It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:56 pm 

Hey Y'all,
I'm just wondering if the connection problems, "set active player failed", "No response from server", etc. might be happening because of different browsers and/or versions of said browsers such as IE6, IE7 or Firefox ?

I havn't read anything, anywhere about this. For all of us having these ongoing problems, it would be nice to hear from everybody as to what browser your using, what version, when it was installed etc.

I had IE6 - 6.0.2900.2180 in December. Played the beta with no problems until the vault wipe in December and then had ongoing and consistant problems thereafter. That's 2 months now.
I installed IE7 on Jan. 13 / 2007. :shock: Oooooh, Me no likey. Bad juju dat date !

A long shot for sure, but you never know. Any and all info that gets back to uru support can only help us all out.

Bumjelly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

bumjelly wrote:
Hey Y'all,
I'm just wondering if the connection problems, "set active player failed", "No response from server", etc. might be happening because of different browsers and/or versions of said browsers such as IE6, IE7 or Firefox ?

URU doesn't use a browser at all - it has no need to. I therefore cannot see how this could possibly be the problem.

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:31 pm 

I was refering to the problems about when URU aborts after the error messages and you are bounced back to the GameTap interface or the desktop.
Then , for some, GameTap and IE are locked up and won't go online to try again unless you reboot. This is just a part of the overall problem.

This is shown/documented in the posts for "Connection Problems".
http://urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php ... c&start=60

Bumjelly

Last edited by bumjelly on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:57 pm 

Huh. The only time I've had GameTap refuse to start until I rebooted was when my graphics drivers were really out-of-date. Could that be your problem?

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:08 pm 

I don't think so, but you never know. I think I checked before the beta testing, but I'm not sure.
My graphics card is a ATI Radeon 9600 XT AGP 8x/4x with 128 MB DDR memory. I've never had any problems, graphics wise, with any other program or game on my PC or online.
It has been a while since I checked for updates, so I'll try that today. It can't possibly hurt to eliminate that as a cause. Thanks for the suggestion.

I also have been wondering about the fact that I upgraded to IE7 last month and if that has anything to do with it. I have had GameTap since late Nov. with plenty of games and downloads without any problems. It only happens with Urulive after the "set active player failed" "No response from server" errors.

Geez, my head is starting to hurt. Too much thinking. Time to give it a rest.
But then it's problem solving that is why we are drawn to adventure games in the first place.

Bumjelly
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit : I checked on an update for the ATI Radeon 9600 XT and there was one. In checking my current driver version I found that I hadn't updated afterall.
Old version.......v. 6.14 9/12/03
New version......v. 8.33 12/16/06

Thanks for the heads up. :D
We'll see if it makes any difference. Hope so !!!

Bumjelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:36 pm 

I run Firefox, Thunderbird and a spam filter alongside URU and I don't have any problems. I'm not on a fancy machine either, though I have stripped out some of WinXp's bloatware.

Of course, I don't get the "set active player failed", "No response from server" problems, and, in my case, the '0 seconds remaining' is caused entirely by how the 'UPDATING' software handles (or more accurately doesn't handle) heavily loaded internet routes.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:01 am 

During a two-day, multi-hour debug session with GameTap Tech Support for those problems, it was recommended I switch from IE to Mozilla Firefox. That seemed to help eliminate the problem of not being able to get the debug software dumps to GameTap. The Tech Support guy indicated that, on occasion, IE doesn't play nice with their servers/routers/debug software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:28 am 

IE doesn't play nice with lots of things. The switch to Firefox is well worth it, especially if you get the AdBlocker add-on which cuts out a whole lot of ads, and which you can customize (to cut out more, or to allow ads you are interested in).

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:47 pm 

I never experianced Firefox completly locking and needing a reboot after being dumped to desktop. What i have seen is it can take a minute or so before it will respond after a CTD or sometimes just logging off. My guess as to the reason is that MOUL takes a while to release ports after closing down and until it does the browser cant communicate.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]