It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: This is a finished game?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:51 pm 

I don't want to come on too strong, but here are my experiences so far with the non-beta product:

By way of introduction, I was reasonably involved back in the old beta days, made some friends, and I'm looking forward to getting back in touch with them.

Today, I log on, go through all the update things, see a problem that happened in the beta and apparently wasn't fixed: all my books are reset; only the 'hood book is on the shelf. Annoying, but maybe to be expected since the game just started 'for real'. So, I link through to the hood, nexus, and in to Ae'gura. Ae'gura, /after/ updating, takes about eight minutes to load, most of which takes place on a black screen with no indicators whatsoever- for a while I thought my computer had locked up. When I finally get to the city, performance drops to unplayability. The most I can do is chat with my KI, and maybe try to get up the stairs. Then, severe graphical artifacts start up- the floor appears and dissappears, along with the KI interface, sometimes all I can see is black polygon walls in an orange haze and two or three textures in odd places. I get frustrated, link out, and go back to the neighborhood in hopes that going someplace that doesn't have 30 people already will make the difference. Halfway through loading the hood a second time, I get the blue screen of death.

My machine ran the original beta fine, mind you, not that the city was ever in really great shape. My graphics card is reasonably up to date, and plays games of similar graphical quality without problems. Is this really the kind of performance I can expect from what is ostensibly a finished product? Or am I, as I really hope, some kind of weird exception?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's not standard as far as I know. There have been several problems today. What's your card and driver version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Today's performance seems to be unusual. I think we are seeing a larger number of people on at once than we have seen before.

I'm not too worried over all. Every MMO I've seen has had problems on launch - I remember hearing that Star Wars Galaxies crashed several servers on their first day. *shrug* Seems to be the nature of the beast.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:34 pm 

Yes, in Tsogal, I had at least three major lockups that took about a minute each to right themselves. Other people had them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:51 pm 

Tooday is "crazy time" The game has been available to all GT players since December. If there is a huge load today, how can you anticipate that? GT has the horsepower to handle it, and they will. Give them a moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

I found performance to be fine before.

If it was me, I wouldn't take today as an example of how it's going to be - if you are one of the people having problems. I have no inside knowledge about how it works at Gametap or Cyan (publisher and developer). But, in my experience with other product releases, sometimes things can get a little rocky, the first day. I'd try again, over a couple of days, and see how it goes.

Last edited by mszv on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:16 am 

Hey there y'all,

For Fra'ni,
Good to see a fellow Tarheel hereabouts.
Just a note, as far as "GT has the horsepower", GT is only the conduit to get to the Cyan servers. GT has nothing to do with the actual gameplay.
When we log into GT and select play, we are sent to and log into the Cyan servers. Any and all positives and negatives reside there, not at GT.
I have had a GT account even before the beta and have never had a single problem with anything except UruLive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, there are numerous players, like me, who can't even get started and/or continue play due to unresolved technical problems at Cyan's end that are not being addressed at this time or even since the beta started.

For all of those people who can get in, actually play and make progress in the game, I am very happy for you. I can't wait to get my nose off of the window and get into the candy store with everybody else.

BUmjelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:22 am 
Obduction Backer

BumJelly, now thats something I don't want to envision, LOL

Post subject: Nexus problem
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:41 am 

Hi all

Well, so far I'm not impressed. The new link is the same as delin as far as I can tell....looks to be a multi player puzzle...still haven't gotten to finish delin, as you have to get a group together that can work together..... or work together around the horrible lag time.....hard to do sometime, and I don't get a chance to get on often...

Nothing new in the city as far as I've been able to tell. Been kicked off 3 times when in the Nexus...as long as I don't use it, I'm fine??? Weird!

I like to do the multi player, but as I said, I don't get alot of time to get on the game, and I'd like to at least get to do some single player stuff....do they plan on putting out new ages that we can play alone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:24 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

bumjelly wrote:
Just a note, as far as "GT has the horsepower", GT is only the conduit to get to the Cyan servers. GT has nothing to do with the actual gameplay.
When we log into GT and select play, we are sent to and log into the Cyan servers.

It's a moot point, but I think you'll find that the game servers are Gametap's - A reverse DNS lookup on the IP addresses will return names like uruapp-cw01.ibs.aol.com - AOL and Gametap are both Turner companies. Back when Cyan did run the servers, the names were ???.urulive.com.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:15 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
It's a moot point, but I think you'll find that the game servers are Gametap's - A reverse DNS lookup on the IP addresses will return names like uruapp-cw01.ibs.aol.com - AOL and Gametap are both Turner companies. Back when Cyan did run the servers, the names were ???.urulive.com.

The game servers are at aol but the file and auth server are hosted at Cyan.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:36 pm 

Tiran wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:

The game servers are at aol but the file and auth server are hosted at Cyan.

No, not any more.

Code:
ataraxy:~ chucker$ host beta-auth.urulive.com
beta-auth.urulive.com has address 64.236.117.68
ataraxy:~ chucker$ host 64.236.117.68
68.117.236.64.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer uruapp-cw04.ibs.aol.com.
ataraxy:~ chucker$ host beta-file.urulive.com
beta-file.urulive.com has address 64.236.117.68
ataraxy:~ chucker$ host 64.236.117.68
68.117.236.64.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer uruapp-cw04.ibs.aol.com.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:53 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
bumjelly wrote:
When we log into GT and select play, we are sent to and log into the Cyan servers.

this may or may not mean that gt is hosting the servers. the only info you can really glean from this is that its a box hung on aol's network. doesn't necessarily mean it's sitting in the gt/aol server farms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:55 pm 

Firesign wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:
bumjelly wrote:

this may or may not mean that gt is hosting the servers. the only info you can really glean from this is that its a box hung on aol's network. doesn't necessarily mean it's sitting in the gt/aol server farms.

No, but it's likely. And since Cyan has no such thing as a server farm, nor a reason to invest in one, and since AOL has a huge server farm, it wouldn't make any sense for Uru not to be hosted at AOL.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:56 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I said it was a moot point because, depending on how you want to look at it, all of the preceding posts are "right", in a way -
Bumjelly's original point about being forwarded to the Uru Live servers from the Gametap client is certainly true, and GT won't directly influence "gameplay" (whether they influence "storyline" might be another question, though)

But the servers are (almost without a doubt) "owned" and maintained by Gametap (I guess in reality they probably lease all their servers from AOL, in some kind of outsourcing deal), but they will in effect have been handed over (administratively, not physically) so that Cyan can deploy their code, manage the vault, etc. The proof of this is that the IP of www.gametap.com is 64.236.22.81 and all the Uru Live servers are 64.236.117.xxx - if you do a whois on these you find that all the IPs in the range 64.236.0.0 - 64.236.255.255 belong to ATDN (AOL Transit Data Network).

Anyway, the point is, there are currently 20+ game servers for Uru Live, so it ought not to be creaking under the strain, and if it really is then I think it is within Gametap's gift to beef up the provision. But I suspect the problems some folk are seeing on "Live day one" are more likely down to anomolies in the load balancing strategy, which will get tweaked out as the true loading becomes more apparent.

BTW: I think the old "beta-file" and "beta-auth" servers have been "retired" and replaced by simply "file" and "auth" (64.236.117.87 and 88 respectively).

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]