It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:42 am 

Quote:
It shows that you (?) didn't disable the onboard chipset when you added the card. You need to turn that off in the BIOS.

Thanks Rusty for your help.

Now, since I have no idea what - or where - the BIOS is - could you PM me with a step-by-step on how to turn the chipset off? My OS is home XP. I might not use your suggestion right away though....Since the set-up I now have has been this way since December of 2003 - and I've been able to play all the Mysts as well as all the URUs - online and off - without any graphics problems, I may hold off on turning off the Intel chipset until I see how things look with URU Live. There doesn't seem to be any interferance between the Intel and the Radeon - at least nothing that I can recognize.

Again - many thanks for your help.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

If it's not giving you any problems you can probably leave it. It's untidy, but changing a BIOS can be risky if you're not sure what you're doing.

Do you know the name and model number of your motherboard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Radeon® 9200 technology is available in three product configurations: Radeon® 9250, Radeon® 9200, and Radeon® 9200SE. The Radeon® 9200 is available in both AGP and PCI bus configurations.

So what makes you think it's agp? I did not see any where that Identified it as such. I had to use a PCI card in my daughters pc cause there was no agp slot. Dell's idea of a bargain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:20 am 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
I think Kero's MB is different since the Radeon is an AGP card. If you have both onboard and a slot you ought to be able to turn onboard off.

Sorry Rusty but I need to correct a spot of confusion. My DxDiag says the 9200SE is a PCI card. I looked under the Device Manager and it comfirms that I only have a PCI buss - there is no mention of AGP. I also checked the back of my computer and my Monitor - a Sony TFT LCD - is connected directly to the Radeon card by a digital - not analog - connector. If I'm reading the Dell symbols correctly it looks like the connection to the onboard graphics controller is a standard analog.

As to your other question about the name of my motherboard - I don't know. I will have to contact the co-worker who bought the computer for me and set it up. I did find - under Device Manager - that my Computer is an ACPI Uniprocessor PC - if that means anything.:roll:

Ja'de and Rusty - I apologize for any confusion caused by my not saying from the start that the Radeon was a PCI card.

Guess I'll just have to wait til URU Live starts to see if the set-up I presently have will work. I'm crossing everthing I can that I won't have to up-grade - at least not anytime soon. :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:48 am 

@ Kero,

Have you tried playing Until Uru as a testing run ?

And if you have any doubts, you should post a question plus a copy of your dxdiag report in this technical forum at ubi.eve. I am sure Heimdall G could tell you a lot about your pc...
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/524109302

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Until Uru does not support Intel-based graphics chips, as it is based on the Ages Beyond Myst and old Uru Live code base, not the updated code base for Uru: Complete Chronicles.

Right now, the only way to see if the game will work on an Intel graphics chipset is to get into the beta test and see if it works on your computer... of course, then you can't tell anyone the results, so it's only useful for you... and the beta sign-up's apparently so backlogged at the moment it's ceased to be even moderatly amusing...

I'd say wait for the official specs to be announced, and start saving your pocket change just in case you end up needing to upgrade and have a PC capable of doing so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:48 am 

Hi Alahmnat,

I made my above suggestion re: this quote from Kero's dxdiag report...
Quote:
My DxDiag says the 9200SE is a PCI card
I suspect her/his pc is using this graphic card for having been able to play all the Urus online or off line.

The problem here seems to be able to check if the other Intel graphics can be turned off. (but I could be wrong about this)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, Ja'de and Kero. One assumption too many on my part. :oops:

Ja'de, do you have your motherboard manual? Did you turn your onboard chipset off when you added your card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:48 am 

Hi Artic_Wagon -

:D I've been playing UU since D'Mala opened up - and I was also in Prologue - so I know my Radeon 9200SE works for the old URU. I just hope it will also work for the new and improved URU - considering I've had it since December of 03. What Rusty was working with me on is the fact that I also have an Intel Graphics controler that came with the Dell. It has not been turned off - but there seems to be no interfernce problems - knock on wood - so I'm going to ignore it until I see what happens when I log into URU Live. I'm just hoping I won't need to upgrade my 9200SE anytime soon.

Thanks for your concern - and I'm a she - as my sig indicates :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:05 am 

Hi Kero.

I am glad for you that everything has been working well so far.

If you ever need expert help, use my above link to Uru/ubi/tech forum re: Heimdall G and post with a new dxdiag report and you might learn some new things about your pc.

Good luck to you and have fun.

Sorry for the "she".

The grumpy old bear.