It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:07 pm 

Well, JW, yes and no.

I would have gladly, immediately, shown my loyalty to Cyan by sending them a check directly, months ago, if I'd known that it would bring URU Live to life. Most of us would have.

Even though we don't need Gametap to play Live, they need our money, so the partnership is bringing us the game we love and have been waiting for, which is miraculous. And if you get hooked on GameTap games, well, that's the goal, I believe.

So, now, after being swept-up in beta-mania and washed ashore here to survive on nuts and berries under the withering sun, there are two ways to look at things: The best way is to be grateful your game is coming, don't rock the boat, and open your checkbook to Gametap. The other way to look at it is more cynically and bait-and-switch-like, and just be patient and buy what you came for when the real game is released.

I guess I'm just bummed because I soared through my free Gametap month and it was worth to me exactly what I paid for it. I'll wait until the holidays and get the real thing.

Excuse the angst. And thanks for all the additional info.

Tim/CE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
washed ashore here to survive on nuts and berries under the withering sun

Nicely put.

Oh, look, at boat!

:)

Hang in there, Tim.

nerfy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:24 pm 

I found a mirage...and since I live in a fantasy world anyway, I quenched my thirst.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:18 pm 

Location: Southwestern Oklahoma, where the men are men, and the women aren't.
I can't even access the GameTap games... IT says I need an adobe active x file... I had it already but it still won't let me go past the download page...

So... I installed their version and I STILL cannot get past that point on their site. :shock:

I give up. My system is great... it plays games online, it plays games not online, it plays flash games and does streaming videos just fine... :P

... I am very glad that URU Live will not be accessed through that site... geez! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

I really find it surprising that some people are not able to find anything else on GameTap that appeals to them.

GameTap has:
* Classic arcade games. Dig Dug, Galaxian, Pac Man...
* Classic adventure games. The Zork text adventures (can't get more classic than that), Sierra On-Line adventures (King's Quest et al)
* Children's games. Even if you aren't interested in GameTap yourself, you may have a family member who could benefit from some of the educational content
* Carmen Sandiego games. Those are educational for ALL ages.
* Real Time Strategies. I loved Homeworld. I'm currently stuck on level 3 of Homeworld 2. It is a stunningly beautiful game and very fun to play.
* Puzzle Arcade games. Puyo Pop, and Mr. Drilller...

My point is, the GameTap has a lot of variety, and if you think there's nothing of interest in the GameTap library... then please pardon me, but I don't think you looked very hard. GameTap has so *many* games that you may have to sift through a lot to find the games you like, but their interface has a very good categorization system so you should be able to go directly to the types of games that you enjoy most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 pm 

Not to mention Dreamcatcher's 'Egypt, 1156 BC[E]'

A nice set of puzzles. :wink:

And soon we'll have two of the vintage Cyan games available (in the next month).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:07 pm 

And from what I hear if you have problems with missing files or whatever, give their tech support a call after reporting the problem. I think further up in this post explains how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Absolutely - what Sudre says. Don't give up. Don't be afraid to call GameTap technical support for assistance. I have heard nothing but good comments on their support. And I believe they don't connect you to someone for whom English is a second language!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:15 am 

Sorry but I did mistate the error. It is not active x... it is a Flash player... :oops:

I have checked and Java is enabled on my browser and when I've tried to download the flash player (3 or 4 times now) the little movie thing activates and the site says I have the most recent version...

However, the GameTap page still says I'm missing the Flash player :?

When I click the "go on to GameTap homepage" link, I still get the message saying I need to download the flash player... :x

so, I'm not sure how to contact the customer support or whatever, because I cannot get past that silly error download message page thing... :evil:

<sighs> :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:38 am 
Obduction Backer

You know, I hate to tell people to ignore error messages, because it's a bad habit to start, but...

You shouldn't need Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Flash working to sign up for GameTap.

Start here: http://www.gametap.com/uru-offer

... and try just ignoring the complaints about Flash player. All it does is display a bunch of annoying moving pictures in your web browser anyway.

If you would like GameTap technical support to try and help you with the website problem, you could try giving them a call at 1-866-722-5295.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:47 am 

Thank you, Marten, for your kind comments and helpful information. :D

I will try... and hopefully leap the hurdles set in my way.

:shock:

EDIT:

PS- I could not ignore the error page.. it just kept coming up... sooooo... i called customer support. The guy was great, very polite and very patient. After about 15 minutes of looking things over, he had me delete cookies and temp internet pages... and now, I can view the Gametap homepage. Thanks again Marten, for that phone number. I am listing this here, so that if others run into this issue, it might help them through it, as well.

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6