It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:53 pm 

Islander wrote:
Quin wrote:
Anyway, it's time to pin point my question to Cyan/Gametap: Is there a deadline for the transition to rescue our beta accounts to a paid subscription with Gametap?

Clearly I am not Cyan or Gametap, so I could be completely and utterly wrong, but my gut reaction is that your progress will be lost fairly soon after the 15th - within a week, perhaps?

Gut reaction. I haven't read that anywhere...

Beta codes expire on the 14th

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

That last part seems to imply to me that for international players, their access will be cut of until they can get signed into via a new mechanism for international accounts. However, it also seems to imply that any progress those international players have made in with beta accounts will be preserved, just frozen until the account is activated, and not lost. Am I wrong in the way I read that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:25 pm 

RW. wrote:
That last part seems to imply to me that for international players, their access will be cut of until they can get signed into via a new mechanism for international accounts. However, it also seems to imply that any progress those international players have made in with beta accounts will be preserved, just frozen until the account is activated, and not lost. Am I wrong in the way I read that?

No, that sounds about right to me.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:47 pm 
Cyan Employee

I just heard from GameTap that the international emails will go out after the accounts have expired (which means they change to visitor accounts).

When the email goes out then you will be able to login to your account via a web page and start paying for your Myst Online:Uru Live account. All your progress and your avatar will return when you start paying for your account.

Last edited by greydragon on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:42 pm 

Greydragon

Quote:
People who are paying for GameTap and never made a beta account separate from GameTap didn't get an email.

International users should be able to convert the accounts soon.

if this is correct why have they published that the internationals would receave there e-mails on the 12th . then go back on there word

this quoted by Trent
Quote:
4) International transition instructions have not been sent out yet. Because of differences in the billing systems, international accounts can not transition until after the beta codes expire. Once the codes expire on the 14th, international account transition instructions will be sent out. Rest assured, you will be able to transition your account after the 15th if need be, but you will not be able to access your current avatars until your account has been transitioned.

this is like when beta started they stated that all those who wanted to play could play yet still there are people out there unable to get connected.

yet again we see the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing and because of this the promise of everybody will be able to play on launch is not being kept by both GameTap and Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:49 pm 

sarabonny wrote:
Rusty_Russell wrote:
That's a question for GameTap (Trent or Randomos), rather than GreyDragon.

Do you have a debit card?

I do - its a Maestro.

Not sure if I can use that :?

Nope, you can't.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

kelm wrote:
if this is correct why have they published that the internationals would receave there e-mails on the 12th . then go back on there word

They NEVER said the e-mails would go out on the 12th, they said that:

Greydragon wrote:
international residents* will receive their instructions the week of the Feb. 12.

The WEEK of February 12th simply means any time during the week that the 12th begins on. That means any time between the 12th and the 16th. They now say they will send them on the 14th. This is within the timeframe they said before, so in no way did they go back on their word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
the promise of everybody will be able to play on launch is not being kept by both GameTap and Cyan.
That promise was very deliberately never made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:34 pm 

I feared this would happen. I am not home on the 15th to be able to sign up in that day. Does this mean I'm going to loose my progress?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:37 pm 

Whilst I accept all the points made above to be honest the whole international transition thing has turned into a bit of a pigs ear. Ther are no practicle reasons i can think off why this couldn't have been done a week ago. Nor is there any reason why GT could'nt have given the internationals a weeks grace so we could participate on launch day. To me at least it appears to be a bit amateurish. Hopefully tommorrow will go well and i will be able to make the transition without problems. But i for one will be exceedingly angry if after waiting for the last three years to be able to become a paying customer i am unable to be there for launch because of incompetence.

Good news people

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... highlight=

Beta accounts extended to the 15th 99cent offer extended to internationals

I was going to delete this post in light of this announcement but on reflection i'm afraid these 11th hour changes in plan serve to prove my point. So I'm afraid its pats on back for intent but several minus points for execution.

Just want to point out none of the above comments are directed at Cyan, this is a 100 per cent Gametap snafu. I'm sure Cyan have been doing all they can to make this go smoothly. In fact the 11th hour extentsion my indeed be partially due to there good offices. I sense the dead hand of the back office bureaucratcy and bean counters in this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:02 am 
Obduction Backer

darkstar wrote:
Just want to point out none of the above comments are directed at Cyan, this is a 100 per cent Gametap snafu. I'm sure Cyan have been doing all they can to make this go smoothly. In fact the 11th hour extentsion my indeed be partially due to there good offices. I sense the dead hand of the back office bureaucratcy and bean counters in this.

Tell you what, you attempt an international launch of a multi-million dollar project with no prior experience and let us know how you do with it. :roll:

I trust that Gametap is doing the absolute best they can with minimal experience in this field. They have bent over backwards as a company to make this launch happen, and I think it's amazing that they're doing an international launch AT ALL this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:15 am 

Since Gametap is part of Turner I very much doubt there is a shortage of international expertise which no doubt could have been called on.

I might also point out that GT have managed to rollout in Canada, so they have some experiance.

What we are talking about is a way to take international payments, you can buy off the shelf packages to do just that. The only other issue is setting up a URU only portal with a link to GT's authorisation server. These are not something which has'nt been done before, in fact they had to do something similiar for the Canadian launch as only a subset of the available games are licensed for Canada.

But regardless of that my point is the planning. As this is a new thing for Gametap I would have expected them to have started the transioning earlier so there would be some leeway in case of problems. As it stood before GD's announcement there was a high probability of there being a lot of would be paying customers unable to participate on a day they have been working for for the last three years.

It doesn't take that much experiance to follow good project experiance, build slippage into your plan and start key processes as early as possible.

I would also like to point out the total lack of communication from GT on this. I would have appreciated an email from GT outlining the transition plan and the expected timetable. Whilst Greydragon has been doing a good job keeping us up to speed on this, Its second hand I would really have liked some official communication from GT on this. I know Trent posted but the International part was tacked onto the end of an annoucement about domestic subscriptions so could be overlooked.

This isn't an attack on Gametap just a critique of the international transitioning process.

I congratuate Gametap for resurrecting Uru and have my full support. My frustration stems from the fact I WANT TO BECOME A PAYING CUSTOMER so i can support them in this endeavour.

Last edited by darkstar on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:00 am 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Whitts, this should remove any doubt.

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=110615#110615

Section 4) applies.

Thanks yet again Rusty_Russell :D
GD also just clarified this in another post in the announcements section as well. So i'm happy to be proved wrong :wink:

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:40 am 

PRECISELY what Darkstar said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Leonor wrote:
I feared this would happen. I am not home on the 15th to be able to sign up in that day. Does this mean I'm going to loose my progress?
No, Leonor, since that's held on Cyan's server(s). You will be downgraded from explorer to visitor until your subscription has commenced, then you will be able to continue from where you left off. Think of it as hibernation, if you like.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next