It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mac Gametap?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:09 pm 

I was looking up stuff on gametap b/c of course, i'm wanting to play Uru Live and the 1/2 off deal for the next year sounds enticing, and then i noticed that they don't support Mac... I'm sad :(

Any news on when they will support macs? or even if/when Uru Live will support Macs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:16 pm 

I don't know that there are any plans for Gametap to support Macs, and the following is from the Uru Live FAQ:

Quote:
While we always hope for Mac compatibility, this is yet to be determined.

So as far as I know you won't be able to play Live from a mac. :(

Perhaps that will change once "boot camp" (is that what it's called?) gets working.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:18 pm 

i would install bootcamp, but unless you have a really supped up mac, i've heard it just really kills preformance because it allocates system resources between the mac and windows side, i could be wrong, but that's what i've heard

and i'd like to avoid t3h 3vi1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:29 pm 

Owehn wrote:
Perhaps that will change once "boot camp" (is that what it's called?) gets working.

You can run Uru through Boot Camp just fine. But that's a far cry from it being a Mac app. After all, you have to dual-boot.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:28 pm 

I feel sorry for macs. I, myself, am a mac fan, but in this day and age it's impossible to get around without a PC.

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:41 pm 

Kedri wrote:
I feel sorry for macs. I, myself, am a mac fan, but in this day and age it's impossible to get around without a PC.

That's nothing but a self-fulfilling prophecy. ;)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:23 pm 

Some people are running Windows programs quite successfully using recent Intel Macs and the Bootcamp software. Uru works in this environment, so perhaps Gametap will too.

I use both Macs and PCs. It's kind of an odd mix. Now I've begun to run Windows software on the Mac (Windows Media Player) and Mac software on the PC (Itunes). Itunes 7, by the way, is a good program. If it could deal with all of my Windows lossless files I'd switch to it. But I don't want to re-copy upward of a thousand CDs. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:47 pm 

I've used Gametap from an Intel Mac successfully. There isn't very much in the collection that interests me, so I've only downloaded two games, mostly out of curiosity to see what downloading and running games is like. Download times are very long, in my opinion, even on a T-1 line and with a pretty capable system. Once downloaded the games run ok and up to speed, I think.

I couldn't download Myst - perhaps because I don't have Quicktime installed on the Windows partition and GameTap "knows it." I need to add Quicktime and try again.

Now if they would just add Deus Ex and its successor..... My MacOS version of Deus Ex won't run on my Intel Mac because it was never updated to run under Mac OS X. :cry:

Until Uru is beautiful and runs wonderfully on the Intel iMac I just bought - 233Ghz, 2 Gb memory, nVidia 7600. I can see detail that was invisible to the 5 year old Dell laptop I've been using up to now. It's like playing a whole new game.

Mind you I'd rather Uru was available in MacOS native form and not have had to pay for a copy of Windows, and antivirus software and do all the stuff you need to do keep Windows secure, to indulge my interest.

Lial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:32 pm 

Lord Chaos wrote:
Itunes 7, by the way, is a good program. If it could deal with all of my Windows lossless files I'd switch to it. But I don't want to re-copy upward of a thousand CDs. :)

No, it really isn't. There are many many file types it doesn't support that programs like WinAmp and VLC do, and WMP at the least supports installing additional codecs, which is NOT true of iTunes...

Plus, it uses tons of resources compared to the alternatives...

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Let's keep this on-topic, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:12 am 

Maratanos wrote:
There are many many file types it doesn't support that programs like WinAmp and VLC do, and WMP at the least supports installing additional codecs, which is NOT true of iTunes...

Sorry to dishonor Alahmnat's request, but this is not correct. iTunes format support can be extended through QuickTime components.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:57 am 

sorry I always thought Itunes went down hill from version 4. I loved Itunes 3 it was everything I wanted, after 3 i started getting all the flaws WMP gave. Which made me switch bac to wmp11 beta since that doesn't have the same flaws.

do ageia do mac drivers? Since Ageia are doing the physics library it would be necessary for a mac port

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:49 am 

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/11/physx/index.php
Quote:
Kathy Schoback instead said Ageia is waiting for the right time and the right opportunity to bring more emphasis to Mac gaming, and pointed out that the Mac platform isn’t the only one that Ageia has had to put on hold as the young company establishes its technology in the marketplace.

Looks like they will do in the very near future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:29 pm 

There are games created for MacOS that use Ageia's PhysX engine, but Ageia doesn't produce a PPU for Macs, only for Windows pcs.

Lial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

this link may be of interest, with regards to PhysX:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/11/physx/index.php