametap will go as planned the service will come available end 2007 beginning 2008.
So the price is not for the copyrights of all other games. They could have chosen a better way to give access to MO:UL for the internationals till they could offer the complete gametapservice, but unfortunately they didn't and were looking for a subscription rate which ruled several countries out.
It is just a pity.
Still I'm happy we are part of the international few, but i feel unhappy for those who can't join us, due to some earlier made decissions. :cry:
For now I will subscribe together with my wife at a rate of $25.90 per month, due to the lack of subaccounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Geert, have you PMed Randomos to ask directly if two paying accounts are necessary?

Earlier, I said:
Marten wrote:
It hardly seems fair to sling mud this early, when you could probably PM one of the community managers to inquire about obtaining a second account if you are outside of the US and Canada.

And you responded:
Geert wrote:
And if you allready got an answer on that?

And that response is unintelligible to me. I have no idea what you mean. I wasn't PMing Randomos, I was suggesting that YOU should. Why are you asking if I did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 am 
Cyan Employee

Hmm I posted to this yesterday in the announcement's section.

Tomorrow, the beta codes will shut off. It will make anyone who is in one of the 14 countries into a visitor. At that time an email will go out to international explorers saying how to convert there account to a paying account and become a full born Explorer.

It is sad that we can’t have every country in the world in Myst Online at this time.

Just saying Turner has experience in other countries doesn't mean they should have instant access in other countries. Legal has worked through the hoops and found a way to get 14 countries into Myst Online. At one time it was slated to only be US.

However, we continue to work hard to get more people into Myst Online. The Mac beta has already started and the Mac beta testers are working feverously to get the game ready to “launch” on the Mac.

The truth is Cyan wants anyone who wants to get into Myst Online to be able to get in. Turner wants this too. Larger numbers help everyone. We just need to be patient in order for legal to do its thing.

Ryan

Last edited by greydragon on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes I know that GD, and I am sure that everyone else knows that Cyan and Turner want everyone in as soon as possible. I was only trying to be sympathetic to the worries of people I care about because they are the ones that are concerned.

I am already in so it does not effect me at all one way or the other. But it sure does effect many of my friends, some whom have no idea if they can ever get in because of the "legalities." what ever that means.

I am leaving any guessing on that up to the experts who know what it means. I doubt I will hear from any "legalities" expert working on the problem in this forum so it will have to wait until the professional legalities people are done doing their thing and gotten the other countries left behind into the game.

I won't be surprised to read opinons of others on the legalities of the situation though.

I fully understand the fears of many of the Europeans and do not blame them for expressing them. I have never found it to be a bad thing to be understanding and sympathetic to someone elses problems unless it is illegal behavior or activities they participated in.

If this all goes smoothly and they can get in without extended problems, that will be wonderful. Then they can feel a bit silly for being such worry warts. And I will be appreciated by them for caring about their problem. Seems like a win win situation to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:31 am 

Sorry Marten if I was not clear in answering. I meant that I did contact a CM and the answer was plain and simple. No subaccounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 am 
Obduction Backer

:( OK, I agree with you. That is very unpleasant. I don't understand why they would do that.

It can't be that difficult to tie a few accounts to one bill, instead of just one account, for families.

I'm sorry Geert. :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next