It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah fellow explorers,

Just a quick announcement that my web site project (accessible by clicking on my signature), called All Things Uru, is beta-ready... sorta. The Relto Library and Museum is close enough to ready that some intrepid beta testers (volunteers anyone?) can trek in and let me know what works, what doesn't, etc. I've tested as well as I can via PC/Mac and with IE/Firefox/Safari.

[spoiler]An OOC comment for clarification: I have added explorers' works to the library and categorized them according to how the explorer labeled their work. So fan fiction is on the Poetry and Fiction bookshelf; restoration work is on the Research and History bookshelf.

Also, I haven't yet figured out how to contact all the explorers whose works I've included in the library, so some things are posted without explicit permission (yet). If you see your works in the library and do or do not want them included, please let me know explicitly either way. If you see someone else's works there, please PM them to let them know what I've done so they can let me know if they approve/disapprove. Thanks!![/spoiler]
What I know--Safari refuses to display the PDF books properly in the browser windows, which I hope to work around at some future date by making all the documents into flip books (time/$ constraints in the meanwhile). The PDF images (e.g. tapestries) need to be converted into lightbox popups. And I have yet to conquer the canen; right now, the only way I could get the image map code to work right was to pop up the sound file (instead of having it play in the background). Any javascript gurus out there who have done this before? The rollover sounds and onclick sounds don't work either (more help from JS gurus is badly wanted!).

The Nexus still needs a lot of work (where's Laxman when you need him???) and will be a separate project during "all my spare time". Much of the destination restoration work is done, but the chore of getting the Nexus linking books working properly still remains.

However, the Library and Museum are intended to be used by all Uru explorers who have a desire and interest. So, now that things are in the early working stages (a la the great DRC tradition with their limited Age pre-releases), have at it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
[spoiler=Nit]Sorry, but I'm unable to think IC once I see the word, Uru. To me, Uru is a game in which we play IC and visit the D'ni cavern, but IMO, the word "Uru" should never be mentioned in IC conversation.

But, if you have a new & different IC definition for Uru, then please explain.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
[spoiler=Nit]Sorry, but I'm unable to think IC once I see the word, Uru. To me, Uru is a game in which we play IC and visit the D'ni cavern, but IMO, the word "Uru" should never be mentioned in IC conversation.

But, if you have a new & different IC definition for Uru, then please explain.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Pick]"Uru" is mentioned several times by DRC members - go to the DRC forum and search the DRC Discussions for "Uru".

Example
On Jul 23, 2003 11:01 am, Dr. Watson wrote:

Vic,

Another group of Uru explorers has arrived. We're definitely going to need a way to get official messages to all of them. How is your progress on posting DRC messages to the imagers in the neighborhoods?

Dr. Watson

I think Jeff Zandi introduced the term (IC) but I can't find the relevant source.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:51 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:

Well your opinion is not everyones opinion it seems.

Quote:
The word "Uru" means "city" in Sumerian and also has a side meaning of "deep", and, of course, anyone who knows our storyline knows it has to do with that deep city.
- Rand Miller

Also the official story refers to Uru as: After years of learning, the younger Zandi is finally comfortable bringing others to an uru (a D'ni word meaning "large gathering" or "grand community").

For reference to the official story: uru official story with thx to Eat_My_Shortz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I stand corrected, then. Thank you Zardoz & Geert for enlightening me. :)

Post subject: "Uru" in the Deep City
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone!

Hmm, an interesting conversation has arisen here. My own small addition to the thoughts already expressed:

I'm guessing that Zandi got the term "Uru" from Yeesha, and that historically this term has been used as something of a reference to the Yeesha/Zandi approach to life as an explorer in the Cavern (as opposed to the DRC approach). We first hear the word during Yeesha's initial hologram speech at the Cleft:

".Sora .reKUan treKleft preniv legloen b'rem
    Oh, yes. Not in D'ni. They won't understand.

Once again the stream in the Cleft has begun to flow. It was dry for so long. The water is flowing in from the desert. The storm is coming.

Have you heard of the city? The deep city, the ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds..."

(lifted from the MYSTlore web site.)

Happy exploring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 am 
Obduction Backer

I see you have the Lara papers in there; let me assure you that I'm happy that "The Chinaman's Eye" is included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:55 am 

Cool project, Ainia! At last, I can explore Uru in my browser. :wink:

Here are my two (2) cents:
1) It would be nice if you could change all your background images to .jpg's, instead of .png's. Some of them are approaching 500 KB, when a .jpg would be under 100 KB. The long loading time of the images breaks some of the immersion ("windowshade" effect *shudder*).
2) It'd be fun to replace the default cursor with original game cursors. 8)

Best of luck as you continue to add stuff!

Post subject: Thanks for the feedback!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah belford and KongDriver,

Many thanks for the feedback to you both. I'm glad to have your "offiicial" approval belford. And I will look into your suggestion about the jpg format KongDriver (not sure how much time it might take, so no promises about promptness). I like the suggestion about the cursor too. I'll see what I can figure out.

Beta testers rock!!!

Post subject: Quick update
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again,

Just a quick update in regard to KongDriver's suggestions. The images are now (almost) all jpg, so this should help with faster load times. I'm working on getting the cursor suggestion implemented. So far, getting the default cursor changed is easy via CSS; however, getting the imagemap hotspots to show an altered cursor is not. I would think that there would be a CSS setting to cover this, but I have yet to find it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know (post here or PM).

Many thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 pm 

Perfect, the images are loading much quicker!

As for the cursors, you can use :hover (assuming it works for 'area' tags :?: ):
Code:
area:hover {
  cursor: ...
}

Post subject: Thanks but...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah KongDriver,

Thanks for the suggestion...

[spoiler=but...]it seems that
Code:
area
and
Code:
hover
don't play together. There are lots of discussion threads out there about how to solve this little problem (a customized cursor on an image map) but thus far, none of the suggestions I've found seem to work in this situation. It should be a simple CSS setting, but apparently is not. And then there are the cross-browser issues... :? *frustrating*[/spoiler]

Post subject: Custom cursor update
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah again,

Just a quick update regarding the request for custom cursors. I've done my best to get this up and working and am finding it nearly impossible to make things work correctly in more than one or two browsers. So here's where things stand browser-wise:

Win IE: default custom cursor works :); standard link rollover custom cursor works :); imagemap rollover custom cursor doesn't work :(; sound on/off rollover custom cursor doesn't work :(
    Win Firefox: default custom cursor works :); standard link rollover custom cursor works :); imagemap rollover custom cursor works :); sound on/off rollover custom cursor doesn't work :(
    Win Opera: no custom cursors work :( :( :( :(
    Win Chrome: no custom cursors work :( :( :( :(
    Win Safari: default custom cursor works :); standard link rollover custom cursor works :); imagemap rollover custom cursor doesn't work :(; sound on/off rollover custom cursor doesn't work :(

Bottom line: in Windows, Firefox will let you use the familiar Uru cursors pretty much everywhere (so is the browser of choice if this is important for your Relto Library experience).

I will see if the code for the sound on/off button can be tweaked to show the custom cursor (hadn't really worked on that bit yet anyway).

I will post the lowdown for Mac browsers later.

Welcome to the world of cross-browser compatibility and browser standards compliance, the source of migraines for web designers everywhere! :wink:

[[Edit: Tweaked list formatting for readability]]

Last edited by Ainia on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Custom cursor update
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Welcome to the world of cross-browser compatibility and browser standards compliance, the source of migraines for web designers everywhere! :wink:

+1 :D

Post subject: Fixed it!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah yet again!

A really quick update: I fixed the code for the sound on/off button and it's now showing the custom cursor properly. Hooray for the little victories! :D

(And thanks Lyrositor for your response!)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next