It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:26 pm 

Lehm wrote:
March 21st

Overall shot of the Hall. Only a few major bits left to do.

Now that its getting closer to completion. I'm starting to wonder about its surroundings. The notes say the government plaza was built around it. Probably means its surrounded by government buildings. I haven't seen any concepts on what those might look like. If I'm eventually going to make this into a proper age...kind of need to know. So if anyone wants to petition Cyan for any other concepts they have concerning the hall. Much appreciated.

Just so you know, I pm'd Chogon concerning this. Here's his answer:

Quote:
Hi >>JP<<,

That looks pretty impressive.
As far as concept art for the Guild Hall (or any other area in MOUL), you would have to ask RAWA. I don't have access to any of that stuff.

Thanks,
Chogon

I've already PM'd RAWA.

In the meantime, however, there's lots and lots of already released concept art that you could model... want me to dig some up for ya?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:40 pm 

I'm curious as to whether or not Lehm would be interested in modeling the City Proper based on the few shots we recieved a little while back?

(I'm kidding, nothing of that grandeur [... yet])

Might I suggest something along the lines of some of the unreleased Ages like the pods of Venalem? Again, this is up to Lehm, and I'd love to see whether or not RAWA replies to that PM of yours, JP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:48 pm 

I'm curious where this will lead. Whether it gets pulled in by Cyan or ends up in a fan age of its own, I believe it will end up in the game.

I wonder how Cyan will consider their fan art being used to make models for the game? I suspect they may consider that their plans for any future content they want to make. However, like many concepts they may have gone another direction and have no problem with it. RAWA's response will be interesting.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 pm 

Nalates wrote:
I'm curious where this will lead. Whether it gets pulled in by Cyan or ends up in a fan age of its own, I believe it will end up in the game.

I wonder how Cyan will consider their fan art being used to make models for the game? I suspect they may consider that their plans for any future content they want to make. However, like many concepts they may have gone another direction and have no problem with it. RAWA's response will be interesting.

I'm wondering Nalates, if Cyan would allow users such as Lehm to do "modeling" of structures or even entire Ages, and Cyan took charge of other "phases" in the pipeline such as texturing and activating/integrating the interactive portions of the Age?

It would save the company time, and Lehm has certainly proved that there are users capable of putting out high-quality work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 am 

If Lehm's not interested in concept art, I might be.
(I do have some experience in Blender, though not much in working from sketches, yet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:55 am 
Obduction Backer

I am totally tempted to just sit here and keep hitting refresh until I see another update.
Awesome job!
Epic thread!

MOULagain KI #63214
Most fun I had in URU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:

Historically Cyan has always asked us not to touch 'official' material they might work on (such as published concept art); I would be surprised if they approve this project as the 'official' Guild Hall.
However in this precise instance I'm not sure whether this particular design has been approved or rejected (seeing how the Guild Hall in the game is quite different from this design). If it has been rejected things might be different.
At any rate this is a very nice work Lehm is doing, and an interesting modelling exercice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

JayGee wrote:
I am totally tempted to just sit here and keep hitting refresh until I see another update.
Awesome job!
Epic thread!

Unfortunately my pace has slowed somewhat. As eviction nears I've been spending more of my time looking for actual work. It's a tough market out there at the moment.

Quote:

Would be cool, but I very much doubt that would happen. Whether it ends up as a fan age...there are quite a few steps that have to happen before that can become a reality.

Quote:
Might I suggest something along the lines of some of the unreleased Ages like the pods of Venalem? Again, this is up to Lehm, and I'd love to see whether or not RAWA replies to that PM of yours, JP.

Don't have any intention of doing any of the other concepts. I just thought this one looked really nice and fairly self-contained. The city while an interesting concept is rather massive, with dozens of buildings. It would take over a month for one person to attack that. So unless I'm getting paid...

Quote:
Hi >>JP<<,

That looks pretty impressive.
As far as concept art for the Guild Hall (or any other area in MOUL), you would have to ask RAWA. I don't have access to any of that stuff.

Thanks,
Chogon

Cool it will be interesting to hear the answer...if we get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:09 pm 

aloys wrote:
Nalates wrote:

Historically Cyan has always asked us not to touch 'official' material they might work on (such as published concept art); I would be surprised if they approve this project as the 'official' Guild Hall.
However in this precise instance I'm not sure whether this particular design has been approved or rejected (seeing how the Guild Hall in the game is quite different from this design). If it has been rejected things might be different.
At any rate this is a very nice work Lehm is doing, and an interesting modelling exercice.

The situation is a bit different now. Cyan is in no condition to develop new content themselves; at the same time, Uru has gone Open Source, which opens up a multitude of new ways for the fans to collaborate with the company. Well, many a fan has already stated that they'd rather see official Cyan content than fan-created one, and I think the same is true for the majority of the members outside the fan community - i.e., they want high quality stuff; so if this demand isn't satisfied in the near future, MOULa won't be able stay afloat for too long (or it will turn into another UU and bye bye Open Source). But we also know that Cyan doesn't have the resources to do this either.

However, what Lehm is doing here is pretty much a win-win situation: he is creating high-quality, "official" (in the sense of "based off of official Cyan designs") content in a moment when Cyan can't do this themselves. So I think it would be highly benefitial for Cyan to support this project as best as they can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:02 am 

Marcus Wheeler, on what Cyan might let us model… I’m clueless. It would be great if they let some fans work on their some of their planned material. They have surprised me a couple of times now.

Aloys, your right. There are lots of ifs. Cyan has said stay away from their stuff. They may or may not have a problem with it and allow it in game or not. While you are probably right, they have made statements about what they will or won’t do but exceptional fan effort has been recognized and changed their mind. UU is a good example.

Lehm’s model looks good. Still, my hope is it ends up in game somewhere. JP makes good points on how things have changed. I think that tilts the odds in favor of it being included somewhere. We’ll know when it happens.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

March 24th

Just a few things updated. Only a few minor bits to do such as floors. I'm going to leave it perfect for now. I'm still intent on doing a complete textured version. But I'm going to wait until I know what I will be able to do with it before taking those steps. Besides I would still want to compete the entire plaza model if I can before texturing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:15 am 

Lehm wrote:
March 24th

Just a few things updated. Only a few minor bits to do such as floors. I'm going to leave it perfect for now. I'm still intent on doing a complete textured version. But I'm going to wait until I know what I will be able to do with it before taking those steps. Besides I would still want to compete the entire plaza model if I can before texturing.

Nice changes to the upper segments of the Guild Halls, mate.

On another note, you say you're going to leave it "perfect." Are you still intending on doing a "destroyed" version? If so, maybe working on that, rather than texturing, would be better until you know what you can do with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 am 

Nalates wrote:
Marcus Wheeler, on what Cyan might let us model… I’m clueless. It would be great if they let some fans work on their some of their planned material. They have surprised me a couple of times now.

Aloys, your right. There are lots of ifs. Cyan has said stay away from their stuff. They may or may not have a problem with it and allow it in game or not. While you are probably right, they have made statements about what they will or won’t do but exceptional fan effort has been recognized and changed their mind. UU is a good example.

Lehm’s model looks good. Still, my hope is it ends up in game somewhere. JP makes good points on how things have changed. I think that tilts the odds in favor of it being included somewhere. We’ll know when it happens.

Hi, I remember once reading in the Guidlines someone wanted to make Faresh's House and as I remember RAWA said essentially. You can make it, and you can say it maight be Faresh's House but you are not certain, but in the end it comes down to what Cyan decides whether it is or it is just Office building 14B (I hope you realize I am paraphrasing.) So when this beautiful project is done Cyan will decide yes or no what it is. And whatever they decide we must accept.

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 am 

By what you've just said mate, we could always flesh this out and call it a "copycat" Guild Hall, put it in a secondary Cavern or closed-off region, and be done with it.

No "canon" breached on that account... but again, gray area up to Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

March 26th

That will do it for now ladies and gentlemen. Yes braking and coloring things is intended for the future. There are two things I could do next. I could model some more of the plaza, but that requires more concept art. So waitin on Cyan on that one. Or I could test out the mesh in game see how my poly count fairs in the plasma engine. But would need a max 2010 plugin to do a proper export...so once again waiting on Cyan. Besides I have better things to do at the moment. Such as prevent homelessness. It'd be nice to avoid that if I could. Thanks for watching...hopefully its not the last that is seen of this.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next