It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Question to Gametap:

I would like to know if/when the Gametap client (the interface that was downloaded and installed) will be compatible with Windows Media Player 11.

Someone posted (on this forum) that they were told by GT tech support that it was not compatible and needed to use WMP 10. I had to roll back to 10...but would like to upgrade again if possible.

Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:49 am 

Yes it has worked for them with no issues as well, in fact i was playing Joust in the challenge room (Atari memories anyone?)with my friend from Denmark. Though I have found the one downside of this and it is that only 2 of the 8 accounts you make (1 master and 7 subs) can be logged on simltaniously(sp?). So unfortunatly I cut them off from it as me and my wife have been very avidly playing with it latley. We got the message logging in this morning together *You already have have the maximum of 2 accounts logged in and cannot exede this* or something along those lines.

As i said though in my original post it has worked flawless thus far. I have downloaded games that exceed 500mb and even get as high as 1.2gig all in under an hour a piece. The longest downloads for me was Beyond Good and Evil (2005 UbiSoft) and Kohan II (Strategy First 2005) both of which weighed in at over a gig, but still finished in under an hour. In fact since my post last night my library has grown to 40 games hehe, and have been pretty much on GT non stop for the last 2 weeks. Maybe there is compatibility issues somewhere? A lot of people mess with their rigs and customize them. I have over heard issues with dual core systems (are you surprised? Almost everything else for the most part has issues with them as well, the price you pay for rushing to have the so called best of the best, when the commercial world isn't up to par) and honestly I wouldn't recommend any dual core unless you are computer literate and know what you are doing.

I don't know really but I must say it is a great service when it works as intended and for me it does just that. I hope the best you guys can make it work for you as well. Also another small point they are constantly adding games.. just 4 days ago there was 12 more games added. Even some notable titles such as Homeworld 2 was one of them. I mean the price of some of the games in their list are still 10-20$ on the shelf brand new. 9.99 really is a great deal esspecialy if you would rather just beat it and be done with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:46 am 

Seeingwhite wrote:
aVoided wrote:
(......i have given 5 friends of mine who live around the world a login and they too run it just fine being in europe canada and even 1 in south america)

Now that's interesting that it works out of the US. I figured they would have a way to recognize the location of the service provider. However, it appears that gametap accounts are solely based on the subscriber's physical address.

Now I am totally confused GameTap states that this service is ONLY for USA
at this time
and many here have tried to sign up even from Canada
and have been refused. :shock: :?:
Can anyone OUTSIDE USA please state themselves here that they are playing Gametap?
If it's true then us internationals have just found a way to get past GameTap signup blocks and get the other games instead of just paying 9:95 just for Live.
That would be cool :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:12 am 

Cats,

Sounds as though the poster is saying that while people outside of the US can't sign up for GameTap, they can use GameTap with an id and password for a subaccount of an account that was created in the states. Sounds as though the hold up may be the financial arrangements and/or server capacity rather than the technology itself. Just speculating from the content of the original post.

Lial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:05 pm 

Yes thats what I meant and speculation.

So if international peeps knew someone in the USA and they trusted us
with one of there sub accounts
we could have access to all GameTap games not just Live.

Of course if it did work this way we would pay the person half the cost
but then again and more speculation wouldn't there be something in the rules for GameTap sharing of accounts
and also seeing the bad side of this with taking money away from Cyan/GameTap they could have made for another
full separate account.

Hmm hope I explained it better this time :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
wouldn't there be something in the rules for GameTap sharing of accounts
There is - only two accounts of the 8 may be in use at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:26 pm 

Yes 2 I know But wouldn't that be restricted to the same account holder
and there family members playing together from the same household.
I don't think it means totally diff continents where GameTap is officially unavailable at this time :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

From GTs WebSite:

Quote:
Solution 2 of 15

What do I need to know about sub accounts and additional players?

Your GameTap subscription has a primary account that receives access to all games in the GameTap library by default.

As needed, you can assign additional sub-accounts to your children. Sub-accounts are used to restrict access to certain games, email and the publicly viewed Leaderboards. Sub-accounts can also be locked, allowing you to restrict access.

Although not explicit, I believe GT would consider 'account sharing' a theft of services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:06 pm 

Texana wrote:
Although not explicit, I believe GT would consider 'account sharing' a theft of services.

Then again if account sharing is a theft of service then why can you have mutiple accounts? It's not hard to add a key, then it'd be one service per computer. They haven't done that. Probably because if I want to play on my account at my dads house on his computer I can. If I have someone living with me and they have a sub-account, they should be able to play it when and where they want. Up to the GameTAP limit of two at one time.

On with another note, if ppl can play on someone elses service from outside the US, then ppl in the US could open a second account with a yahoo (or any other) e-mail address. Then the person from outside the US would use that second account and pay for it thru the US person. They'd also technically be the owner of said yahoo e-mail address. Plus this would add support for Live thru gameTAP. However I do not know if this breaks any laws of this country or the other? Might be skipping over some kind of tarrif or tax.... Denmark comes to mind...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:06 am 
Obduction Backer

I think it might break copyright / licencing laws. These normally have to be arranged on a per region / country basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:00 am 

Well, this will mean nothing except to the few people who know me, but I just cancelled by Gametap account (the free month runs out tomorrow).

I'm not paying for a service I don't want. I have no interest in any of their many games, so why should I pay for game I'm not receiving? I was one of the first couple of dozen here to sign up for beta, and I have not been chosen. So, why should I pay?

The initial rush coming into the beta swept us all up, but most of us are sitting here wondering what's going on. Even UU seems to be neglected.

Anyway, I'm a little ticked off and disappointed, but clearly they are not ready when I am, and I can't foot the bill anymore. And maybe I'm still miffed because I never did receive the URU Live experience promised on the original game package.

I'll check out the free version of URU Live and perhaps I'll pay the monthly blackmail....I mean fee. Or, not.

Anyway, good luck to you all and have a fun.

CountryEastern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:26 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Subscription to GameTap now is just a show of loyalty and support for Cyan and Uru Live for those who are interested in the gesture - nothing more.

Beta participation does not require a subscription to GameTap.

Open beta invitations are sent in the order of signup - after some number of hand-picked selections from GameTap and Turner. Therefor, you were not within the first couple dozen. UruLive.com member number is not an indication of beta signup number. Did you get your signup confirmation recently?

Honeymoon fever is certainly a factor in continued subscriptions.

The Cyan D'mala shard, as differentiated from other Until Uru fan shards, has always been repaired when Cyan personnel return to work on Monday if it goes down during the weekend. It is not officially supported.

Uru Live is still on schedule to open during the Christmas season.

The situation is entirely different than when Ubisoft cancelled Uru Live in 2004.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:34 am 

Tim wrote:
I was one of the first couple of dozen here to sign up for beta, and I have not been chosen. So, why should I pay?

CountryEastern

I just wanted to put in my two cents because after reading JWPlatt's comment I realized something that most ppl may not understand.

There are probably many, up to 50 or more, people that signed up for beta and DID NOT signup for the forum. Let's make that clear. Just because you are within the top 10 on the forum list and you signed up the day it was announced does NOT mean you are number 10 in line. There were top beta testers already on that list possibley even before the list was made public. It's just good business to have your best beta testing the game.

Secondly. Please no one sign up for GameTAP thinking you are going to get into beta sooner. Want to make that clear so no one gets upset like it seems Tim did. I never saw anywhere that Cyan made that statement so it's not something to assume. GameTAP is not blackmail it a show of support and it is completely voluntary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:56 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Subscription to GameTap now is just a show of loyalty and support for Cyan and Uru Live for those who are interested in the gesture - nothing more.

Well, yes and no. I, and many others, are finding that while we wait for UL to launch, GameTap, in and of ifself, is a pretty neat package. Some will like what is in it, some won't. I am having a ball with the games it has to offer so far. There are many I have been interested in taking a peek at for some time now. I feel like for about $10 a month it is really one fantastic deal.

And the games, so far, after the intial downloads, work extremely well and GT's tech support folks are knowledgable and helpful.

Right now, I am having a great time with "Prince of Qin", a sort of picaresque story about the hier to the Qin dynaysty after the death of his father. Looking forward to seeing the terra cotta army.
:D

Oh, and JWP, thought you might like this pic. [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Edit: Oops, spoiler tags don't seem to work here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Beta is international, GameTap isn't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next