It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 am 

There's a little publication called The Archiver. If you've heard of it, cool, if not, also cool.

What we're looking for is some freelance contributors for the publication, to help make it even better than it already is. Issue 13 is running with a theme of "Beyond Uru". We're looking at how the community is reacting after the MOUL closure, what people are doing now, how the community is staying together, and also hopes for the future.

There's plenty of room there for creative writing, journalistic writing, analysis, opinion, etc. What we really want is people to help write some of this stuff. Articles only have to be around 500 (a bit less than an a4 page in standard fonts in Word), though if you would like to write more, or indeed less, that is negotiable.

If you are interested, send me a pm, or an email at archiver[at]thecaverntoday[dot]org, and pitch your story idea to me. If I accept it (which is highly likely), then feel free to go ahead and start writing, or if necessary we can delegate elsewhere. But, really, we want people outside the mag to help write, in addition to us poor souls at the mag :P

This is a no-strings attached affair. If you pitch an idea, and we accept, to be fair, we do expect you to follow through on that. But in all other cases, we expect no further obligations from our freelancers. You may only want to contribute once, or maybe on and off on a consistant basis. No forum signups or any other logins are required, and you wouldn't have to join TCT or any of its affiliates. You simply have to mail me your contribution, and your byline plus a blurb (provided by you) will accompany your article in the next issue of The Archiver. I am happy to sub-edit contributions, so if you have concerns about the quality of your writing, that most likely won't be an issue.

Any further questions can be directed to me via this thread

Thanks for your time.

~Narym
Editor

EDIT: Do not contact me at the given email address, as it is currently experiencing technical problems. PMs only please :)

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Last edited by Narym on Sat May 24, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:13 pm 

Bump. :(

Come on people, I know there are plenty of people out there who are nice, creative sorts. If coming up with an idea is too hard, pm me and I'll give you one. And, as I said, word limits are negotiable.

Contributors get year free subscriptions as well. Bargain!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:10 am 

Bump again. These are my personal comments and in no way endorsed by the TCT.
No takers? This is demoarlising for me as I started writing because of MOUL and I would love to continue but if we don't get fresh talent and ideas then I fear that it will end. I feel there is still much we could write about. Myst movie progress, The whole as in the big D'ni picture, the community in other worlds, fan ages, fan creative writing like Hitana and about the explorers themselves plus many more.
By looking at alot of blogs I can see that you all have what it takes and there maybe many more who think they are not good enough. I say give it a try, I did, what's the worst that could happen. Cue Dr. Pepper music.

I would love to see the Archiver continue until Uru returns (wishful thinking I know, well positive thoughts are never a bad thing).

Please show your support for our local newspaper and contribute so we can keep this alive.
Take care
Szark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:43 pm 

have you done more in-depth pieces about the Guilds and what they are doing now that MOUL is over?

I know that the Writers Guild and the Guild of Maintainers is still going strong. Not sure about the others though.

Might be good to contact the Guild leaders for info about the guilds.

www.guildofwriters.com

http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/index.php

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:59 pm 

Guild of Messengers is going as strong (possibly even stronger) than ever. If you want to talk to the Guild Master, contact Marten.

(But then, Narym, you already know this. lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:16 am 

Kierra and Lynnutte thank you for your comments and ideas but ideas at the moment is not what we need. What we realy need is more writers. PLEASE
Szark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:50 am 

Quote:
fan creative writing like Hitana

Thanks for mentioning me, Szark... :oops:

Well guys, I thought about it since the first time I read that post. I'm not really creative at the moment but if you can live with a writer who probably just needs a bit help on ideas, than you can count me in.

I usually don't write regularly because I think it's better to get in a certain mood but if you need regular posts, I can do that. It might just not be the best... :roll:

Greets Hitana

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:27 am 

I could cry right now.... But I won't :P

But in all seriousness, it means a lot to us that people have put up their hands to help. The quality doesn't matter so much, that can be worked on. What I really want at this stage is quantity.

I've gotten a couple of pms from people, plus indications of interest from people in this thread. I want you all to know that I've taken notice of these pms, and that if I don't reply to you instantly, it's cause I'm working on ideas to give you guys, so give me a day or two and I will get back to you in some shape or form.

And props to Szark for helping bump this thread along properly ;)

EDIT: Oh, one thing that everyone can do (or atleast, people with at least a partial artisitic bent)...

I would like to have one or two mock ads in The Archiver. So, ads for imaginary products with some Myst/Uru association. Pictures and other elements would be appreciated to accompany the ads. Anything goes, except it mustn't be obscene or explicit (that goes without saying :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:22 pm 

Sorry, wish I could help with the writing bit :(

Been suffering from an 8 year long writer's block (well, when its gone on that long its probably a good indication its never coming back, huh? :cry: ). I tried typing up a quick little "article" just to give it a go, but didn't get past the first sentence. :(

Good luck though!

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:05 pm 

Narym,

You should ask Ace if you can use his travel posters as ads. They're really super. Here's a link to a sampling of them.

Lial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:30 pm 

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion Lial. I sent him off a pm :)

Freelancers, we are setting a deadline for Midnight, Monday the 2nd, UTC (see here for appropriate timezones. ALL submissions for this issue MUST be pmed, or otherwise received by me before this time, or they will not be published in the upcoming issue. I have submissions from a lot of you already, which is good, it shows you can work to deadline :P

After this, we will then have 4 weeks before the next submission date. I will either supply further ideas to interested parties, or (preferably) you will pitch me your own ideas. Remember, all most anything even tangentially related to Uru will get a look in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:52 am 

Just a quick note. Deadline is in 18 hours. IF you're still intending to get stuff to me, that's how long you have ;)

Oh, and also. Contributors, can you pm me a short blurb about yourself (either your avi or yourself, doesn't matter) plus at least a link to an avi shot. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:53 pm 

Ok, thanks to all the freelancers who've pitched in. We have a bunch of great content in this issue, thanks to your help.

Issue 13 will hopefully hit newstands in (fingers crossed...) two weeks.

Anyway, if anyone would like to pitch something in for Issue 14, we have a content deadline of midnight, 30th of June (so, Sunday night) UTC. Submission are welcome! And if you're stuck for an idea, but you really want to write (and see your name in one of the cavern's most prestigious publications :P), ask me and I'll help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:26 pm 

I got a short Paragraph on research I did In Teledahn on the mushrooms in here somewhere if your interested, I could use it as a foundation for a story, but my inspiration seems to come and go with out notice, My muse as it where is not on call, she stops by from time to time and if I am near a PC or have pencil and paper on hand Im lucky if not :oops:

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... c&start=15

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:50 pm 

Several of us from the Guild of Greeters are playing regularly in Guild Wars. Would you like to have any stories about that?