It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fan Content
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:48 pm 

I've known for awhile now that one of the bottlenecks to fan Ages is a central place to access the new Books separate from Cyan's content. I'm actually working on my own answer to that for the interim until a proper Nexus can be finalized.

Like Andy Dufresne did for Shawshank, I'm buildin' a library. I'll present more when things are further along. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:07 pm 

Two libraries would be a little redundant, but a little competition might be a good thing.
I never lose by trying. I will only lose if I don't, because im more into the entertainment
value of age writing and 3D graphics, for me its just a hobby most of my stuff has never been seen.

The best video game I ever came across is 3DS Max, Plasma plugins and Uru
Create, export, explore, The limits of which are only that of your imagination.

Uru CC is updated as often as I create one, which is why I keep pushing everyone
in to trying age writing, you get an idea of whats involved, give the new version of
Korman a try and get in on the ground floor of its development and who knows
the next update For Uru might be yours

The Gateway team has splintered quite a bit and as far as new content is concerned unless its being kept a secret
I've heard very little, hopefully they'll prove me wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Last edited by Karkadann on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:35 am 

Bump! Any cool updates for this on the horizon? :D

~Yeesha~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:12 pm 

"If you're disappointed by the lack of new content, grab a graphics program, get some tutorials, and create some ages yourself. Show up. Dive in. Persevere. Sometimes you'll win. Sometimes you'll lose."

and then you can post YOUR update's. According to the law of averages the more people we have creating ages for MOULa the better our chances of getting an update.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:26 am 

I started building ages a long time ago before Cyan released the 3dMax stuff. I have ages available through Drizzle resident on Deep Island and always wanted to migrate them to 3dMax and MOSS but I just did not have the time.

Recently (for a given value of recent) I spent near on 6 months working through my Blender file for my primary age Enobmort, re-naming objects so I could import it into 3dMax.

When I did get that done Autodesk had killed access to the 32bit support I needed to import my Blender file.

More recently I found that the GoW had released a Blender addon Korman that would allow me to take my Blender file and export it in a format viable for MOULa and Alcugs.

I am patiently awaiting release 0.6 of Korman which I hope will have support for ladders an essential part of all of my ages.

I think I have the patience I require, I recently went digging and was able to establish that I participated in adding content to Until Uru over 11 years and 4 months ago. That’s taking the date as 5 September 2005 and only because that’s the first date stamped file I can find. All earlier ones have vanished into the either. Note that was before the release of PyPRP.

I can absolutely confirm that waiting is the only option when it comes to wanting something from Cyan. :wink:

Being a player that’s been online with Uru since the original Ubisoft admin error I have seen initiatives come and go.

I have always been of the opinion that Uru needs new content and have never ceased to be amazed that it has survived all these years with so few changes.

I agree we do need some way to get fan content onto the primary MOULa shard and we do need a fan Nexus of some description.

I have seen a lot of discussion about adding a pedestal in the existing Nexus with a disclaimer is an option I find appealing.

For now Ghen, Deep Island, Drizzle, DirtSand and MOSS etc. Has to be the primary way to test and assess new contributions putting experimental contributions into MOULa is just too radical.

That said we really do need some new areas to explore even if these are just small pocket ages where you can visit as a group. Puzzles and interconnections can always be added later.

Consider the City has over time had new links added nominally added by the DRC think Mintaka, The pod ages etc.

There has been talk of adding the new nexus pedestal in the existing Nexus but there are already unused pedestals in the City.

Also if you want to look at the Fan ages there are over 130 available via Drizzle. I know there are people who have been stopped from using this access because they do not have an original Uru Complete Chronicles.

I can tell you Drizzle will load onto a Good old Games version of Complete Chronicles available for under $10 so not really a bank breaker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:47 pm 

Just to give you all an update, things are going very well with the library:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

FYI, the Linking Books are, from left to right: Tre'bivdil, Fehnir House, Vothol Gallery and the Ae'gura GoMe Pub...all Ages that have been tested and work quite well in other MOUL-based shards.

NOTE: This version of the Pub has been modified to not replace Cyan's as it has on other shards. They will coexist on the MOULa server, as I assume that would be Cyan's wish.

It's my hope that, along with an additional PRP for the city (for a new Linking Book) or a new link in the Nexus (whichever is easiest for all concerned), this will be the first batch of new content for MOULa sometime in the near future. The trick will be setting everything up so all Cyan has to do is drop it onto their server.

I'll work with everyone...from OpenUru.org, the Guild of Writers, The Open Cave, and eventually Cyan...to see if we can make this happen.

Just remember to keep donating to the CAVCON (Click that handy "Donate" button above!) to keep things running and to boost the funds so we can eventually pry someone at Cyan away from Obduction for a couple of hours to help get things running on their end when the time comes. ;)

Keep the dream alive, my friends. Let's make it happen in 2017!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:03 am 

Looks good Doobes. I am keeping my fingers crossed for it to become a reality.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice picture! I saw it on Facebook but I’m glad you’re posting it here too so I can comment. I love the lighting here, the way the light is pouring in through the windows. There is something odd about it though that irritates me: The edges of the windows cast sharp shadows, but the grating on the window does not. Is that just not finished yet? I wonder if it would still look as good when you add a shadow of the grating.

Also, is that dark lower left corner of the linking books intentional or did you forget to split an edge there?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:59 pm 

Christian Walther wrote:
The edges of the windows cast sharp shadows, but the grating on the window does not. Is that just not finished yet? I wonder if it would still look as good when you add a shadow of the grating.

Sadly, I have not been able to figure out how to cast light through partially transparent textures yet, assuming there even is a way. If not, I have other ideas on how to do that. ;)
Christian Walther wrote:
Also, is that dark lower left corner of the linking books intentional or did you forget to split an edge there?

The book mesh is rather basic. I may just do a small lightness for it. Trying to keep from doing that too much, since I've been trying to scale back the texture PRP from the 600 MB it had grown to. :P

In any case, no worries since I'm aware of those and other things that need work. The Age will probably also go through some peer review before it's final release. WIP and all that. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:46 pm 

Doobes2 wrote:
Sadly, I have not been able to figure out how to cast light through partially transparent textures yet, assuming there even is a way. If not, I have other ideas on how to do that. ;)
These are baked shadows, yes ? I think you only need to tick "Receive Transparent" in the Shadows section of the receiving material. The shadows will also be colored by the transparent texture.
This obviously won't work with dynamic shadows, though.

However I don't think having static links to the new Ages will solve the issue, even if these are in a pretty library. If static links were a solution to getting fan-Ages on MOULa, this would have been done years ago. But that's just my opinion - don't let my skepticism kill your enthusiasm, that wasn't my intention.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:14 pm 

Sirius wrote:
Doobes2 wrote:
These are baked shadows, yes ? I think you only need to tick "Receive Transparent" in the Shadows section of the receiving material. The shadows will also be colored by the transparent texture.
This obviously won't work with dynamic shadows, though.

Yeah, I think I tried that, but I'm not sure. Couldn't hurt to try again though. Korman does bake the lightmaps and hopefully, that'll do the trick.

Sirius wrote:
However I don't think having static links to the new Ages will solve the issue, even if these are in a pretty library. If static links were a solution to getting fan-Ages on MOULa, this would have been done years ago. But that's just my opinion - don't let my skepticism kill your enthusiasm, that wasn't my intention.[/size]

It's a bit more simplistic, I'll admit, but traditional linking books are easier to wire than a fully functional Nexus, which has been the goal, but waiting for it has also held up the gateway. Again, this is more of a stopgap measure until said fan Nexus can be completed. I'll also be working with the GoW to see if we can get a simpler way to rotate books in and out.

Either way, barring a massive influx of approved fan Ages, I doubt the Age will need more than a handful of slots for books initially.

EDIT: Tried casting light through the texture again. No dice. I'll have to come up with another way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Maybe a projection light would fit the bill?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:06 pm 

I think I may have gotten it working! I'll post a screenshot here once the export goes through and I see if it did the trick. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Doobes, since the windows are uniform, an easier approach may just be to make a static shadow texture for the bars that would be used as a decal on the floor. Unless the age has a day/night cycle, which even then can be done, you'd just need to give the texture itself a animation along its UV coordinates and opacity.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:36 pm 

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Doobes, since the windows are uniform, an easier approach may just be to make a static shadow texture for the bars that would be used as a decal on the floor. Unless the age has a day/night cycle, which even then can be done, you'd just need to give the texture itself a animation along its UV coordinates and opacity.

Day/night cycle would certainly be a challenge and doable with Korman (although I personally haven't gotten it to work yet).

We'll see if I feel like getting clever now or for a later update. :P

EDIT: Well, traditional lightmapping did the trick. Probably need to make them a touch softer, but here it is:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

EDIT 2: Softer shadows...and a view of the countryside:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

EDIT 3: Primary texturing is complete...although I'm far from done. Have a look:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next