It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fan Content
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jmp12 wrote:
Sounds cool! Can't wait to see the screenshots! You've basically put a year of work into this project matthornb, :shock: we all owe you a pretty big thanks for that! :)

Seconded, thirded, and fourthed.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ditto! It's been a pleasure to watch this project progress from talk to concept to reality. Or near reality. Or virtual reality. Or whatever you want to call it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:01 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
I think things would maybe need to work differently from what you're suggesting, Karkadann: You seem to be assuming that there's free choice and the option to take whatever ages you (we) like to put into MOULa. I rather think that the author(s) of the age would need to first offer or submit their age for consideration - there could be all sorts of reasons why they might not want their work in MOULa and that choice needs to be respected. People could of course be prompted to submit if fans feel the work is worthy.

There would likely be a need for the author(s) to license the age for redistribution by Cyan and to assert that there's no copyright on any part of the content that could give Cyan a problem (and that's one good reason why an author might not feel their age could go on MOULa). Only the author can assign a license or rights grant and if there's onward redistribution to other shards then that's maybe something else the author might want to think about.

At one time, the Guild of Maintainers would check out ("inspect") fan ages and write up reports on them, which is kinda like your suggestion in the second paragraph, but again not everyone wanted their ages "inspected" and could feel put out if some comments appeared critical, especially when the age creator considered it to still be a "work in progress".

It would be good to get the Guild of Maintainers involved on this. I think people would be more willing to accept criticisms in this situation--where the Ages are actually being considered for a specific end, and not simply judged on their own merits. It might be good to call for volunteers from the other Guilds too, just in the interests of representation. Do we need Cyan approval for the Ages we put up?

I know the Gehn's Shard Ages should be perfectly fine, and Andy Legate's "Serene." But I suppose this really isn't the place to discuss that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 pm 

LENGTHY SEVKOR UPDATE

Before I go any further on this, here are some tentative changes to Sevkor. If any of them meet with strong negative reactions from large parts of the fanbase or Cyan Worlds, they can be rolled back. I am still not sure what the best direction is on this.

Library Two:
Lanterns: new designs include books, pens, and some abstract shapes. Lanterns are now mostly pitted rock and glass, not wood, and the entrance lantern design hangs from a rock buttress now.
The central lanterns have small finials with the D'ni script 'Sevkor" engraved around the rim.
Sitting area around table: More smoothly curved.
Floor: Abstract rock carving is supposed to resemble an abstract labyrinth over geometric tiles. Generally speaking, less wood, more rock in the age generally, as this is typical of D'ni architecture.

Library One:
Carpets: New design suggests the established D'ni guilds as connected to, and explorers of, the Great Tree of Possibilities, which grows from a central cosmic source and light (Yahvo, IC?) The arrangement of stars and nebulae near center bear an indistinct resemblance to the shape of the Cyan Worlds logo, which is intended as an acknowledgement or homage - Cyan Worlds as the center and creator of the Myst canon. This can be further abstracted, or removed or replaced entirely, if Cyan Worlds (or the fanbase) requests it be changed.
Floor: Again, less wood, more stone, with a lot of variously colored tiles, many of them pentagonal.
Chandelier: Metal, Gems and stones in a pentagonal arrangement. Another addition to the library.
Upper level: Wood is more detailed in texture now, with smaller surface detailing.
Spaces between sections of library one: have abstracted metal arches.

Passageways between the libraries: More even floor carpeting, with less obvious tiling. Wall textures are modified to line up more cleanly when the hall transitions to stairwell.

A slightly more extensive set of images appears on http://www.Mystfanart.net.

Sorry that things have gone slower than I'd planned on - I'm still in process of getting this to Uru: CC. These are renders, not in-game screenshots - the in-game screenshots will likely have slightly lower-res textures in places but will otherwise look very similar. I've got other stuff going on and a job that's pulling me away from working on Sevkor. I had some deadlines there recently.

What else? - I backed the Obduction Kickstarter with $45, and also sent a smaller payment to the MOULa fund. I know you all said I have 'put a year of work into Sevkor' but that's not really true. It's more like two months of work, scattered in little fragments across about a year. I work on Sevkor when I can spare the time... lately I feel like I'm developing some sort of tunnel vision where I don't know if what I'm doing on Sevkor is any good or not. I could use feedback at this point about what is working and what isn't. My attempt was to make this all feel more D'ni, and more detailed. I am not sure if I'm successfully achieving those objectives.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:55 pm 

It looks pretty good, Matt. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh, wow! This looks absolutely awesome and inviting already with warm colors and beautifully furnished ... I also like the new Great Tree carpet with the D'ni icons ... Thank you, matthornb, for keeping on brainstorming and building despite your busy life and for sharing your development stages and progress with us ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:07 pm 

Ok, my first question is, is this a D'ni Age, or a Fan-Written Age? Because those are two very different aesthetics. As a purely fan-Written Age, it's fine. The textures all look a little too new and fresh, i.e. there aren't many shadows in the corners, but other than that it's fine.

However, as a D'ni Age, it would need some work. Remember that until now, any D'ni location has seen no visitors for well over 200 years. It should look that way. Imagine if you never went into your house for 200 years and suddenly visited it. It would look terrible, even after clean-up. That's part of what makes all of Cyan's D'ni locations look convincing. Extreme wear.

Some suggestions: darken the corners of the textures to make it look like dust buildup/shadows. If it looks even remotely fresh, something is off.

That said, this needs to be combined with good color contrasts (which you've already done). So my suggestion is, add cracks, make the wood look funky, and every single corner should have shadows or dark spots.

I would also suggest putting in grout-lines between the pentagonal colored rock faces on the lower floor and then increasing the contrast. In the current images it looks more like a rug than a stone surface. Cracks also always help remind people that something is a rock-face.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:31 pm 

Calam wrote:
Remember that until now, any D'ni location has seen no visitors for well over 200 years. It should look that way. Imagine if you never went into your house for 200 years and suddenly visited it.

Part of the backstory for Sevkor is that the DRC had dicovered this Age, but was using to store books they hadn't yet approved for public access in the Cavern-- including, possibly, some mysterious books of undetermined origin which do not appear to have been written by D'ni authors (i.e. fan-created Ages) ... The DRC kept Sevkor somewhat secret, and it has only recently been 're-discovered'. So we can assume there may have already been some restoration and clean up & it wouldn't necessarily show 200 years of neglect.

Also-- Matt, I am mightily impressed by these new screenshots! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:46 am 
Creative Kingdoms

The DRC had nothing to do with it, except require a disclaimer to that effect.

:wink:

Oh, and it is an explorer-created, not fan-created (IC). Therefore, I suspect whatever matthornb creates is canon and can establish its own style. He is the one doing the work, and an artist's work can be to their own vision. I would urge that it not be done by committee. ;) That's not to say we can't make creative suggestions. Only that matthornb can certainly choose what fits his vision from among them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:57 am 

Good points there, Calam.

While HarveyMidnight is right that the DRC may have done some cleanup of dust and the like, I do imagine there'd be a bit of wear and tear in other ways that would be less easy to restore.

I think I'll layer in a few cracks and defects... but only a little as I don't want to delay things much more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:43 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
Oh, and it is an explorer-created, not fan-created (IC). Therefore, I suspect whatever matthornb creates is canon and can establish its own style.

You make an interesting point.. there has to be SOME degree of canon that explorer-created Ages might adhere to... as to how explorer-created Ages started being written in the first place. WHO was down here in the cavern, prior to the presence of the DRC or maybe even present at the same time as the DRC..... secretly conducting classes on how to use the Art?

Or was it an experiment... several explorers taking on the task of teaching THEMSELVES how to write Ages?

It would have to be a flexible enough canon that 'real' (OOC) fan-Age creators will use it.. but such a backstory could give a MUCH bigger role to Sevkor. If Sevkor also had stores of blank books and ink left behind by the D'ni, it may have been the perfect place for post-D'ni, modern day authors to begin the practice of writing Ages anew.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:57 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
The DRC had nothing to do with it, except require a disclaimer to that effect.

:wink:

Oh, and it is an explorer-created, not fan-created (IC). Therefore, I suspect whatever matthornb creates is canon and can establish its own style. He is the one doing the work, and an artist's work can be to their own vision. I would urge that it not be done by committee. ;) That's not to say we can't make creative suggestions. Only that matthornb can certainly choose what fits his vision from among them.

He asked for feedback, so I offered it. He is free to do whatever he wants. I am not suggesting that he has to do it the way I said.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:25 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't have any real suggestions, as everything appears to be coming along quite nicely. But I just wanted to comment on a *second* apparent Cyan logo appearance. Anyone else think the sitting area and table in Library Two looks a lot like that? I thought it looked so much like the logo that it must have been intentional, but apparently not? Perhaps just a serendipitous emergent property.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:43 am 

Yes, the Cyan logo was something I had consciously in mind when making that sitting area... though I realize now that I haven't mentioned it.

It's a blueish seat wrapping around a table with paper and pens in the shape of a C! So right there you have something loosely resembling the Cyan logo, right next to the tools used to make ages.

It's absolutely a variation of the same thing; a reference to Cyan Worlds as authors of worlds.
But it also suggests that the source of creation is something more central than the game studio itself.

There's sort of a series of concentric circles in both of these scenes. There's the initial source of creativity and inspiration, embodied in the pen and blank sheet of paper, or the light in very center of the carpet, and things sort of spread outwards from there. Cyan Worlds is inspired to write ages, and in the process they inspire us to do the same. This whole age is the transition point where Cyan's work in Uru is handed off to the fanbase. So that is certainly expressed in some way.

Regarding my progress - I've added a few cracks and additional defects. Not as many as Calam might want but hopefully enough. Suffice it to say that I'm working on wrapping this project up and handing it off to the next group. I think that'll happen within a few days, maybe a week. I'm trying to optimize the textures and reduce detail where it'll cause the least damage to the quality of the age. I have a nice pretty super-high-res version of (Sevkor) and that's great, but whatever I can do to make it run passably on older PCs I should try to do. Sometimes that means mapping things more cleverly. It means modifying the arrangement of UV maps a bit more to minimize the amount of wasted space on each texture image.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Great, great job here Matt. Can't wait to link to this library and explore it myself. One (kind of funny) observation: every time I look at your carpet design I see either a Christmas ornament or a big blue tomato. :lol: Makes me hungry for a salad!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 71  Next