It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fan Content
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 pm 

That's... random. :lol:

Yeah, sometimes it's best not to take this stuff too seriously. This should be fun!

Yes, I want to do a good job and yes, there's a sense of responsibility - that I need to do my best here to make it into MOULa - but it's also a very creative and rewarding process and one I'm definitely enjoying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:11 am 

I like all the new designs, but I can't tell from looking at the chandelier if the curved parts are supposed to be made of wood or metal. Some sort of bronze? Seems too thin to be wood.

But I like the lanterns, carpet, archway, new colored stone tiles, and so on. Cool stuff! Oh and the carved floor is really cool. Did you do the texture for the carpet in photoshop? I'm wondering how you got the spacey effect and such. That's cool too!

I agree with the add cracks suggestion, which you already implemented, and I'd also add two suggestions, though I don't know if there's time for them? For one, I wondered if there's going to be a little booklet anywhere to read to tell the backstory of Sevkor? People visiting it won't necessarily have read through this thread, and if they wonder about the aesthetic then knowing the backstory might help. And it'd just be cool to have such a booklet. If you put in a book object and the texture for the background when the player opens the book to read, then when you hand it off maybe the next group could add the text and scripting and such? Would the next group be capable of such an endeavor?

If you do add a booklet, my suggestion would be to hide it somewhere near the later parts of the age, rather than in the beginning, so it's something they have to explore to find, but that's just me. Or it could be in the open, but I like hidden stuff. :P But that depends on if there's time for it and if the next group could do the scripting. But it does seem like having something in game to explain the backstory could help.

Also, someone mentioned that if Sevkor had a store of blank books and ink that could help explain where the explorers are getting it all. So, maybe a crate full of blank books or something? That could be kind of cool. That would probably be a lot more work than the first idea though, I'd think.

But suggestions asside, you've done an amazing job! Your saying it's only been 2 months of work scattered in little pieces just makes it more impressive, because it seems like a pretty large and detailed age for two months work. I think all the time that's gone into it is worth it, and being able to read through this thread and watch it form has definitely been cool.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:20 pm 

Im kinda wondering since it seems that Cyan have abandon their plasma engine for something better if they would be willing to post a link to the plug-ins they last used, with some basic documentation on the updates :mrgreen: as out dated as it may be it would be a shame to let it go to waist

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
Im kinda wondering since it seems that Cyan have abandon their plasma engine for something better if they would be willing to post a link to the plug-ins they last used, with some basic documentation on the updates :mrgreen: as out dated as it may be it would be a shame to let it go to waist

Karkadann, what plugins are you refering too?

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 am 

The one's they used to make Myst 5 and MagicQuest

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:19 am 
Obduction Backer

I doubt either of those plugins can be released as they are not a part of Open Source. Only the version of Plasma used for Gametaps interation of Myst Online has been licensed under Open Source.

MagicQuests plugin is the same as ours. Their are no additional bells and whistles too it. It's just a different compiled version of the client. I imagine the prps from MagicQuest would be compatible with those from MOUL. They just changed the dialogs around, added a few animations for the avatars. Changed out the resources for the client. Changed out the server stuff for MagicQuests servers and boom.

Myst V is another matter. That did have additional shaders, and a couple of additional components. However that version is different enough that the prps are no longer compatible with POTS or MOUL/MagicQuest.

You'll never get either as I said, they're not part of open source anymore then the POTS version of Plasma is. However if you really want what later versions of Plasma have (IE Myst V and Cosmo Osmo) then I'd suggest pulling some programmers in to work on putting those bells and whistles into it. Again, there's not much of a difference except cosmetic stuff. The big differences is the network code was stripped out of later versions. MOULa/MagicQuests versions are unique in that they are a backported and forwardport of POTS's engine mixed with Myst V's.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Code:
Cross posted from Guild Of Writers:

So, this morning I wanted to do some work on redesigning the KI. Trying out various things etc. I decided to test a long standing theory of mine that we could enable a new style of scrolling for the Chat and Age Player list.

I present to you SCROLL BAR!

KIRedesign

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

looks great, and very clever :D

Dumb question: It looks to work faster, but would it still be faster than the current system when we have loads of people - eg as we did when RAWA visited the Cavern - or would lag make your approach slow to a crawl too, Chloe?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Acorn1 wrote:
looks great, and very clever :D

Dumb question: It looks to work faster, but would it still be faster than the current system when we have loads of people - eg as we did when RAWA visited the Cavern - or would lag make your approach slow to a crawl too, Chloe?

I have no idea how it would work with loads of people. Which is why I haven't implemented it for the player list. There's only me and a few others on my test shard, so there's no way to tell unless I test it somewhere with large groups.

I'm assuming it will work the same as in the video, at least the chat area. I didn't show it in the video but you can stop the arrow anywhere in chat screen, not just at the top or bottom. Continuing to chat won't affect it all that much. But again, without testing it in large groups I have no idea how it would react. It's an already made gui class in plasma though, and scrolling was implemented during Choru, but was abandoned when they redesigned the KI. The sliders in the volume settings of the KI use the same type of control as the video shows.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gosh, if it did work in high volume chat situations that would be very handy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Very nice, Chloe. Does the location in the chatlog remain fixed if new chat comes in while you are scrolling? That's one of the annoyances we face at present, that the chat constantly drops down to display new lines as they are entered.

Also, is there any way to link the scroll function to the mouse scroll wheel,for those of us that have them? Much easier than locating a pointer and pulling it about

The other place we could really use scroll-wheel function (and location fixing, having the display fixed even if new entries arrive) is in the Age/Buddies/Neighbours name list. Is it possible to think about this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:07 am 
Obduction Backer

AlanD wrote:
Very nice, Chloe. Does the location in the chatlog remain fixed if new chat comes in while you are scrolling? That's one of the annoyances we face at present, that the chat constantly drops down to display new lines as they are entered.

At present, with limited people testing it, it seems that it doesn't drop down. What happens when you're scrolling while chats are coming in is, if you're holding the scroll bar while the chat comes in, the chat remains still. If you're higher in the list and not holding it, the chat remains still but the button moves upwards in the list incrementally. Again, this is only with two or three people in the age testing its functions.

Quote:
Also, is there any way to link the scroll function to the mouse scroll wheel,for those of us that have them? Much easier than locating a pointer and pulling it about

I'm sure, it would be feasibly possible. However the mouse wheel is locked into the zoom function of the camera. So if you're in an age where you can zoom the camera, it's the scroll wheel that controls that. I'd have to wager a guess that there would be have to be a new GUI class to control scrolling with the mouse wheel, and even then you'd lose the zoom function with the mouse if the age has it.

Quote:
The other place we could really use scroll-wheel function (and location fixing, having the display fixed even if new entries arrive) is in the Age/Buddies/Neighbours name list. Is it possible to think about this?

The other place I plan to implement the scroll function is in the age player list. Unfortunately I have only limited people using my home test shard at the moment. I'd like to test this with a much larger group of people on a shard. But until I do, i can only implement the scroll for the age player list, not test it out.

Hint Hint To shard owners with a large number of players that can test these new changes. You know where to find me 8)

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:56 am 

Scrolling chat on the KI...! Now that's something I've been waiting to see for a long time now! Awesome work!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:25 am 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:

Hint Hint To shard owners with a large number of players that can test these new changes. You know where to find me 8)

including shard owners with some potentially large seasonal parties coming up soon....?. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:24 am 
Obduction Backer

So, I looked into the sources. It seems that the Drag function for the Player List is going to be a bit more difficult to implement than the one for the chat area. Parts of the client are going to have to be rewritten for it so it's going to take a bit longer than I had anticipated to get that working properly. Soonish though.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 71  Next