It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gametap issues
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:30 am 

I hope Gametap is paying attention to the "GameTap, Failed Downloads, Routers and You" thread and other comments here.

Might be a good idea for us non-beta testers to post our Gametap experiences in a permanent, sticky thread.

My Gametap experience has not been good. If my free month ran out tomorrow, I'd not renew. My problems are not related to activating Gametap, but in the gameplay experience itself, which is crucial to Uru Live.

Anyway, Shorah.

CE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:48 am 

If you mean you are playing a game and it crashes or the game won't run on your system, then that's possiblely more to do with the game itself and not GameTAP. Remember they don't write the games they just host a server that allows you access to the games.
If you mean you have problems getting to the games then that's another story.
Although I don't know exactly how the gametap engine works that's how it seems to me.
Maybe Cyan could be nice enough to add a GameTAP Topic in the index so we have a common place to go. Then move these GameTAP things to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah lucky Gametap. They now have another community to check and comment on their work. I hope they bargained well for it. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:44 pm 

Somehow I suspect that the "Gametap" issues you are enduring are based on your system, and not on any gametap client or server. I have installed the program without a hitch on many of my friends' computers. And It will not be integral to Uru Live, as it will most likely run seperate from the gametap client. So Gametap would be like an added bonus. If you decide not to use gametap, hey, your loss, not mine. I think people just like to point the fingers elsewhere than their own system. Just my thoughts.

As for games, what issues are you having? I can run about 95% without problems....

"Live together, die alone." - Jack Sheppard, LOST
KI# 00265224
Humble member of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni

http://vormaen.deviantart.com/
For scraps by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:29 pm 

Vormean, it's a matter of eliminating all the possible elements. Plus, I"m posting here because I've run out of options.

My system runs fine with everything else BUT Gametap. When games vanish, I do not think that is my system...but it would be nice to get an answer, a constructive one. And, hey, if I can make my system better, that would be wonderful, but I don't go around all day thinking everything is my fault, lol. If I buy and car and it breaks down and two of the wheels suddnly vanish, I don't first go to a doctor to check myself out for failure.

Well, this is most likely a discussion somewhere else, so sorry. I'll go write to Gametap CS and give them another call. If I do find out anything definitive, I'll post it. I am only interested in Live anyway, so let's hope that's the one game that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Vormaen and all,

It may be true that it is often a matter of conflicts between the game and the user's hardware, but this is not exclusively the case.

I have noticed that Gametap dowloads to your computer are not the same as they are as with the original CD game. If they were, then users could log in for a week, download 100 games then cancel their subscription and play their games without paying. If you look, Gametap downloads in a structure that hides the game content with obscure filenames.

That being said, I am a knowledgable and experienced computer techie. I recently downloaded Myst III Exile from Gametap (50 minutes... not bad) but when I tried to run it I got an error saying that "Your hardware is not able to run Exile in the resolution it requires", which I know is not true. So, I checked my DirectX settings and checked my 3D settings then checked the Gametap knowledge database, then checked my video drivers and updated them (they were already pretty new), then finally called Gametap Tech Support. The guy was great and spent about 45 min with me, took my DxDiag record, etc., but they could not get it to work. Tried playing in windowed mode, changing video settings, nothing worked. I tried the game from my cd/dvd and it worked great.

My point is that there are differences with the game from Gametap and the mechanics of the downloads that can make it a Gametap issue and not just a game issue.

Regarding the problems I have had with Gametap, I am not frustrated... just concerned. I have been able to run all games except Exile so far, but haven't tried all that many.

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:52 pm 

Oh, I have no issue with people posting their problems here, by all means. I cannot run the myst titles without downgrading my quicktime. And it's kinda setup like Steam, where the files are altered to only run under gametap. I'll admit there are (mostly pc) titles that have issues. I assure you Gametap is working on it. I brought this up at the meeting and it's gonna take time for them to create a workaround for these.

Tim, what kind of processor do you have in your system. I may be able to help.

KI# 00265224

For scraps by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I posted my machine's specs on the other Game Tap thread. I have no trouble at all running any of the MREDU games on it (not entirely true, I haven't loaded the old (CD) release of Riven on this machine) from the physical CDs.

I tried running something like "Egypt 1900 BC" from GameTap. It took a couple of hours to download 517 MB, and when I tried playing it, I found it so hesitating that I gave up, but I did learn a thing or two in the process.

This particular game was a windows 98 game; that might give trouble all by itself on newer equipment.

When the game wouldn't respond, I crashed it with Task Manager. It looks like the way GameTap works is to set up a logical Drive X that emulates the CD from the original game. I'm guessing (pretty good guess, I think) that this is pointing to the folder on my hard drive that actually houses the content of the CD, and that some kind of authentication information is going back and forth over the wire to GameTap.

Bottom line of all this, if the game isn't working, after it has been completely downloaded, the problem is probably on your local machine.

Extrapolating to Uru Live, I was able to play (not download) Uru in the original beta, with a 56K modem. Even a game like that did not really require a huge amount of bandwidth. Admittedly, response was very sluggish, but the game ran. When I got DSL I really appreciated the difference!

So, let's not be too hard on Game Tap. They may be facing some engineering challenges to make Uru Live work, but we need to give them the chance. If you're planning/hoping to be in the beta testing phase of Uru Live, you will have a lot of issues to contend with, all of which is part of the effort it takes to make this thing a success. Be glad you can make a contribution!

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here is the e-mail address set up for GT Issues

[email protected]

I wasn't going to post just yet, because I am still waiting for an updated e-mail address, but seeing the interest here I will post what I do have:(Note: also posted in the original thread)

At times I have had similar problems with slow downloads. I mentioned that this was a problem for other Uru people and got this response from GameTap:

Quote:
Would you ask those people who are having really slow downloads to do this:
- measure their bandwidth at CNet: http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html
- download GameTap (and record how long it takes)
- measure their bandwidth at CNet again
- reset the Linksys router (but not their cable modem)
- measure their bandwidth at CNet again
and email the results to customer support?

Please put “Speed test from Uru live forums” in the subject line and send your data to (will post when I get the e-mail)

Last edited by Texana on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:53 pm 

My gametap experience hasn't been too bad yet. I haven't downloaded a whole bunch of games, but I've tried some of the older arcade games and they seem to work fine. The one problem I've had was with Beyond Atlantis II. It took several hours to download (which I understand, it's a big game), but then when I tried to play it, The introductory cutscenes played at double-time, like really fast. Plus the cutscenes were acting like they were dropping frames. I didn't try to play the game too much, because I figured if the cutscenes don't work, the rest of the game won't make sense. I read more on the game and decided I didn't want to play it anyways. I figure I'll keep trying some of the more advanced games (Splinter Cell comes to mind) and see if they work fine. If I have more problems, I figure I can always call support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:45 pm 
Well Texana it's hard to do what they say when the their site seems to vanish mid download and doesn't seem to want to reappear.

Also on the initial test, at Cnet, it said I am running at 500k which is faster then what I'm supposed to have. Which is probably why they wanted us to download their installer and then retest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think GT will be happy with whatever info you can give them. They are very nice people and are really trying hard to please the Uru community.

Here is the GT email to use for reporting these issues:

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:01 pm 

V, here's the scoop. Gametap has all of this, of course, and tried to help me as they did Dadguy. This is an eMachines. Thanks

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2405 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 2/11/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
User Name
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 724.07 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.41 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

DirectX 9.0c
Just got QuickTime, newest release
Just updated my GeForce FX 5900XT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:04 pm 

God, this is Oblivion all over again. Look guys, it is impossible to test the software with every single system out there. And unless you report issues, they won't go away. When I first bought my dual core system Gametap would not work. I called, and low and behold, it took an AMD driver to fix the issue. I don't care how fast or badass your system is, there is always, ALWAYS going to be a reason that your system is going to hiccup on some software. And yet you guys still aren't listening, so let me repeat this aloud.....

URU LIVE WILL RUN SEPERATELY FROM THE GAMETAP SOFTWARE. GAMETAP HAS NO ISSUES WITH URU LIVE BECAUSE IT IS BEING TESTED ELSEWHERE. BEYOND ATLANTIS II RUNS HORRIBLY FOR ME TOO. QUICKTIME BASED TITLES REQUIRE BACKDATING YOUR QUICKTIME INSTALL TO 6.5 (BEFORE HD). AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, NEGATIVITY WILL GET YOU NOTHING BUT FRUSTRATION. :shock: ......breathing now. About the atlantis thing, oh well, obviously some titles handed over to them from developers are working fine for some people, but it ain't running for me. Such is life. I have well over 500 other games I could play. Nuff said.

Edit: Tim, I can tell you right away....I used to own an emachine. I don't anymore. Every darn time I tried to run anything on it, the cheapie tushie hardware that company puts into it's pc's caused me all kinds of trouble and heartburn. When I replaced the motherboard and onboard mem, the problems magically vanished. Something about most pc makers is that their affordable systems could never be used for gaming. It's killing the pc game market, trust me. And emachines.......they're pc's for family's, not for gamers. But I'll research that info.

KI# 00265224

For scraps by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

As said above, if you are having issues report them to GT. They even put up a special e-mail address for Uru fans to report their problems!

I have had some problems with some games too, and it does look like they are mostly Quick Time issues. However, Uru:ABM works well for me and it only took about 70 minutes to download.

When I had to reload EQ2 from Sony's website it took nearly 5 hours to update after reinstalling from my DVD. Now that is a SLOW download, without cable it would taken days!